Worst advice you got

our first trip we followed the advice to hop to HS late evening because the line for Jedi Training and Toy Story Mania would be short! Um no, Jedi Training only went during the early day, and Toy Story mania had almost a 2 hour wait! BWAHAHAHAHA we wised up real fast after that!

Late night tip:
What they do at TSMM is close off all of the inside line area including the area by the Potato Head. The short line then spills out into the courtyard and they put up a 70 minute wait time. Most guest see this, shake their heads and leave.
If you're brave enough to get in line (or know this secret) you'll find that the line goes straight to the area where you pick up the glasses then up the stairs. 15 minute wait on average.

We sat on the bus with one other family going back to AoA for an afternoon break. The dad was kind of grumpy and mentioned not doing the dining plan if they return because he was tired of eating at the resort every day.
Apparently their TA told them their free QS dining plan was only good at their resort! We quickly set them straight, but I wish we would have met them earlier. It was day 4 of a 7 day trip. :(

That's awful. That TS should be fired. They should know what they're selling.

I wonder if it was just miscommunication. The TA may have said it could be used at the restaurants in the resort meaning the whole of WDW Resort, but for those of us not used to the broader meaning of the term 'resort' at WDW it could easily be assumed they meant the specific resort you are staying at. Either way it should have been made extremely clear by the TA

One thing I kept hearing was the afternoon break. My instinct was that it wouldn't work so I took a chance. And I'm glad. My kids did much better staying on the same kind of routine as at home. We did rope drop and stayed through until dinner time. Then we were back at the hotel for dinner and bed by 8.

We did one afternoon break, on our last day, so we could see the fireworks. The kids didn't nap much and were pretty exhausted. I'm glad we did it that day but it definitely wouldn't have worked every day.

When they're older I hope to enjoy some late nights too but until then an afternoon break isn't for us.

Worst advice: Charge everything to your room, then go down the night before you leave and pay off the balance (using gift cards and/or VISA rewards dollars). Sounds OK on the surface, but what I didn't know (and it wasn't mentioned) is that different resorts have different charging limits. When you hit the limit, they automatically roll the balance onto the credit card you list when you check in. I was standing there with an almost-zero balance and $500 worth of VISA rewards that would expire before our next trip because we'd hit the limit earlier in the day. Yes, the CM credited our credit card and then used our rewards points to pay off the balance, but it took over an hour and was a major headache/worry on the last night of our vacation!

One thing I also see on these boards is to buy Disney gift cards to pay for all of the expenses for your trip. All I can think is, what would happen if you have some kind of emergency and have to cancel your trip? You'd be stuck with all of your money tied up in Disney gift cards, that you couldn't use anywhere else but Disney. Makes no sense to me.

"Temperature wise, you only really need a light sweater and maybe capri pants in January."

It went to freezing or below almost every night, as soon as the sun went down. The first night we bought souvenir sweatshirts for everyone, before they all sold out. We layered them with several t-shirts each day for the rest of the trip.
Looking back, I should have taken a taxi to a 24 hour Walmart and bought us jackets and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter