would DDE and DDP work well together?

Glorydaz

"with this ring, I ask you to be mine" 10.31.07
new owner at SSR and first AP just purchased. my daughter and I will be down in May and I'm wondering if I should get the meal plan AND the DDE card? I will also be back in October for 6 nights and January 07 for 3 or 4 nights....all adults each trip..

my question is : are you allowed to combine BOTH at the same meal?? example : the DDP uses credits for the meal and the DDE gives a discount on items not included plus any alcoholic beverages... also, where does the DVC card come in handy? I know there is a 10% (?) discount but where is that applicable?

I'm trying to save money - not spend more! :rolleyes: my daughter and I will be eating at Wolfgang's, Norway Princess breakfast, San Angel Inn and Spoodles...

all suggestions happily read!! :thanks:

Michelle

When dining you can ask for seperate bills, one to be payed in cash and the other with dining plan credits. You can then apply the DDE discount on that cash bill.

On our 7 night trip last summer we did the plan, I could not see spending enough(in addition to plan) to justify also doing the DDE. We spent very little extra on food/drinks.

But I am the only person that drinks, and I just had a couple beers at epcot. If your group drinks more, your savings would add up fast.

So I would really only do one or the other, but they are compatible.

Yes, no problem. We did this in September 2005 (free dining). We used the DDE discount for my grandson's meals and used TS credits from the DDP for other meals. Often some of us would not be too hungary and didn't use the DDP credits. We also don't use the TS credits for breakfast, so used the DDE discount instead. We also don't think TS credits are a wise use at the Plaza and Trails End, so the DDE comes in handy then. It was never a problem. Just tell your server at the beginning and they will make sure you get 2 separate bills. The DDP bill will have the tip included, while your DDE bill will not have the tip included (unless you are a party of 8 or more). We always tip extra on both bills, since the server had a little more record keeping to take care of for our party. It worked out great for us. We still have our DDE card and will use it in combination with our DDP in April. We have family visiting us, who are not on the DDP plan, so we'll share some of our DDP credits with them and use the DDE card when we eat at cheaper places.

For the 2nd part of your question, when you check in they will give you a small 'pocketsize' card (I think they still call it Potable Perks) that will list your current DVC member benefit discounts.

Since you also have an AP, you'll need to compare the two because some of the discounts will overlap. In some cases the AP may have a better discount, while in others the DVC has a better discount.

And the AP will have discounts at places DVC doesn't, and vice-versa.

Go over the eating habits of all in your party before you make the decision for the dining plan. We looked at it, and decided the DDP was not as good a deal for us. Our eating habits didn't match the plan well. We did feel we got a great value from our DDE card though, and we have already had two trips using that, and will have a third in December.

thanks for all your help guys... I think I'll stick to just the DDE card ..after using the DDP in February , I think I'll be much happier ordering just an appetizer and dessert if I feel like it instead of being obligated for a 3 course meal. I did read somewhere that for short trips, some people felt the DDP plan was the best route.. my sister and I are only coming for 3 or 4 days in January so I'll revisit my thoughts on the DDP before that trip..

off to order my DDE now ...thanks again! :wave2:

We had the DDE card last year and will renew it this year. I thought it was great. :thumbsup2

You can definitely combine both the DP and the DDE but then it's harder to get your money back on the DDE when using it just for alcoholic beverages and extras. It would take a long time to spend 300 dollars on those alone which is what you'd need to do to break even.

Although I love the idea of paying a fixed amount for the DP, overall, having thought about it, I like the DDE card better.

I see a number of advantages of DDE over the DP:
1. You don't have the nagging pressure that you must eat appetiser/main course/dessert at dinner as well as a 2 course CS lunch and snack etc. You eat as little or as much as you wish or can afford, without trying to use up credits. This is especially valid if you have a child over the age of 9 - I know my 11 year old would not eat all that food (thank God!).

2. Let's say you have a TS meal booked and suddenly you can't make it because it pours rain or one of you is too tired or just likes the idea of hanging out at the resort, well you can cancel the ADR and eat in your room or resort without losing money i.e. your TS credit.

3. I know one doesn't have to overeat on the DP but it would be hard (for me definitely!) to resist that dessert when it's already paid for!!

Lastly, I was reading a thread earlier that said marketing is a funny thing and it's all in how a company words an offer. Imagine if the DDE was worded like this: Pay for 4 TS meals and get 1 FREE!!! Well people would be all over it! And that's exactly what it is! Of course gratuity is extra and would be calculated at the full meal price but still essentially 1 out of every 5 TS meals is free and if one chooses to eat at all qualifying CS places for lunch, the same offer applies there!

Good luck with your decision! I would just stick with the DDE and watch, with pleasure, those discounts adding up!
:)

Family of 10 going in May, will let you know we booked the DDP, I have the DDE card and intend to use it for drinks etc. Buy the way we saved over $600 last May in 5 days with the DDE.

Ive had the DDE card for our past 2 vacations - 2wks last Aug, 1wk this March.
In Aug we have the DDP booked for our 3night stay at AKL btwn our VWL 5nights and BCV 6nights. Im planning on also renewing our DDE

We had the DDP and the DDE for our trip last September. We definitely saved a ton with both plans. And ate like queens, but with four adult women it was easier to get our money's worth. We had an average of 2 drinks a piece at each restaurant, we also ate at V&A's one night for dinner where the DDE saved us more than it cost alone. Also, through sharing meals we ate more TS breakfasts than we expected, and had almost too much food in the end.

well, lots of interesting points here! I've ordered my DDE card and think I will skip the DDP for my May trip with my daughter...we do that "I'm not really hungry - let's share something" deal ...she does like to indulge ( ahhh, 22 and loving it!) while I abstain 99.9% of the time .... so the DDE card sounds perfect for this trip..

in Jan '07 coming with my sister for 3 short days to celebrate our birthdays and to get out of the NY cold for a bit! we've already discussed it and plan on eating mostly TS and she loves to indulge so our thinking is we will splurge for the DDP then.... the DDE can help with the misc stuff...

however, I'm still up in the air for our Oct trip. it's myself, my signifigant other and his 78 year old Mom ... we have a 2 bedroom at SSR and I was planning on a couple of nights simple dinner in....with the DDP I have to purchase for the entire length of stay - doesn't sound like a wise choice...and I'm thinking, the only one who has a huge appetite and has to eat every 2-3 hours is my honey!! so we'll get him lots of CS meals inbetween :rotfl: .... as far as dinners in, does anyone else ever cook something simple or is that an absolute no-no on vacation??!! haven't done it so I don't know how I'm going to feel at that point.....

If you think you will spend more than $300 at participating restaurants over the course of the year, then the DDE card will save you money. Since the card costs $60 for annual passholders, $300 is the break even point. You'll save 20% of what you spend at participating restaurants after you pass the break even point.

Do check the list of participating resaurants - most are Table Service. Very few are counter service. If you eat a lot of CS as opposed to TS, DDE may not be a good value for you.

The break even point for Florida residents is $425 - because the DDE card costs them $85.

Best wishes -

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter