"Will You Take Our Picture?" in WDW

I often offer to take someone's group photo if it's obvious the picture taker should be in the photo as well. I do not have them recirprocate for two reasons--I do'nt hand my DSLR to anyone who I don't know. I do'nt worry about them running off with it, but rather dropping it. But even more important, I hate having my photo taken, and because we're locals often we're there for just a few hours and do'nt take pictures on every stop in to a park for half an hour after dinner.

Anne

ducklite said:
and because we're locals often we're there for just a few hours and do'nt take pictures on every stop in to a park for half an hour after dinner.
Anne

That would be ME!!!

DestinationDisney said:
does anyone know how much the photopass disk is?
We just came back from Disney last week and paid $99 for a cd of 452 pics....
They were shocked when they saw how many pics that we had in 9 days.
You can print your pics at home and save $$$$ I have printed up to 8 x 10 s with great results! :banana:

MarkBarbieri said:
I carry a large, expensive DSLR with me when I travel. I frequently get asked to take other people's pictures. The problem is, I haven't a clue how to work their camera. I usually forget that it will take a long time between when I press the button and when the picture goes off. And the worst is that I'm not even a good photographer. I just love it as a hobby and buy expensive gear in an attempt to compensate for my lack of creative vision. The lesson is that just because someone has serious photographer gear with them, don't be so sure that they'll take a decent photo with your camera
I often think the same thing. People ask both dh and me to take their picture and I've always suspected they think we must know what we're doing because we have expensive kit. How disappointed they must be when they get their photos developed! :teeth:

We've never asked anyone to take our picture, but people do often offer and we always accept. It's never occurred to me that they might run off with our camera.

Don't offer but rather let them ask.

This guarantees no problems with running off with the camera because they upon asking will already have had the chance to think about the subject. Also they will then get the scene framed right and tell you what button to push.

Going the other way, if someone offers to take your camera to take your picture, you can always say you are embarassed to be seen in pictures and easily get out of the situation.

I do not think Disney will do a "lockdown" at the turnstiles to help find a stolen camera. An abducted child? Maybe.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

makinorlando said:
I believe the CD is $99.00

Ouch!! :eek: This is a little steep to me, considering most of our Photo Pass pictures this past February were mostly of the same pose, just taken from different angles. I think we'll stick with ordering a few that we REALLY like from PhotoPass, and the rest will be from our own camera.

Thanks for the info though!!

I used the Photopass idea, but if there was not a professional around, I carried a disposable camera with me. It was a nice one, not the cheapest I could find, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper than my digital. This way, you don't have to worry about someone taking, dropping, or not knowing how to use yours.

MarkBarbieri said:
Just give it to someone that looks slower than you.

I carry a large, expensive DSLR with me when I travel. I frequently get asked to take other people's pictures. The problem is, I haven't a clue how to work their camera.

I find the same thing. Because I have a bigger DSLR (Nikon D70 w sb800)people often ask me to photograph them. I know nothing about their cameras and hope that the auto setting they use comes out decent. They usually hand it to me and say "just press the silver button." and I'm hoping that when they get home they have something. I'm even more worried with film cameras because I can't see a preview! I'm not going to run away with their camera and am happy to help. Many are very intimidated to take return photos of us with the D70 so we have an Olympus P&S that we use that for and on sunny days it shoots perfect shots.

makinorlando said:
I offer all the time when we are in the parks if I see a family that is trying to get a shot and you can tell that there will be one person left out.

I have not ever had anyone turn me down.... I guess I look trustworthy enough, and although not a DSLR - my S2 is ALWAYS around my neck! In most cases it has not been someone with a intimidating camera though!

That's me - makinorlando - the friendly local picture taker.

As others have said - the Photopass is another great option...
Hey, I don't think I've seen any photos of you AND your daughter - I see lots of your daughter, but when is the friendly local picture taker going to ask someone to take Her picture :goodvibes

If asked I always try to help out although as others have said I'm use to my camera and forget sometimes how to use a P&S. :blush:

I have had people offer to take our picture but I only let a CM take my camera. They took a few pictures for us and did a very nice job. :) If it were dropped there would go my job. That being said Dh doesn't even touch it often because he is afraid of dropping it so in the 8 days we were there last month I was in 3 pictures.

seashoreCM said:
I do not think Disney will do a "lockdown" at the turnstiles to help find a stolen camera. An abducted child? Maybe.

I also said or at least security would be watching for anyone looking suspicious,,,and who in their right mind would pay the admission price and then leave early just to steal a camera... a lot less risk taking one from one of the many camera shops on 192...

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I also said or at least security would be watching for anyone looking suspicious,,,and who in their right mind would pay the admission price and then leave early just to steal a camera... a lot less risk taking one from one of the many camera shops on 192...

I would definitly agree with letting a CM take your picture. Especially now that the photopass photographers are hired by Disney. They have been trained on how to handle their own cameras as well as guests. You are not even obligated to take a photopass picture... a common misconception. They will take a picture with just your camera if you so desire. But its always good to have the photopass just in case. Also don't be afraid to make suggestions... they are willing to work with you if you want to do a different pose. They will even move to a nearby spot if there is something else you'd like to have a picture with unless of course they are with a character.

I strongly agree with bringing a disposable camera to hand to people. I don't want my camera dropped by a stranger (they'd feel awful, and I'd feel worse!).

I don't worry so much about someone's running off with it at WDW, but when traveling in cities, it's given me great peace of mind.

People sometimes laugh when I grab the camera out of my bag instead of giving them the one in my hand, but it's been the perfect solution for us.

I love when people offer to take our picture. It's so kind, and we always appreciate it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter