Working Down My Disney Bucket List!

Formal night: If you see a tux, it’s one of very few. I have seen some lovely matching mother/ daughter princesses.

It is definitely optional. It allows you to go all out if that’s what you like (and not look totally out of place).

But a lot of of guests wear “Sunday clothes” - as we would have said when I was young. And some will be in shorts. This is not Cunard; they will let you be seen in public in normal clothes on Formal Night.

By the way, as exciting as this is (I love the idea of anyone’s Disney cruise - okay Amy cruise), but I also love Hawaii.
I'm a bit more excited about Aulani since I know my husband is also excited for Hawaii. He's a runner and hates treadmills (runs upwards of 11 miles daily) so he's not looking forward to being 'trapped' with nowhere to run (literally) on the ship.

I'm a bit more excited about Aulani since I know my husband is also excited for Hawaii. He's a runner and hates treadmills (runs upwards of 11 miles daily) so he's not looking forward to being 'trapped' with nowhere to run (literally) on the ship.
And they didn’t design the new ships with a complete, one-level outdoor Promenade.

But the neighborhood around Aulani should be good. It’s a gated development, but finding 11 miles with easy running conditions (ie, not in traffic) may be a challenge anywhere on Oahu.

Royal Gathering is the opportunity to meet and take photographs with 4-5 princesses. It is a limited capacity guest experience. Free. But requires a ticket. It has been an activity bookable at the 30-day pre-cruise mark. Has that date changed? Need to find out before your day for making excursion reservations.

FYI. Booking window for port excursions and dining.

Your advance booking window is determined by your Castaway Club membership level, as follows:

First-Time Guests75 days prior to sail date
Silver Castaway Club Member90 days prior to sail date
Gold Castaway Club Member105 days prior to sail date
Platinum Castaway Club Member120 days prior to sail date
Pearl Castaway Club Member123 days prior to sail date
Concierge Guests130 days prior to sail date*

If you want to book something and it’s not available, don’t immediately give up.

Charges $ for events are not collected at booking; they happen onboard. Some guests will make a reservation when available for their Castaway Level (DCL’s loyalty program) and wait til the 3-day pre-cruise cutoff to drop.

Even adult dining, unavailable pre-cruise, might be possible to book onboard. They say they don’t put all available tables online for booking.

This is just random advice:

Don’t wait to get passports. The kids will get 5 year ones, but keep an eye on the State Department website to determine current processing time.

Passport requirement for BVI, per US of State:

“Those traveling to the British Virgin Islands on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document.” Personal decision. But if something goes wrong, Just like American Express, don’t leave home without one. Same for travel insurance.

Encourage the parents of the little ones to get swim lessons for them. Life jackets are available on the pool deck. Maybe at Castaway Cay, too.

No swim diapers in the pools.

One thing I like to do, as do many others: door magnets and Fish Extenders.

The Fish is the metal piece beside the door (sort of a mail holder). Your cabin keys (in a closed envelope) will be stuck behind it when you are allowed to access your cabin (around 2 pm Boarding Day).

Disney guests hang a (usually personalized) set of pockets for use in exchanging little gifts with fellow cruise guests. This is an additional story.

IMG_7504.jpeg

IMG_7505.jpeg

More recently, I went to just a decorative Fish Extender. No pockets/ no gifts. I used card stock and magnets from Hobby Lobby to convey the theme of our S Caribbean cruise.

IMG_7501.jpeg

And wooden shapes with magnetic tape attached to their backs. Rearrange as wanted.

IMG_7502.jpeg

I find it is useful in differentiating our cabin door from all the other white doors in a long row. And it makes me smile, both my own, and others.

Totally not necessary, but you will see them on your cruise.

More optional things:

Photos. And matching shirts. People do wear them. Many are personalized. This is the Embarkation Photo Op. Now we just walk by.

IMG_0864.jpeg

Well, another less than 3 years later. Disney - or - DIY.

IMG_0175.jpeg
IMG_2632.jpeg
IMG_2633.jpeg

If you buy the photo package, it covers one cabin. But it will include photos with other guests if your cabin # is presented as the guest in the photo.

Check out the Details on how many photos are included at what price (there’s a digital plan, perhaps).

You can have photos made even if not on a plan. Choose to purchase or not before disembarkation.

Last I cruised, CMs would take photos with your camera. And hugs were back.

Like cruising with children, photos are not something I do. Plenty of up to date info will come from others.

A Disney cruise and Aulani. Oh, boy!

IMG_2247.jpeg

Across the road is Island Country Market, an ABC store. (ABC is a souvenir + convenience store all over Oahu). This version is almost a mini-mart with food.)

Can someone rate my room choices? We have Deluxe Verandah rooms 6532 and 6534. We were looking for it to be nearish to elevators and quiet and hopefully not make everyone seasick (I’m literally the only one in our group who has ever been on a cruise and my experience is with a small ship in Alaska). They are internally connected and it seems like we should be able to “expand” the verandahs between the two rooms. If somehow these are a terrible choice please let me know!

Can someone rate my room choices? We have Deluxe Verandah rooms 6532 and 6534. We were looking for it to be nearish to elevators and quiet and hopefully not make everyone seasick (I’m literally the only one in our group who has ever been on a cruise and my experience is with a small ship in Alaska). They are internally connected and it seems like we should be able to “expand” the verandahs between the two rooms. If somehow these are a terrible choice please let me know!

I prefer something higher and closer to midship, but that's just me. For me those rooms are too far forward, but it's a personal preference.

I prefer something higher and closer to midship, but that's just me. For me those rooms are too far forward, but it's a personal preference.
Midship didn't have any connecting room availability (only one room to choose total for verandah). None of the higher decks had forward connecting rooms available either. So all our choices are on deck 6.

Main dining worked better for us, and honestly there were days my 3 year old was melting down even at the early seating, because she was soooooooo tired.

My 7 year old lived in the kids club.

Main dining worked better for us, and honestly there were days my 3 year old was melting down even at the early seating, because she was soooooooo tired.

My 7 year old lived in the kids club.
Can you tell me if the airport to the cruise port service that Disney will add on includes car seats?

I’m super excited to be making some great progress on my Disney Bucket List this year and next.
In February we did a VIP tour at Disney World to celebrate my 40th birthday!
In April we did an Adventures by Disney Southern California trip and I got to visit my dream job at Imagineering!
In August we’ll be heading to Aulani for my family’s first ever trip to Hawaii together!
And next April during my daughter’s spring break we’ll be headed on our first ever Disney Cruise sailing on the Treasure! My best friend’s whole family will also be joining us so I’m super stoked!
All that’s left on my checklist is to visit go back to Disneyland Paris to visit their version of Hollywood Studios which wasn’t open when I went when I was in high school and Shanghai and Hong Kong Disneylands (but unfortunately my husband and I shouldn’t travel to China for work reasons) so that might be checked off in like 20-25 years when we can retire!

Does anyone have any pro tips for a complete newb cruiser? We’re in a group of 7 and already requested to be moved from the 815 to 515 dinner seating.
The best advice is to just remind yourself that you are not in a Disney park. Just chill and enjoy the cruise!

It's a bus, so no car seats. My 3 year old slept on the way from the resort to the port.
Gotcha, so like the Magical Express? My friend’s daughter who will be nearing 4 when we go will need a booster with a back, but if we’re going on a bus only it might not be necessary for her to bring it. Do Port Excursions require car seats? I just feel like a big booster will take up precious storage space in her room for 4.

Ideally, you would be up to Deck 7, putting cabins below you, instead of the fitness Center. It’s hours are about 8am - 10 pm, so shouldn’t mess with nighttime sleep; you aren’t below it, so no sound of dumbbell dropping, and it’s not a place with loud bass music.

At this point, you might be happy you have an assigned room. ThecMarch dates have gone to GTY status, so cabin numbers might nit be confirmed for a long time. And connecting might be undoable.

You should be fine.

Gotcha, so like the Magical Express? My friend’s daughter who will be nearing 4 when we go will need a booster with a back, but if we’re going on a bus only it might not be necessary for her to bring it. Do Port Excursions require car seats? I just feel like a big booster will take up precious storage space in her room for 4.
Yes. It will be a big bus. Car seats are at the discretion of the parents and not provided. Sort of like flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter