• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonka: The Best Movie Ever?

In Wonka I don't think Willy goes to Loompaland, Hugh Grant's character finds him?
Willy goes to Loompaland and takes their cocoa(?) nuts(?). Grant's character had been guarding the nuts, but had fallen asleep. Willy had never seen him. Grant's character is banished from Loompaland until he can reclaim what Willy took, a thousand times over. Grant's Loompa has been tracking Willie and taking the chocolate he makes to make up the "thousand times" what was stolen. I'm not quite sure why/how Grant agreed to stay with Willy and staff the factory.
If I remember the Gene Wilder version correctly (and might not) the back story was the Oompa Loompas were being mistreated or otherwise had bad lives. Coming to work for Wonka gave them a better life. I don't think that tracks with what was done in Wonka.

I’m really looking forward to seeing it once I can stream it at home.
I may like it, I may hate it - who knows :confused3
There’s a lot of movies others hated that I enjoy(ed) - Zoolander being a prime example. I love that stupid movie! LOL!
Same! And a lot of movies people really enjoy that I'm not wild about. I still need to see Zoolander!

Haven't seen but was just now reading a list of the our local paper's Top 20 worst movies for the year and that one made the list.
I'm so surprised about that, but it tracks since I usually like movies critics hate lol

I think it is a bad movie and I am actively discouraging people to go and see it in the theaters. If you want to see it, wait till it is on a streaming service.

The songs are not very good and can be scrapped without a problem, only one sort of moves the plot forward. It stops the action.

It doesn't really work as a prequel to the Gene Wilder movie, so no need to stick to those esthetics.

The entire movie could be more interesting if the kartel made sense. How much more interesting would it be if the kartel said to Wonka "You make amazing chocolate, let's work together and make even more money". And him then discovering there is more to chocolate than making money.

You would think it is about Wonka becoming a chocolatier, but he is already one from the start of the movie. That would make a more interesting prequel, I think.

Putting someone in a fatsuit to make jokes about being fat? Yeah... we shouldn't do that anymore.

Everything in the washing company, too much Oliver Twist / Annie (Jim Carter in very cringy scenes). The opening is very Sweeney Todd and the whole book switch... The Producers. So, no points for originality.

Totally get that Hugh Grant is not afraid to admit he only did it for the money, because it is a badly written part, only to move forward the plot. Deus ex machina and not very subtle. The best reason to take this part is for the money. Either give the oompa loompas a good backstory, or leave them out.

If you love the Gene Wilder movie and want to keep this image of Wonka: do not go see it. Timothy Chalemet does a good job with what he was given, but in my mind, he's not Wonka.
I think it's fair to say you hate this movie with a passion lol! I'm really glad I didn't see any reviews prior to watching it because that might have skewed my opinion somewhat or made me more likely not to see it. After seeing it and now hearing all the negativity, I still love it.

I actually really enjoyed the songs and thought they fit pretty well. I think maybe it helped that I did not go into the film needing to compare it to the original (because nothing can replace such an original masterpiece), but could see how good it stood on it's own.

It's on my list to see eventually. On Christmas, DH and DS saw Godzilla minut One, they said people clapped at the end of that.

DD and I saw the Boy and the Heron (latest Miyazaki movie). It was weird but enjoyable.

I saw it yesterday and liked it. Will watch it again when it goes to streaming.

I loved the young actress who played Noodle. I swear I've seen her or a look alike in something recently.

I looked and looked on the Internet last night, but no luck on finding where I've seen her or her look alike recently. It's driving me crazy!

I also enjoyed Hugh Grant as the Oompa Loompa. And of course the young Wonka.

DH's employer rented out our local theater as a holiday function for employees and families. We could see the new Trolls movie or Wonka, and since my DD had seen Trolls already with friends, we went with Wonka.

I have to say - we both say it was 2 hours or so we would never get back and was glad we personally didn't pay to see it. Did we walk out? No. Was it the worst movie we had seen? No. But it wasn't a fav for us.

I cannot believe how much hype Wonka has been getting ever since the trailer came out and when you see the trailer for yourself you can see how terrible Wonka is of a movie. I also cannot believe how it's hyped with a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float and an IHOP exclusive menu and all this hype means that they expected Wonka to do well. When I first saw the trailer I knew how terrible it was gonna look and parts of it seemed very scary. I bet Gene Wilder would be in shock today if he saw this if he was alive. But I think the worst animated film to top Wonka is that movie Migration because that movie also looks terrible in my eyes. But if you enjoy Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory go see the original version

I cannot believe how much hype Wonka has been getting ever since the trailer came out and when you see the trailer for yourself you can see how terrible Wonka is of a movie. I also cannot believe how it's hyped with a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade float and an IHOP exclusive menu and all this hype means that they expected Wonka to do well. When I first saw the trailer I knew how terrible it was gonna look and parts of it seemed very scary. I bet Gene Wilder would be in shock today if he saw this if he was alive. But I think the worst animated film to top Wonka is that movie Migration because that movie also looks terrible in my eyes. But if you enjoy Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory go see the original version
Have you seen Wonka yet?

There has been a lot of chatter online about the trailer. Many people feel it did a poor job of advertising the movie. It certainly left me with no desire to see the film based on the trailer alone.

I've seen the film and personally loved it. For those who haven't seen it, it's not a version or remake of the original, it's a prequel. I thought it was charming, enjoyed the performances and the songs. It even had my favourite gag of any movie this year (I won't spoil it here). There weren't any parts I'd say were in any way scary but maybe I missed something?

I don't think it's the best film I've ever seen but it's definitely one of the films I enjoyed most this year.

I see lots of TV ads for various new movies. Sometimes the trailer looks appealing, others times not. Was never that big of a Wonka fan so what sequence this movie is in the series doesn't mean much to me. "Best ever" seems like a real stretch for any newly released movie.

I’m really looking forward to seeing it once I can stream it at home.
I may like it, I may hate it - who knows :confused3
There’s a lot of movies others hated that I enjoy(ed) - Zoolander being a prime example. I love that stupid movie! LOL!

It is also a streamer for me. Kids voted for Migration (which was cute and which will annoy no one), and Aquaman (which we'll see next week), so this one is a definite "wait for streaming" submission.

Which is good b/c bad music in musicals is kinda unforgiveable. If it's bad, just drop the musical part and make a movie.

Any hype surrounding a movie before it's release is in the HOPE they want it to do well. If you EXPECT it, you don't need the hype.

There is not one scary moment in the movie. I'm guessing Gene Wilder would see the movie and say "ok". Why would he be in shock?

I haven't see it, but DD21 and her friend (25yo) were discussing it. Neither liked it at all.

I haven't seen Wonka yet but I probably will since I saw the other two films. But this is the third adaptation of the source material, which is risky enough if it weren't for the fact that the first adaptation is beloved my many fans, even if parts of it were trippy. I don't think it's fair necessarily to compare it to the other films as Wonka is a new vision of the story by a new director. It's like trying to compare the original John Wayne True Grit with the Coen Brothers reinterpretation, they are two different takes on the novel. Also calling something the Greatest Film of all Time, especially a modern film is a bold statement. I'm sure many, including me, would rank other films like Citizen Kane as more deserving of that title than Wonka, or at least one of the greatest of all time.

I haven't seen Wonka yet but I probably will since I saw the other two films. But this is the third adaptation of the source material, which is risky enough if it weren't for the fact that the first adaptation is beloved my many fans, even if parts of it were trippy. I don't think it's fair necessarily to compare it to the other films as Wonka is a new vision of the story by a new director. It's like trying to compare the original John Wayne True Grit with the Coen Brothers reinterpretation, they are two different takes on the novel. Also calling something the Greatest Film of all Time, especially a modern film is a bold statement. I'm sure many, including me, would rank other films like Citizen Kane as more deserving of that title than Wonka, or at least one of the greatest of all time.
Wonka is a prequel to the other films, NOT a different adaptation.

👏👏👏👏👏 All of this! Pretty solid if someone says worst movie ever or greatest movie ever they are the outliers that are making silly statements. Whoever said it was the best movie ever has narrow taste or perhaps they are Timothee fanatics.

I personally was not excited about this movie because (1) messing with the national treasure of Gene Wilder is high risk (2) am not a fan of Timothee, so far he hasn't proven to me he is a versatile or compelling actor (3) did we need another Willy Wonka living in our heads?

But DS was so excited about going and we are big movie goers. We went. I did not know in advance it was "a musical" style movie. I think perhaps it worked regardless of folks opinions of the music because it gave it a different take than the other two movies. I think Timothee did well, he grew on me, but still not sure of his "talent". I more enjoyed the rest of the cast. I loved that there were so many subliminal nods to the original movie and can't wait to watch again to just focus on those. I think they did well with the prequel story, I really was concerned how they were going to do it ~ wasn't really interested Depp's Wonka memories. I liked how it was shot, povs, costuming and lighting.

Best movie, no .... terrible movie, definitely not. We are AMC A-List and go to lots of movies. I would consider going to see this one again to watch for the details. For me it was better than WISH. Want to see a bad movie this season, go see Aquaman where every actor phoned it in. We go to movies 1-3 times a week depending on what is out there ~ this has been one I enjoyed (even though I expected to hate it) and DS stayed awake the whole movie (he takes 3rd quarter naps) and that says a lot.

Next up I have booked; Color Purple, Migration and Poor Things. Not excited about Migration but DS wants to go. I don't listen to critics and try to go to the ones we want AND make our own opinions.

Just in case, Color Purple is also a musical. Based on the Broadway musical from 2005.
Yes I knew it was. I am surprised so many movies are musicals lately. Didn't know it was a new thing.

Wonka is a prequel to the other films, NOT a different adaptation.
I hadn't realised that it's a prequel, but that doesn't change the fact that all three movies are using the same core source material, unless there is another Wonka book that I don't know about?
We are AMC A-List and go to lots of movies. I would consider going to see this one again to watch for the details. For me it was better than WISH. Want to see a bad movie this season, go see Aquaman where every actor phoned it in. We go to movies 1-3 times a week depending on what is out there ~ this has been one I enjoyed (even though I expected to hate it) and DS stayed awake the whole movie (he takes 3rd quarter naps) and that says a lot.

Next up I have booked; Color Purple, Migration and Poor Things. Not excited about Migration but DS wants to go. I don't listen to critics and try to go to the ones we want AND make our own opinions.
Man, I wish more of the general filmgoing public was like you, @HopperFan because you read and understand movies very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter