Wondering what DCL is sending out a "Let's Dream Together" email means?

I assume this would also indicate that there would be onboard testing to determine if the threshold was breached at any point . How often would testing take place ??

I Wonder what "threshold" means in terms of Covid cases from this email.
If threshold = 20+ cases, that's normal, you'd expect a ship to return in that scenario.
If threshold = 1 case then we're done cruising for a long time. Because that would be ridiculous.

I would almost guarantee threshold won’t mean “1”....but it would definitely be nice to know what number it does mean!!!

I Wonder what "threshold" means in terms of Covid cases from this email.
If threshold = 20+ cases, that's normal, you'd expect a ship to return in that scenario.
If threshold = 1 case then we're done cruising for a long time. Because that would be ridiculous.
I too wonder if it could be a count of;
X - unrelated individuals or
X - number of groups with covid members.
When we travel there are 5 of us, that could bring the number up quickly.
But if 15 families stayed at the motel-6 where the check-in staff had Covid and 5 individuals now show Covid on day 3 that could be much worse then just a family of 5.

I would almost guarantee threshold won’t mean “1”....but it would definitely be nice to know what number it does mean!!!
Maybe that’s a soft number until they figure they have a couple test cruises go through.

There is no single threshold. It's a number based on a ship's capacity/size and 'preparedness', and we will only know about it after the ship has received its clearance certificate. I will be suprised if the number is less than 10 for large ships.

I got this email and didn't read past the "Let's Dream Together" line before deleting it.
Don't they realize we've BEEN dreaming about cruising for the past year? I was sooo looking forward to the March 2020 cruise we had planned that was cancelled, then the Feb 2021 cruise cancelled, then the May 2021 cruise cancelled. These were all booked pre-covid.
I refuse to let myself get excited over cruising until I hear announcements that some cruise lines are starting to sail again, or at least preparing to sail again. Why subject myself to more torture all over again?

I agree with @Intr3pid - they are just maintaining top-of-mind awareness. They want you placing deposits with them, not with other cruise lines that might resume sailings sooner.

I know we are all jonesing for official news on when sailings will resume, but not every scrap of information that comes out "means" anything more than exactly what's on its face.

Maybe this should be it's own thread, but how far in advance do you all book your cruises? 12-18 months in advance for us in most cases. So for us, getting that e-mail would be marketing a cruise in about August 2022, and the pandemic certainly (and hopefully) could be in a better place by then.

Maybe this should be it's own thread, but how far in advance do you all book your cruises? 12-18 months in advance for us in most cases. So for us, getting that e-mail would be marketing a cruise in about August 2022, and the pandemic certainly (and hopefully) could be in a better place by then.

I normally just book whenever because we usually do the Fantasy E. Carib milk run, and there really is not a whole lot of price volatility on those fares over time.

That said, I booked my next one in May ‘22 because
a.) we normally sail the last week of May anyway;​
b.) that was when my placeholder expired (though DCL may have pushed the expiry out even further since I booked);​
c.) I didn’t want to book any sooner because I don’t want to be white-knuckling over whether or not my cruise will be cancelled; and​
d.) I don’t want to cruise with any mask or social distancing mandates in place on the ship.​

I normally just book whenever because we usually do the Fantasy E. Carib milk run, and there really is not a whole lot of price volatility on those fares over time.

That said, I booked my next one in May ‘22 because
a.) we normally sail the last week of May anyway;​
b.) that was when my placeholder expired (though DCL may have pushed the expiry out even further since I booked);​
c.) I didn’t want to book any sooner because I don’t want to be white-knuckling over whether or not my cruise will be cancelled; and​
d.) I don’t want to cruise with any mask or social distancing mandates in place on the ship.​
I think you are good except for "d". Those requirements may be around for many years.

Usually a couple of months in advance so I’m obviously in no hurry to book anything.

I think you are good except for "d". Those requirements may be around for many years.

I agree that there may be some COVID-19 policies still in effect 15 months from now. But if there is a mask mandate in public areas, or socially-distanced markers on the floor all over the ship, I will simply cancel before my PIF.

That’s not to criticize the policies themselves. If DCL feels such measures are still necessary, then they should by all means keep them implemented. I personally just won’t enjoy the cruise enough with those mandates in place to justify the cost. And I suspect a lot of the general public would feel the same way.

Honestly, by May of ‘22, I expect DCL to require proof of vaccination (at least for adults) in order to sail. So, again, some things may still be different, but I doubt masks and social distance floor markers will still be on the table.

Last edited:
Honestly, by May of ‘22, I expect DCL to require proof of vaccination (at least for adults) in order to sail. So, again, some things may still be different, but I doubt masks and social distance floor markers will still be on the table.
You could be right. But I just look at the norovirus protocols now in place on ships without regard to which line that were not around during my cruises in the 1980's and 1990's. My last cruise was in October 2019 on Celebrity and you could not reenter the ship in port, or enter a dining room without passing a crew member with a huge container of hand sanitizer.

You could be right. But I just look at the norovirus protocols now in place on ships without regard to which line that were not around during my cruises in the 1980's and 1990's. My last cruise was in October 2019 on Celebrity and you could not reenter the ship in port, or enter a dining room without passing a crew member with a huge container of hand sanitizer.

True - but how many times have you seen people skip the sanitizer, or wave away the wipe, with the CM not saying "boo" about it?

I think (and I hope) that one of the lasting policies stemming from COVID-19 wlll be that blowing off the wipe/sanitizer is no longer an option.

Last edited:
Any time from opening week to a few weeks before sailing. Living in Florida makes it pretty easy to do last-minute trips, but once in a decade cruises such as the WBPC cruise we plan far in advance. Though I'm also always on the lookout for unexpected deals. I remember we booked our Mediterranean cruise 4 months out for only $3,000 for two adults.

Dr. Fauci today says he expects masks to be the norm into 2022 in the general population, so I suspect confined spaces like ships will require masks past that point. https://news.trust.org/item/20210221143523-j7r4j

Dr. Fauci today says he expects masks to be the norm into 2022 in the general population, so I suspect confined spaces like ships will require masks past that point. https://news.trust.org/item/20210221143523-j7r4j

To be fair, in the CNN interview, he said it's "possible" that mask-wearing could still be required in 2022, not that he "expects" it. In fact, he steadfastly refused to make a projection because it all depends on how many people get vaccinated and how low the infection rate becomes.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/21/politics/anthony-fauci-mask-wearing-2022-cnntv/index.html

But my underlying point remains - I will be surprised if mask-wearing will be required on a May, 2022 Disney Cruise. Either a.) we will have reached a level of herd immunity whereby masks are not required, or b.) DCL will require everyone (or, again, at least every adult) to be vaccinated prior to sailing, so that masks won't be required in this specific situation.

If I approach my PIF, and it looks like I am wrong in my prediction, I will cancel. Being required to wear a mask on my Caribbean cruise will be a deal-breaker for me and my family.

Last edited:
The United States has some of the most beautiful coastlines in the world. The emeral coast is amazing! As much as I love cruising, I will not subject myself to the risk of being put off in a foreign port with draconian COVID rules & restrictions that include manatory govt' run "Quarantine camps" (https://www.tampabay.com/news/healt...ne-lands-georgia-teen-in-cayman-islands-jail/) and post-cruise observance / mandatroy checks by government officials.

Cruise? No, thanks... I'm not scared of COVID, I'm scared of regulations and foreign governments.

I'll be traveling to and enjoying what my own country has to offer!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter