World of Disney Store

Huh...

Does a store need to be themed?

Sorry you were disappointed, OP.

I'm trying really hard to understand being upset about the way a store looks at an outdoor mall outside of the parks, but I just can't get there.

I know people generally don't like change or might think it's ugly, but being upset? Really? A store?

I don't get it. To be fair, I had no strong feelings about the old one either...

Looks like a basic store at any mall with that design. Disney keeps taking out the characters that made us love the parks to begin with.

New DVC rooms also look nice but lose the small themes that make people love Disney.

It’s as if Disney management seems to forget there is a reason we fell inlove with timeless classics to begin with.

I prefer the old look

I don't like DS/Downtown Disney or whatever it is called these days. Traffic and parking are a pain and I don't see the draw? Kinda like the "World Showcase" at Epcot, it is all made in China anyway, and they just took away more of the Disney look to it. At least at DS, I am not paying to shop/eat (like Epcot) but honestly, we go there once a trip. Usually go right when they open, do our shopping for what ever souvenirs we want and leave. If I have a valid park ticket in my pocket, I want to be there. If I want to go shopping, I'll do that back at home.

I never paid much attention to the architecture and decor of the old store as my focus was on the merchandise. So long as I can find what I want to buy I am OK. I don’t think DS needs to follow the same heavy theming as the parks and resorts.

I loved going to Downtown Disney with all of the Disney themes and the World of Disney just being packed with characters and novelty goods. It was like I was being swallowed up by everything Disney. We went right before the new renovation started and I had not been since Disney Springs was renovated. While I did enjoy the new restaurant options, the lack of Disney feeling there was severely disappointing. I walked into World of Disney just to remind myself I was in WDW.

Disappointing to see such a cherished childhood memory be painted over by something so generic...

https://www.wdwmagic.com/shopping/w...k-world-of-disney-opens-at-disney-springs.htm

From above:

"In this first phase, the redesigned half of the store is now open, and the remaining half is now closed for work.

The new look is much more open than before, with the entire store now visible from end-to-end. There is also new-look much more in-keeping with the Disney Springs feel - exposed brick and a more industrial look. Design inspiration is said to be an animator's loft.

Although the store has reopened, it is not yet complete, and there is much more to come, including special effects and additional fixtures. These are expected to be in place for when the entire remodel is complete in late 2019, and are currently hidden behind scrims."

I think this is just the "bones" of the redesign. We have to wait another year for completion.

My biggest complaint with the old store was how packed in the aisles were...it made it hard to move around with the large number of people shopping at any given time. Also made it tough to keep track of kids or even find family members if you wandered off in different directions.

Good change in my opinion, though I am sure it comes with a reduction in merchandise selection.

I just think there are more important things to care about than whether a gift shop is "magical" or not.
This is not a forum about the serious issues of the world. We are basically discussing first world problems.

Like many others, I am disappointed by the redesign of this Disney-themed store that used to look amazing and was a back drop for some wonderful memories. I can still picture it in my mind’s eye. I want to remember it the way it was, so I will not be visiting in person.

I am sorry if you are unable to understand that.

From the pictures I've seen so far, I love how open it looks. The old store was very congested and at peak times it could be nearly impossible to move around. And forget trying to find other members of your party with 9 different rooms. So I like that they've gone to a much more open floor plan.

As for the design, I agree with what some others have said. I don't dislike the design of the store in general. It just lacks the Disney theming that the old store had. It sounds like they will add some special touches but it won't be nearly as over the top as the old place was.

This is not a forum about the serious issues of the world. We are basically discussing first world problems.

I don't even think this qualifies as a "problem," but you're obviously entitled to feel however you want about stuff. That's the beauty of opinions.

Did they remove the giant characters from each of the entrances?? That was the only way we could meet up with each other after shopping LOL "Meet you guys outside by Stitch" type of thing.

My biggest complaint with the old store was how packed in the aisles were...it made it hard to move around with the large number of people shopping at any given time. Also made it tough to keep track of kids or even find family members if you wandered off in different directions.

We were shopping one evening a couple of years ago and it was packed. I was trapped with a stroller in front of me and shelves on either side.....no where to move. All of the sudden, I felt something on the back of my heel and turned to see a lady on a scooter purposefully bumping into me. I stared in disbelief when she said, "Beep! Beep!" Believe me, lady, I would move if I could!

As for the newly opened store, I don't think this is the final product. My son was watching a vlog from a couple touring the store. (Sadly, cannot remember the name.) They were initially disappointed but then had a change of tune after talking with cast members who pointed out some of the new details. The cash registers are sitting on drawing boards of Disney animators and they contain original artwork from some classic Disney flicks.

They were initially disappointed but then had a change of tune after talking with cast members who pointed out some of the new details. The cash registers are sitting on drawing boards of Disney animators and they contain original artwork from some classic Disney flicks.
It sounds like they've gone to a classier level of theming and less kitschy and over the top.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter