Wizarding World of Harry Potter

As you might have guessed given I posted this topic I was very excited with this addition to Universal IOA (and yes an addition...not a whole park at all...) but now I'm not so excited. I'm a huge HP fan and love the books and movies...but the reality of this addition looks less than magical. :sad1:

Ellen DeGeneres took her show recently to Universal Orlando and went behind the scenes to look around the WWoHP with a couple kids. [you should be able to find video on her website ellen.tv]
Let's just say I was VERY VERY VERY underwhelmed. :sad2:
Even the Potterhead kids didn't seem very impressed.

I didn't go to Universal or IOA this past december because to me these parks are a case of - once it's done...it's done...not much staying power. So I wouldn't bother going until after the WWoHP opened.

But looking at the prices they keep insisting on charging I just don't think I can justify the cost of visiting even WITH WWoHP now. :headache:
I mean the post saying $750 for 5 of you???? You could do heaps of Disney stuff for that price...
Now in reality I probably would because the new coaster Rip Rocket looks SERIOUSLY AWESOME!!! :thumbsup2
But it just seems to be another case of Universal failing to deliver. :confused3

I'm hoping that when I eventually do go it will be good...but I'm going to be going in not expecting much so I can't be disappointed.

I wish Disney could have done this and added REAL pixie dust magic to it all :wizard:

I saw the behind the scenes look on Ellen too and was also underwhelmed. I'm hoping that they were just trying not to give too much away though. I'm still holding out hope that it's going to be awesome.

I thought it looked quite nice for something not open yet.

The Themeing looks really detailed and as the whole experience in the castle will take about an hour (as they say) I'm sure there is lots of different places in there that haven't been shown yet.

The only thing I actually didn't like was that owl in the clock tower, which flew out as in a cuckoo clock. I hope they will cover up all that mechanical stuff a bit better.

While previous releases from Universal Orlando have cited roughly an hour’s worth of entertainment from the moment visitors step into Hogwarts Castle in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter addition to their Islands of Adventure theme park, the actual Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride portion of the attraction is now revealed to last around 4 minutes.

This number was included in an article in the May issue of AAA New York Car and Travel magazine, as part of a larger look at the Wizarding World.

The Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride will begin when guests take a seat upon an “enchanted bench” that will whisk them away through memorable scenes from the Harry Potter book and movie series, including a Quidditch match, a trip through the Forbidden Forest, and more.

Other interesting new Wizarding World details in the article include the fact that Moaning Myrtle will make an appearance and that the Ollivander’s Wand Shop that will be found within Universal’s version of Hogsmeade Village will be a “branch store,” as any die-hard Harry Potter fan will tell you that the “real” shop (as described in the books and depicted in the films) is located in Diagon Alley.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will have its grand opening on June 18, 2010.
Link
I'm not sure the "Enchanted Bench" sounds promising

Edit:
I found this though...so there may be hope!!!

From Harry Potter Heads to Universal Orlando:
“One of the most detailed lines winds through Hogwarts Castle, past the Portrait Corridor and through Dumbledore’s office to Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, a cutting-edge contraption that has caused speculators no end of agony trying to guess its contents. It would be a shame to give it away, but here is the CliffsNotes’ version: a four-minute ride flies (sort of Islands of Adventure’s Spiderman meets Disney’s Soarin’) and interacts with characters, as well as—the ride host does warn you it might become too intense—heights, speed and, heaven forbid, spiders.”

Although AAA is a reputable source, keep in mind these details haven’t been officially released by Universal.

Spiderman is the best ride in Universal and Soarin is brilliant...so if this is true...*fingers crossed*

This is just an FYI...

All thrill rides have a height limit – “You must be this tall to ride” – and the brand new Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride at Universal’s Islands of Adventure is no exception. You must be at least 48 inches tall to ride. But it’s not the mimimum height some guests are having trouble with, it’s their width.

Forbidden Journey is located in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. It doesn’t have its grand opening until June 18, but they’ve been holding previews each morning. It seems many guests have been saying they can’t try the new ride because they can’t fit in the seat.

Banks Lee is one of those people. Banks is pictured above left, meeting Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Creative. (Thanks to Banks for letting us post his picture.) Banks is 6 foot 2 inches tall and weighs about 310 pounds. But it’s not his height that’s a problem with the seats.

Dragon Challenge (formerly Dueling Dragons), the Incredible Hulk Coaster and other thrill rides use a similar over the head restraint that is used on Forbidden Journey, but Banks says this is the only ride in the Orlando area that he hasn’t been able to go on. (Although he does use special larger seats those coasters offer.)

Forbidden Journey isn’t a roller coaster, it’s a new type of ride in which the seats are on the end of a robotic arm, which moves along a track. (Learn more about the ride here.) Are the seats more snug to better hold the guests in, or is it used as a built-in weight limit? The ride doesn’t have any inversions like the roller coasters mentioned do, but it also doesn’t have the forward momentum to hold guests in their seats either. Maybe since the ride is still in technical rehearsals, the seats will be adjusted to allow larger guests, but there’s no indication that is the case.

If you’re worried you may not fit in the seats, there are special test seats outside Hogwarts and just before you get on the ride. The seats must click three times or you can’t ride. Banks was able to get two clicks with the help of a strong “wizard” working the attraction.

But Banks is the kind of guy who takes a negative and turns it into a positive. He’s made it his goal to lose enough weight to be able to ride Forbidden Journey. In fact, he’s just started a blog so everyone can follow along and track what he’s calling “Banks Lee and the Three Clicks”.

Full Story

Am I the first one to have been?

It is amazing! My DH is not a HP fan and even he was blown away. The attention to detail is fantastic and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is hands down the best ride I have ever been on!

It is smaller then I expected and the crowds were out of control. We stayed onsite at Loew's Royal Pacific which was a great decision. As hotel guests we were let into the park at 7.30am, so we did HP two mornings in a row and were done with it by 9am when the crowds were just arriving (and lining up for hours just to get in!).

I'll work on a proper trip report and try to get photos up soon, but just wanted to say how fantastic it is :).

Am I the first one to have been?

It is amazing! My DH is not a HP fan and even he was blown away. The attention to detail is fantastic and Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey is hands down the best ride I have ever been on!

It is smaller then I expected and the crowds were out of control. We stayed onsite at Loew's Royal Pacific which was a great decision. As hotel guests we were let into the park at 7.30am, so we did HP two mornings in a row and were done with it by 9am when the crowds were just arriving (and lining up for hours just to get in!).

I'll work on a proper trip report and try to get photos up soon, but just wanted to say how fantastic it is :).

Ehsmum, can you tell me about the ride Forbidden Journey? Is it a simulator, how scary is it?

No, not a simulator, not really a rollercoaster either. It's so hard to explain, but you sit in a straight row (next to each other, not one behind the other), then Hermione casts a spell and you start "flying", and you fly through scenes from Harry Potter. The only "scary" part IMO is the dementors that come flying at you.

The story is that Harry, Ron and Hermione are sneaking Muggles into Hogwarts to watch a Quidditch match but of course all sorts of things go wrong, the dragon escapes and chases you, the dementors try to suck your soul out, Aragog spits in your eye, the Whomping Willow tries to thump you etc.

I recommend it to everyone but especially if you're a HP fan. The actual line for the ride is amazing too. Even if you're not going to ride, you have to go through the line with whoever is riding as that's the only way to get inside Hogwarts Castle. The paintings talk, Dumbledore and H, R and H all appear (as holograms) to talk to you etc.

You're not allowed loose articles so have to store your stuff in a locker first. The first time we rode it I was really bummed about that because I wanted to take photos inside the castle! So the next day I snuck my small camera in (you won't get anything bigger then a little p&S) and took pics while we waited.

Okay, so is it kind of like Soarin'?

I'm sorry for all of the silly questions it's just that my family don't do rollercoasters and my DH hates anything that spins. Everyone would be so cross with me if I said, yeah you'll be fine, not scary or sickening at all and then if it turned out to be all of those things LOL.

And the lines are too long for my DD and I to line up, and then finish and encourage the others to do it.

You're not allowed loose articles so have to store your stuff in a locker first. The first time we rode it I was really bummed about that because I wanted to take photos inside the castle! So the next day I snuck my small camera in (you won't get anything bigger then a little p&S) and took pics while we waited.

Sorry to sound like a total airhead but what's a little P&S?

Also - my nephew wants to know, are there moving staircases?

No, not like Soarin. It's like you're on the end of a robotic arm and it swings you through the different scenes. I've tried to find a clip on youtube but it's all too dark to see anything.

If you go early in the morning the lines won't be that long. You could feasibly go through with DD and line up again with the others if you think they'll like it. We only lined up for about 15 minutes both mornings that we rode it. If you get there after 9am you'll queue for at least an hour though.

Sorry oz-kateer, p&s is point and shoot. I was thinking of Ms Shuttergirl's professional camera/s, she certainly wouldn't get that on. It would only be something you could fit in your pocket.

Oh and no moving staircases. That's the one thing we missed but I can see how it would have been a logistical nightmare! There is plenty of other magic though!

So my little Canon PowerShot will get on? It fits in my pocket. (About the size of a cigarette packet, not that I smoke....)

I'd just be disappointed to get in there and not et a single photo!

Thanks for the heads up Ehsmum. I had actually read that somewhere so was planning on bringing my little camera too.

The park doesn't open to the general public until 9am the day we are going. I was thinking about catching our cab from Pop at 8am. Do you think that will be enough time to get there before opening?

We are going to WWOHP as well. We've allowed two days for US. DD and I are big HP fans- DH not so much. We are really looking forward to it.

Loving all of this info, Thanks ehsmum for the update.

Would you say that it's a jerky ride, does it go really fast or is it nice and slow like soarin? It sounds so great. I am just not allowed on any rollercoasters with the torn artery in my neck so need to plan before joining lines what I can and can't go on.

So my little Canon PowerShot will get on? It fits in my pocket. (About the size of a cigarette packet, not that I smoke....)

I'd just be disappointed to get in there and not et a single photo!

If it fits in your pocket you should be fine.

Thanks for the heads up Ehsmum. I had actually read that somewhere so was planning on bringing my little camera too.

The park doesn't open to the general public until 9am the day we are going. I was thinking about catching our cab from Pop at 8am. Do you think that will be enough time to get there before opening?

Park opening was 9am when we were there too, but they actually opened the gates at 7.30am. Then hotel guests were taken to the right and walked directly up to WWOHP through Seuss Landing and The Lost Continent and everyone else went to the left and started lining up in Jurassic Park waiting for the 9am official opening. If you leave WDW at 8am I would guess you will get to Universal approx 8.20-8.30am (although I don't know what peak hour is like, could be heavier traffic at that hour of the morning :confused3 ) so you should be able to enter the park and get in line straight away. Bear in mind that it won't be their summer holidays anymore so the crowds should not be as big as when we were there, so an 8.30am arrival should be okay.

We are going to WWOHP as well. We've allowed two days for US. DD and I are big HP fans- DH not so much. We are really looking forward to it.

My DH is not a HP fan either and he loved it! He was talking to a colleague who is headed to Orlando but not planning to go to Universal and he's trying to convince him that it's not to be missed. He raves about how amazing it is and he doesn't know anything about HP!

Loving all of this info, Thanks ehsmum for the update.

Would you say that it's a jerky ride, does it go really fast or is it nice and slow like soarin? It sounds so great. I am just not allowed on any rollercoasters with the torn artery in my neck so need to plan before joining lines what I can and can't go on.

It's not as smooth as Soarin', it does jerk around a bit and I think you go upside down at one stage (all the rides are merging in my mind and I'm forgetting details!). Here's the description from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Forbidden_Journey

"Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey utilizes KUKA robocoaster technology, which allows the seats to pivot while being held above the track by a robotic arm. However, the ride is not a roller coaster but a scenic dark ride. The experience includes flying around Hogwarts castle, encountering the Whomping Willow and a horde of Dementors, and being caught in a Quidditch match. The ride performs such movements as dropping, spinning around, twisting and turning. Over-the-shoulder bars are used to secure guests in their seats."

which doesn't tell you much really, but it is a little more "robust" a ride then Soarin'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter