• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Worth getting a hotel in San Diego?

JimboJones123

Earning My Ears
We are going for a week to SoCal in December and planning on getting the Citypass. For the two days in San Diego, is it worth it to check out from HoJo for 2 nights and bunk in San Diego, then head back? Or would it be better to drive? Hours aren't out yet for the Zoo, but I'm sure it will be something close to 10-5 just like Sea World.

I know the kids (6/3) would probably be happy enough just to sleep both days, but does that become to much driving to be worth it?

Or is it more trouble to pack up, move, and pack up again 2 days later?

If staying in San Diego, where should we stay to hit the Zoo and Sea World? We are also thinking of doing Legoland if we end up staying, so it may be for 3 nights. We have the great Entertainment rate at HoJo DL for $54 a night and would like something close to that. I've found the HoJo SD to be $71 which is okay w/the Entertainment rate.

Any Ideas?

We are leaving on Saturday morning for a trip very much like this. We are flying into John Wayne, renting a car and driving to San Diego for three nights. With our CityPass, we are visiting the SD Zoo and Sea World. Our three sons couldn't be that close and not visit Legoland, so we added a day there. Then we are back up to Anaheim for a stay at the HOJO and three days of Disney and a day at Universal before flying home the following Sunday.

I can't imagine driving from Anaheim for three days. The traffic can be a beast! Hotels in San Diego are generally more expensive but I am positive it is worth the extra cost. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Mission Bay/Sea World.

Have a great trip!

I am planning the same kind if trip in Oct/Nov. I think we have decided to stay our last two nights in San Diego so we will only have to change hotels once. I hope you all have a great time.:wizard:

I definitely would not drive back & forth. We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites in Sorrento Mesa. It is roughly about 10-15 minutes from everything! We loved it. Lot's of food choices within 5 minutes plus they have free hot breakfast.

We got it through Priceline @ $45 but I think it's hitting @ about $60 now.

We are planning our trip for December.....flying into San Diego - doing the Zoo & SeaWorld, driving up to LegoLand, then checking into a hotel in Anaheim...doing Universal & saving DL for last for 4 days.

From everything I read - everyone says you are crazy to drive.

You'd be an idiot to drive it. Not calling you an idiot, but why waste 4 hours (minimum) out of each day?

You'll be glad you stayed in SD on those nights!

I'd highly recommend that you stay at a hotel in San Diego, to make the most of your vacation. We did the Southern California Citypass thing a couple of years ago and we stayed over rather than make the daily commute, and I'm glad that we did.

Have a great trip. The HOJO Anaheim is great! We stayed at a Days Inn in San Diego - it was OK, but definitely not as nice as the HOJO Anaheim. I don't know how the HOJO in SD is though.

Wow! I'm planning the same kind of trip as well. Is the entertainment rate from the Entertainment book? Fellow DISer, Disneyland_Mama, who lives 15 minutes from DL also said not to drive back and forth.

Just thought I'd give you a little post trip follow up. On Saturday afternoon the traffic was rather heavy past Laguna Beach almost all the way to San Diego. Don't risk making the drive!

Also, the Holiday Inn Mission Bay/Sea World was a dump. We were very displeased with it !!!! We decided next time we will stay downtown.

On the other hand, we were pleasantly surprised at the HOJO. It was very clean, well kept,spacious, and our fifth floor balcony had a lovely view of the Disneyland fireworks.

Of course we added a day at Legoland to our trip but the CityPass should come with a warning label! This kind of trip is not for the weak!

Have fun!

Cathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter