• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Work From Home

I’m a technical writer for a software company and wfh 4 days a week. When I started here 12 years ago, there was no remote work, but my company started allowing it 2 days a week about 6 years ago, and it’s just grown from there. I have a feeling that eventually we’ll be remote full time. I couldn’t imagine being in an office every day anymore.

As stated before this isn't always true. My current position wasn't advertised as WFH, but because of the type of work I do I was able to get it when I went through my terms when being interviewed. They had very few WFH people in the company when I started. There are a lot more, and my team is almost all remote workers.

That's correct, I got my current job and it was work from home from the start. I work in a Divisional office for a major healthcare corporation and I work 4 ten hour days and have off Friday/Friday/Monday/Monday. It gives me 2 three day weekends and 1 four day weekend every 4 weeks. They have been moving more and more people to WFH and 2 months ago they said nearly everyone in the office would be working from home within 6 months. The only pushback has been from Directors and Managers who love to micromanage their people. Unfortunately for them, the decision came from our local CEO's Bosses Boss and she basically said "Too bad, everyone will be working from home by 2/1/2020.

That's correct, I got my current job and it was work from home from the start. I work in a Divisional office for a major healthcare corporation and I work 4 ten hour days and have off Friday/Friday/Monday/Monday. It gives me 2 three day weekends and 1 four day weekend every 4 weeks. They have been moving more and more people to WFH and 2 months ago they said nearly everyone in the office would be working from home within 6 months. The only pushback has been from Directors and Managers who love to micromanage their people. Unfortunately for them, the decision came from our local CEO's Bosses Boss and she basically said "Too bad, everyone will be working from home by 2/1/2020.
It is definitely cheaper from a business owners perspective, no need to rent out buildings, pay utilities, janitor, receptionist etc. Especially if everyone uses their own computer/laptop too! Only downside I can think of is that you don't REALLY know if those people are doing their job as well as they could be. Whenever anyone in my office works from home, we all know they are doing minimal work hahaha

It is definitely cheaper from a business owners perspective, no need to rent out buildings, pay utilities, janitor, receptionist etc. Especially if everyone uses their own computer/laptop too! Only downside I can think of is that you don't REALLY know if those people are doing their job as well as they could be. Whenever anyone in my office works from home, we all know they are doing minimal work hahaha

I agree when it's one or two days here and there from home - when I used to work one day from home, I would do everything in my power to get as much as possible wrapped up by Tuesday night, and not schedule any meetings on Wednesdays so that I could have a light day of just checking emails and addressing anything that came up.

Once I transitioned to full-time working from home, I still had to get my full-time job done. Like I said above, yesterday for example, I was online working from 6:12am to about 7:30pm, with a few 5-10 minute breaks here and there to use to bathroom, check in on Disboards lol, and throw a Costco tray of alfredo pasta into the oven. When you work full time from home, there isn't time for you to be goofing off - the work still needs to be done and you are still accountable for it. I routinely work over 50 hours a week - legit working - and during our busy season, up to 70. All from home except for Wednesdays when I meet my team in an office. My whole team agrees that we work smarter and harder at home because we know that if we get done early, we can address the dishes, laundry, etc instead of wasting time sitting at a desk in an office until 5pm, but in reality, we all pretty much have too much work to do to get "off" much before 5 anyway.

Last edited:

I agree when it's one or two days here and there from home - when I used to work one day from home, I would do everything in my power to get as much as possible wrapped up by Tuesday night, and not schedule any meetings on Wednesdays so that I could have a light day of just checking emails and addressing anything that came up.

Once I transitioned to full-time working from home, I still had to get my full-time job done. Like I said above, yesterday for example, I was online working from 6:12am to about 7:30pm, with a few 5-10 minute breaks here and there to use to bathroom, check in on Disboards lol, and throw a Costco tray of alfredo pasta into the oven. When you work full time from home, there isn't time for you to be goofing off - the work still needs to be done and you are still accountable for it. I routinely work over 50 hours a week - legit working - and during our busy season, up to 70. All from home except for Wednesdays when I meet my team in an office. My whole team agrees that we work smarter and harder at home because we know that if we get done early, we can address the dishes, laundry, etc instead of wasting time sitting at a desk in an office until 5pm, but in reality, we all pretty much have too much work to do to get "off" much before 5 anyway.
Agreed if its full time working from home. And you also save so much time by not commuting, not picking out nice work clothes, not putting on makeup (for me at least). So jealous!

There is a ton of work from home companies that hire people solely to work from home. As someone mentioned earlier there are many well-known resources for remote jobs. RatRaceRebellion is probably the most popular. But there are also WahQueen, Delilah Bell of RemoteWorkLife, DreamHomeBasedWork, WorkersOnBoad, MeleciaAtHome to name a few. Most of them have YouTube channels they regularly update as well as their websites and facebook groups.

Some companies that fire people to work from home: Google, Amazon, NexRep, Apple, Enterprise, Alorica, Convergys, Hilton, American Express, Uhaul, and many others!

I currently work from home in Customer Service but am learning web development so that I can become a developer and work a more flexible schedule. I would like to work evenings or even overnight!

I came across this article by Forbes.com which lists of 100 companies that use WFH, when I read a feppow poster saying she teaches English online to kids. Forbes Magazine is as legit as they come. So, I assume Forbes did their homework and vetted the companies on their list.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexan...p-100-companies-for-remote-jobs/#2154a5321544

The company that teaches kids English is VIPKid. That company also showed up on these lists. PP posted some of them already, so I'm just cross-referencing them as the web companies who created these web pages seem to be recommended by major legit sources like PCWorld, Forbes, BBB, etc.:

https://www.flexjobs.com/jobs/telecommuting-jobs-at-amazon?page=1

https://remote.co/

I work from home as a high school virtual English teacher. I work for the world's largest virtual school and make good money for a teacher. It is a great job!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter