WL before Christmas

Steffi

<font color=magenta>McDonald's isn't my friend<br>
I thought WL would be all sold out, but we just got a courtyard view for 12/16th-21st. We've never stayed at WL & are excited to get to at Christmastime. Are there any good "secrets" about WL out there?? :)

The Christmas decorations are very nice at WL. Take time and sit in front of the giant fireplace and rock your time away. Take Ranger Stan's tour of WL. Walk to the Villas and see their decorations also. Have a wonderful time.

When you check-in go to the guest relations desk at the end of the front desk. Ask them if you can be a "Flag Family" during your stay. If there's an opening, you get to go to the roof top (fantastic view!) and raise the five flag on the poles in the morning. It's free and you get a nice certificate to boot!

You can also get a list of places to find Hidden Mickey's.

I agree with slimplaw--definitely sit by the fireplace and rock for awhile.

You will love WL!

Stepahnie-
Dh and I will be at WL from 12/15-12/18, we just booked too, and were suprised that it was open, especially with the code rates the new code gives! We got courtyard view too.

Hope you have an awesome trip!

Secrets about WL? Well two have been given: Flag Family and Hidden Mickey Hunt. Check out the lobby of VWL -- there's a hidden Mickey in the fireplace!

If you sit in the lobby at 5 pm, you can get a hearing loss from the "dinner's ready" call from Whispering Canyon Cafe.

The water that bubbles up in the lobby is not the same water that actually flows down the waterfall into the pool. The chlorine smell would be too much, so Disney recycles the water in a loop for the "spring" that appears in the lobby. A separate recycle system is used to create the spring/waterfall effect for the pool.

Don't miss WL's version of "Old Faithful" -- a geyser that erupts on schedule all day long -- near the pool. Just follow the wooden walkway and you'll spot the location and sign. It's not as big as the real thing, but it's still fun.

You can rent all sorts of recreational equipment down by the beach -- yes, WL has it's own beach! It's quiet, secluded and relaxing. A great way to spend a lazy afternoon.

Find out when Ranger Stan offers his WL tour. Do NOT miss this! Ranger Stan knows more about WL than the builders do -- seriously! He's full of fascinating facts and history -- you'll think the Lodge was there when the Magic Kingdom first opened!

You can take a leisurely walk to FW from WL. It's a short bus ride, but the walk is terrific. You're in the middle of Disney, but it's like you are miles and miles away.

Check out the otter pool!

Hey, this should keep you busy for awhile :)

Thanks for all the tips! I can't wait to get to try everything out; especially the tour. I've never even seen the resort, so it will all be fun & new.

TarraLee-I hope you have a great trip, too! I'll be on the lookout for lime-green ribbons. :)

Guess I'd better get some lime green ribbons as it looks like 3 of us will be there the same week. I am getting so excited I can hardly stand it. I, too, cannot believe the low rate I got for the holiday season. it has been my dream for years to stay there when the tree was up. We have stayed at WL twice before but never in December......save me a seat by that wonderful fireplace. I will be there with my hot cocoa........:D Oh what the heck.......:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Ii hope to see some of you guys there.

Oh, I forgot a few...

Watch the Electric Water Parade (schedule is posted near the lobby).

In fact, each day's schedule for parades and park open/close hours is posted near the lobby. It's a good idea to check it out each morning.

Roaring Forks (counter service) is kinda hidden. Head toward Artist Point (dinner only), turn right, walk down toward the pool, but before you go outside, turn left. Good stuff there!

No rockers at the fireplace? Sneak into the VWL lobby -- there's another circle of rockers and a fireplace there.

Check out the footprints in the walkways ... hmm, is there wildlife nearby???

Whispering Canyon is the only place at WDW that serves pine-cone shaped waffles. Try their breakfast skillet -- all you care to eat but under $12 per person. Very filling and they aren't chintzy with refills.

Want some goofy-type of fun? Plan a meal at Whispering Canyon and ask for a really "interactive" server. While dining try a few of these (not guaranteed to get a response, but when you do get a response, it's REALLY GOOD and very funny!!!)

1. Ask for ketchup (even if you don't need or want it)
2. Ask for a Pepsi
3. Ask where the bathrooms/restrooms are
4. Ask for directions to Universal Studios
5. Ask where you can buy GUM at WDW
6. Discuss the great time you had/will have at Universal Studios
7. Wear a hat/t-shirt from Universal
8. Ask if they plan another pony express race and if you can participate
9. Ask your server where their six-shooter is (don't ask for their G-U-N)

There's so much to do at WL -- I am so envious of you all. Trust me, you'll have a wonderful time. Just don't forget that there are 4 parks to see there, also :p

(In case you couldn't tell, WL is my favorite resort.)

WL is also my favorite WDW resort. On the fourth and fifth floors, above the main entrance to the lobby, there are sitting places. Two have fireplaces and soft chairs and couches. These overlook the lobby and is a nice relaxing place to sit. During the Christmas season this is a great view.

You should also consider buying refillable drink mugs at the Roaring Forks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter