Worried I'll be disappointed with a Moderate after staying at a Deluxe

MsKrueger

Earning My Ears
Two years ago, in March 2018, I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for four nights. It was my first trip to DW, as well as my mom's. It was amazing and we loved it, and I really want to go back March 2021. Unfortunately, I was looking at the price increases and I just can't justify staying at the WL again. Since we agreed we wanted to stay an extra night, the price increases bump the trip up by almost $1,000 dollars (we also do the dining plan). This just won't be possible.

I was looking at the moderates, and while prices for next year aren't out yet staying at POR should still be close to what we paid in 2018. However...I'm worried about staying at a moderate, as snobbish as that may sound. The reviews are good, but I'm tense about how big the resort is and the bus transportation in particular since my mom has several health problems that can make walking long distances difficult. What do you guys think? Will I like POR? Will I be disappointed after staying at WL? Am I way overthinking this, considering we only spend one day at the resort and the big attraction is the parks anyway?

We love POR! unfortunately, the child size pull down bed no longer works for any of my three kids, so deluxe it is (I just can't do the values). My family would have continued to go to POR forever if there was a comfortable place for all 5 to sleep. You will love it.

If new to online forums, best to not use your real name as your screen name.

Most Disney resorts are pricey compared to other nearby/offsite places. It mostly depends on your budget and what your preferences are. Disney parks involve a LOT of walking regardless of where you are staying.

If new to online forums, best to not use your real name as your screen name.

Most Disney resorts are pricey compared to other nearby/offsite places. It mostly depends on your budget and what your preferences are. Disney parks involve a LOT of walking regardless of where you are staying.
If you mean MsKrueger, that's actually a Nightmare on Elm Street reference haha.

Two years ago, in March 2018, I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge for four nights. It was my first trip to DW, as well as my mom's. It was amazing and we loved it, and I really want to go back March 2021. Unfortunately, I was looking at the price increases and I just can't justify staying at the WL again. Since we agreed we wanted to stay an extra night, the price increases bump the trip up by almost $1,000 dollars (we also do the dining plan). This just won't be possible.

I was looking at the moderates, and while prices for next year aren't out yet staying at POR should still be close to what we paid in 2018. However...I'm worried about staying at a moderate, as snobbish as that may sound. The reviews are good, but I'm tense about how big the resort is and the bus transportation in particular since my mom has several health problems that can make walking long distances difficult. What do you guys think? Will I like POR? Will I be disappointed after staying at WL? Am I way overthinking this, considering we only spend one day at the resort and the big attraction is the parks anyway?
You might want to try POFQ since it is a more compact resort than POR and there is only one bus stop. You still have a boat to Disney Springs. Unless POFQ isn't included in the discounts you are looking at.

We actually LOVE POR! I think we like it more than Wilderness Lodge. It's nice to have a big food court option. The quick services at Delux resorts are lacking options. The grounds of POR are also really beautiful. Plus the boat to Disney Springs in nice and relaxing. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Have you priced out your expected meals and that's why you've decided to have the dining plan? I'm asking because the dining plan is not always a good deal. It depends on what and where and how often you plan to eat. If you're doing several character meals and/or buffets or signature dining or always have an alcoholic beverage with your meal, then perhaps the dining plan would work out.

But, for me, it's never even come close. My sister and I together rarely spend as much as the cost of the standard dining plan for one person, and we have a TS meal nearly every day.

Just sayin'. Check out the menus, prices, and compare with your eating preferences before diving in.

Have you priced out your expected meals and that's why you've decided to have the dining plan? I'm asking because the dining plan is not always a good deal. It depends on what and where and how often you plan to eat. If you're doing several character meals and/or buffets or signature dining or always have an alcoholic beverage with your meal, then perhaps the dining plan would work out.

But, for me, it's never even come close. My sister and I together rarely spend as much as the cost of the standard dining plan for one person, and we have a TS meal nearly every day.

Just sayin'. Check out the menus, prices, and compare with your eating preferences before diving in.
We break even on the dining plan, and aside from cost there are several other reasons why we prefer to use it. Not having the dining plan would not enable me to stay at the WL anyway. We would still have to pay for food, and the difference in rates between the two rooms would still be there.

I would definitely vote for POFQ over riverside. I haven't stayed at riverside, but have stayed at Coronado which has the same sprawling footprint as riverside and said never again. Unless you win the room lottery or pay for preffered and get a room close to the main lobby getting to the food court is difficult. I also dislike the extra time spent on the internal bus stops. POFQ is much more compact with nice theming. Especially if you like some of the dining options at DS you won't be dissappointed.

Port Orleans was our first Disney hotel years ago but we now stay at deluxes. I think the biggest difference/drawback to Port Orleans is the transportation. I don't like Disney buses and that's your only option at Port Orleans, while I can walk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios from the Epcot resorts, where we usually stay now. Second biggest would be that I'm not a huge fan of the Port Orleans food court and there are no signature restaurants onsite. Aside from that, I like Port Orleans the resort as much at the Polynesian or Yacht Club, which are the two deluxe resorts we've stayed at.

We love both the Wilderness Lodge and POR. We think that POR is a good substitute when we want to save a little money. :)

Last edited:
Prior to our trip last week, we have alway stay at a deluxe and the Swan, we're not pool people. We opted to stay at Riverside. We had a room which wasn't too far from the lobby so that was good. The rooms were no better or worse than a Deluxe. Mousekeeping was good, a couple of days they forgot to replenish the cups for coffee but not a big issue. The biggest difference for us was the distance from a park. We used the money saved to use Lyft almost everywhere and still saved a bunch. If you are ok with the distance to a park I don't think there are much room differences.

Port Orleans was our first Disney hotel years ago but we now stay at deluxes. I think the biggest difference/drawback to Port Orleans is the transportation. I don't like Disney buses and that's your only option at Port Orleans, while I can walk to Epcot or Hollywood Studios from the Epcot resorts, where we usually stay now. Second biggest would be that I'm not a huge fan of the Port Orleans food court and there are no signature restaurants onsite. Aside from that, I like Port Orleans the resort as much at the Polynesian or Yacht Club, which are the two deluxe resorts we've stayed at.
Well to be honest walking to a park wouldn't be an option anyway. As mentioned, my mom has some health issues. We're able to get around the parks all right as long as we take breaks, but I would like to keep unnecessary walking to a minimum. Even if we could walk to a park, we would take a bus anyway. So if that's the only major difference then that's not too bad.

Well to be honest walking to a park wouldn't be an option anyway. As mentioned, my mom has some health issues. We're able to get around the parks all right as long as we take breaks, but I would like to keep unnecessary walking to a minimum. Even if we could walk to a park, we would take a bus anyway. So if that's the only major difference then that's not too bad.
Yeah, that’s what stands out to me. Port Orleans is pretty spread out but Polynesian and Yacht Club weren’t exactly compact. Port Orleans is also a bit more hilly if I recall correctly. I’d see about getting a room close to the lobby/dining area. I think those might be “preferred” rooms so of course are more expensive.

I was looking at the moderates, and while prices for next year aren't out yet staying at POR should still be close to what we paid in 2018. However...I'm worried about staying at a moderate, as snobbish as that may sound.

I seem to have graduated to a 3-4 trip per year habit and there's usually at least a short trip at a dlx resort... and I like them alot... I get why they cost more... Even so, my favorite resort is POR. In almost all cases, I prefer it to a dlx. Not just because it's a better value (subjective of course), or cheaper, but because it has a great character and strong theming throughout the resort without coming off too goofy. It takes itself just serious enough.

The grounds are also beautiful, and the staff has been great.

We like POR. I would book a preferred room so you won’t have to walk a long way. We have stayed at deluxe also and there is no way we will pay what they are wanting even with the discount! We are going to stay at CBR instead. We have stayed at POR twice and really liked it. We did book a preferred room so we would be close to the main building with the food court.

We like POR. I would book a preferred room so you won’t have to walk a long way. We have stayed at deluxe also and there is no way we will pay what they are wanting even with the discount! We are going to stay at CBR instead. We have stayed at POR twice and really liked it. We did book a preferred room so we would be close to the main building with the food court.
Are the royal rooms the same as the preferred in terms of distance? When I checked pricing I used the royal rooms; I figured worst case scenario was the standard rooms would be that price by March 2021, and best case scenario was they hadn't increased by much and I had budgeted enough to get a room closer to the main action.

Since your mom has walking issues, I would suggest POFQ since all rooms are close to everything, or if you are interested in the other Mods, then get a preferred room at either CBR (skyliner), POR or CSR.
We are not the part of the "once you stay deluxe you cannot go back" club, we've had great stays at all 3 levels.

We mainly stay deluxe but I've also stayed at POR (and CBR) and I absolutely loved POR. The only thing I missed was the interior hallways, otherwise it is a really lovely resort. You may also want to consider the CSR tower rooms which are getting rave reviews. CBR also has Skyliner access which we used on our last trip and absolutely loved. I really don't think you can go wrong with a mod!

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge in 2014 and our next trip was POR in 2018. Our 2014 trip was 4 nights, and staying in a moderate we were able to extend it to 8 nights. We definitely appreciated the extra time, and we really liked POR. Admittedly we didn't have the best experience at Wilderness Lodge - I didn't like our room location, and the entire resort was under a lot of construction at the time and the main pool was closed.

One thing that I think did make a difference was we paid for a preferred room at POR. It was much easier being close to the main building, food court, and pool. We actually had better luck with the buses there than at WL.

We're staying one night before a cruise at Caribbean Beach since it had the best rate (and we're not going to the parks, and I'm excited to stay somewhere we haven't before), but if we do an onsite stay in a moderate again I think we'll stay at POFQ. We visited there when staying at POR and liked it - especially the size!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter