World of Motion and Horizons?

ddawg

Mouseketeer
Anybody else miss these rides? I was just reading a post about COP and it brought back fond memories of these other rides.

Not really... I thought they were a snooze. Test Track is much more exciting, and I can't wait for the opening of Mission Space!

I don't remember World of Motion, but I got to ride Horizons a few months before they took it out. Granted it needed updating, but I still miss it. I loved the idea of "choosing your own ending" at the conclusion of the ride.

I look forward to Mission Space, but I also miss Horizons...oh well.

I miss them. Those two were my favorite rides. Honestly, I would prefer World of Motion to Test Track - Test Track just didn't live up to everything I heard about it, but thats just my opinion.

Minnie824, I agree !!

I really miss Horizons. I enjoy Test Track, too, but I'd have loved to have them both!!

does anyone have links to websites with info or tours of both? I never got to experience either of these and would like to know what i missed.

- lori

I miss Horizons. It was my favorite attraction when I went with friends in college. I was pretty bummed that I couldn't share it with Holly when we went for her first trip to WDW. I had talked about it a lot.

Mission: Space will probably be much more up to date, I am looking forward to it.

Test Track, on the other hand is something I rode once. I just don't see the excitement in it.

Ted

I miss them!! It's been a while since I've been to WDW (or read any guidebooks, boards, etc), and when I started planing my upcoming trip, I was very sad to find them gone. Yes, World of Motion was gone when I went in 98, but Test Track wasn't open yet, so it felt to me like we just skipped the ride, not that it was gone! Since I haven't ridden Test Track, I'm not passing judgement on whether it is a worthy replacement just yet.

Hadn't World of Motion been at the New York World's Fair? I always thought I remembered it from that, so I liked it at WDW for the nostalgic memories it brought. Also, seeing the cars riding up the ramp outside the "pavillion" is/was a typical Epcot picture. So I miss it. And as far as it being too tame-DS, who loved SM and BTMRR, got sick after riding World of Motion and then Horizons. We still tease him about it.

No, World of Motion wasn't at the New York Worlds Fair. You are thinking of Carousel of Progress or It's a Small World. Both were introduced at the fair.

I do miss World of Motion. I always enjoyed the comical ride threw the history of "wheels" If you were a little tipsy it would be hard to tell Spaceship Earth from WoM. It was fun, none the less.

I don't think the Test Track can be compared to WoM. It is completely different. Each has it's own winning points. It would have been nice if they could have kept WoM and just added Test track to it.

Horizons was a charming little dark ride with many memorable moments like the smell of Oranges. But I never did get what was happening with the ending. It all just seemed like fuzzy still pictures. Just didn't get it.
:confused:

For those who don't get a thrill on Test Track, ride it when the outside temp is cooler!!!

I rode it for the first time last January, after dark, and it was AWESOME! The cold air as you burst through those doors was awesome!

I then rode it in September after dark, and it just wasn't the same when you went outside into the hot, humid temps. It felt really lacklustre.

We did it again a couple of weeks ago, and the thrill was back! :)

I can't get anything out of Test Track. I drive much further and faster than that on any given day. :)

Ted

I loved both Horizons and WOM. They each had upbeat positive messages and were very elaborate. Yes, Horizons was a bit dated when it closed, but I still really enjoyed it. It was classic Disney.

Test Track is ok, IMHO, but it breaks down a lot and there really aren't any interesting sights in the building while you are riding. Obviously, we have to wait and see about Space.

I am worried about the revamped Spaceship Earth rumors.

I miss both of them very much. I'm only glad I had the chance to ride them multiple times on past visits to WDW.
Remember that smell of Oranges in Horizons??

Uncleromulus....the smell of those oranges was one of the things I loved most about that attraction..both Horizon's and World of Motion are sorely missed...I do enjoy Test Track, but can't really these very different things... I just wish we could keep the old while we innovate! Walt surely gave us enough space in florida to do that!

I miss both Horizons and World of Motion. They were both neat because they had so many animatronics which Disney doesn't seem to be using as much of in their newer rides. I like Test Track and look forward to Mission Space, but it would be nice if they could keep the old and build the new.

Thanks BadgerBruce for refrencing the link to my webpage on Lost Epcot rides, here is the link so you can click on it..

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/aat

There are lots of Horizons and World of Motion pics on it. I wish I had video taped them both all I have is a little bit of Horizons right before it closed.

Horizons: wife and I have debated this one in the past...she misses it...I don't.

World of Motion: we both agree that Test Track was a much needed upgrade

Rides from the past we do miss:
1) 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea: my blood boils everytime I walk past the lagoon. Wonderful memories as a child of taking a "real" submarine ride! I so much wanted to share that experience with my kids. Why couldn't Disney have updated it instead of killing it???

2) Mr Toad's Wild Ride: I like the Pooh ride...it is really a nice addition. I lament that it had to be at the expense of MTWR...

3) Skyway: Disney should use that famous innovation to make the thing safer instead of just doing away with it. Unparalleled view of MK lost forever?

4) The "original" Enchanted Tiki Room show: Iago and Zazu weren't an improvement (IMHO)

5) If You Had Wings/Dreamflight: no question that Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin is a big upgrade in that space but we still miss the old show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter