Worth it now? Or wait a few years?

Carolynleanne

Canadian Disney mom
We've got a 7 night sailing on Harmony of the Seas in just under a year. We were thinking of taking the kids to Universal for two nights before the trip. They'll be 9, 7, and 5. We are regular Disney goers, but my kids love Harry Potter. I've been doing a lot of research and a lot of the Universal rides seem to be screens and quite dark, which my kids aren't going to do. A lot of the rides my two youngest will likely be too short for as well. Is this going to be a big waste of money if all they want to do is walk around Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade with wands? Do we wait another three years for Nintendo World so that we have MORE to see during our visit? They'd be 11, 9, and 7 at that point.

We've got a 7 night sailing on Harmony of the Seas in just under a year. We were thinking of taking the kids to Universal for two nights before the trip. They'll be 9, 7, and 5. We are regular Disney goers, but my kids love Harry Potter. I've been doing a lot of research and a lot of the Universal rides seem to be screens and quite dark, which my kids aren't going to do. A lot of the rides my two youngest will likely be too short for as well. Is this going to be a big waste of money if all they want to do is walk around Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade with wands? Do we wait another three years for Nintendo World so that we have MORE to see during our visit? They'd be 11, 9, and 7 at that point.
Hi Carolynleanne: Just my opinion, but I wouldn't wait. The kids (of all ages) will love Minions, Shrek, ET, MIB, and the IOA Sussel area for the younger one. There are shows including acting animals, or something like that. I haven't seen that one yet, but will next time. The HP area is worth the ticket even if that was the only thing you did, IMO. We are HP fans too, 2 adults:) There is so much to see and do there; it is amazing. I think they will all love it. The counter service food is good in both parks too. Be sure to find and go to Knockturn Alley. It's dark and creepy just like in the movies. In fact, the stores and all areas are exactly like in the movies. Also, before you enter diagon alley, be sure to knock on the door of #12 in the buildings on the right. Kreacher will peek out of the upstairs window. Lots of fun stuff to do now for your kids, IMO. But everyone knows their kids so it's up to you, but I wouldn't put it off at all.

To quote the movie Radio...."I want both!"

Do both. I try to do "middle of nowhere" for my vacations since I live near all this junk, and I never mind seeing the same waterfall twice. Granted, the waterfall is free :)

Hi Carolynleanne: Just my opinion, but I wouldn't wait. The kids (of all ages) will love Minions, Shrek, ET, MIB, and the IOA Sussel area for the younger one. There are shows including acting animals, or something like that. I haven't seen that one yet, but will next time. The HP area is worth the ticket even if that was the only thing you did, IMO. We are HP fans too, 2 adults:) There is so much to see and do there; it is amazing. I think they will all love it. The counter service food is good in both parks too. Be sure to find and go to Knockturn Alley. It's dark and creepy just like in the movies. In fact, the stores and all areas are exactly like in the movies. Also, before you enter diagon alley, be sure to knock on the door of #12 in the buildings on the right. Kreacher will peek out of the upstairs window. Lots of fun stuff to do now for your kids, IMO. But everyone knows their kids so it's up to you, but I wouldn't put it off at all.

I’d agree with you 100%:thumbsup2

It seems you're already planning to go again in the future and if that is the case I'd say go now and go again in the future as well.

They are at a very magical age and there will be plenty of things to do. Not only to explore, but there are many places for them to use their wand (I suggest doing this during EE, or later in the evening during slower times mainly), there is a lot of shopping to do, and a lot of little things to find and discover as a fan. Not only the Kreacher bit, but also there is a phone booth in which you can dial MAGIC and get a message from the Ministry. One of my favorite things to check out is the vanishing cabinet in Borgin and Burkes. A TM told me it was a prop from the film (also there are all kind of other props you can't get your hands on which are at the top level in Borgin and Burkes, as well as on the very top of Vervish and Banges (Hogsmeade)). You can hear a bird in the vanishing cabinet and if you place your hand in just the right spot you can "feel" the bird fluttering in there. I think it's a really cool effect. There are also different live shows at the park, as well as the Hogwarts light show at night (which could be different depending what season you're there).

That being said, if you really want to take it all in you can spend a decent amount of time in the WWoHP without even riding the attractions. There is Flight of the Hippogriff they could get on for sure I'd imagine (36" requirement). Also, HE can be ridden of all ages and is a different experience depending which direction you're going. Also, as @disneyseniors mentioned you can enjoy the other more kid friendly attractions in the other parts of the parks as well.

Our girls were 9 and 10 for our first trip and had a blas. The Harry Potter area could probably keep them entertained for two days if necessary. They were tall enough to ride everything, but were roller-coaster chickens before the trip. I actually got them to both ride Dueling Dragons (replaced now by Hagrids), and they ended up liking it. They youngest even went on RRR with me.

When we first got there, I was very careful about the rides we went on. I knew that if we went on one "bad" one, it could scare them enough to not ride anything else. As their confidence grew, we started going on bigger rides. Three years later, they will ride anything in the park...

We are going this year with friends which matches our desire to wait until our son is almost 11 and tall enough to ride every ride at USO. Now the question is WILL he ride some of the more intense stuff or will he opt out, which will make me sad if he does not ride but can't force him either. We'll see how it goes......

PS - On our last trip to WDW in Dec 2017 I did get him on everything he could ride at that time, including Space Mtn, EE, Splash Mtn, BTMR. Only skipped RnRC cause he was too short and ToT cause he rode it when he was just tall enough and that scared him so he was not interested in trying it again. Maybe this trip will be different for that as well as the more intense stuff at USO.

Brought my 4 kids 8, 6, 2 and 1 this past October and they all loved it, there was something for everyone. So I think you should go.

We've had our 2 year old granddaughter there a few times and she absolutely loves it.

My twins were 6 the first visit. We were there 6 nights (4 days in the parks), and we were plenty entertained. They are so excited to be going back in a little over a week! Even though my DS 7 is still a short guy and probably won't be able to do anymore rides than he could before and my DD 7 is a scaredy cat (she did do Gringotts and Kong once, but would not again, she would not do many of the rides she is tall enough for). They loved wands, ET, seuss, candy shops, donuts, Mardi Gras, fountain that talks to you, hotel pool, etc. Anyhow, I think you can have lots of fun if you go now.

If going now means you can't go later or you will miss something else your family rather do, then I do think the full experience is better for kids who are over 48" Otherwise, just go now, you don't know what the future holds. Universal will only get more expensive as the years go on.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! I really appreciate it :) We've decided to hold off on Universal. We go to Florida nearly every year and don't plan to stop any time soon, so we'll just plan to hit it up in two years or three years instead of next year. We just did ten nights at Disney so we could use a theme park break anyways ;)

We've already got 7 nights of fun aboard Harmony of the Seas planned, and we'll fly in a day early and stay at a hotel for the night. Maybe even a Disney one. We'll use that $2000+ towards a trip to Scotland were hoping to day next!

Sooo worth it!! there are so many things for the little ones to enjoy... My son is 10 and won't ride ANY scary rides but there is a ton there that he loves... Suess land most of all I think :) :) And he LOVED the Simpsons land, ET, Harry Potter land, Hogwarts Express, Spiderman, Minion ride, Skull Island, Fast & Furious, all of it!

My 6 year old Grandson will pick Universal over Disney every time. He’s happy to do both, but prefers Universal. He likes Simpson’s, Minions, Gringott’s, MIB, King Kong, One Fish Two Fish, Cat n the Hat, Jurassic Park, Hogwart’s Express...I’m sure I probably missed something. Oh ya, Twirl and Hurl (I love the commentary), and Fast and Furious and Jimmy Fallon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter