Would you switch…

If you've never stayed at the GF but want to I would switch. I would try to hit some of the MK area activities or restaurants you've wanted to try but never have. And as someone who owns at BLT and been to many Xmas and Halloween parties til closing ....being able to walk or a short monorail at that hour is awesome.

While GF isn't my favorite, I would def switch if I was in the OPs shoes.

I would not want to move but I love the Epcot resorts. I find the monorail resorts way too busy and chaotic. The monorail isn’t reliable and you can’t beat walking to two parks.

With that said we would probably do it bc it’s on my husbands bucket list. He rarely remembers the names of rides or hotels but he remembers the Grand and mentions it every once in a while.

Maybe look at this in terms of regret? If you do the GF and don't love the trip, you'll regret staying there, but you've stayed at the YC/BC before and probably will have the chance to again. However... when will you get a coveted post card deal again for the GF, and if you keep YC/BC, will you regret losing this opportunity to finally stay more "affordably" at the GF? Regarding theme park proximity, I am never enamored with the whole "walk to 2 parks" thing from the YC/BC. I find DHS a long walk from the Epcot area at the beginning of the day, and my dogs are too tired to do it at the end of the day (yes, there's the boat), but being at the GF will give you monorail access to both MK and Epcot, as well as walking proximity to MK (I've done it, it's not a bad stroll at all), viewing of the MK fireworks, and you can take the monrail, walk, or boat back to GF after MNSSHP.

Can you tell which resort I'd choose?

I would pick GF, especially if the rooms in the small buildings are newly refurbished. They're all done, right?

Also, which view do you get at YC vs GF?

I'd probably have to flip a coin.

I know I can't stay on the monorail loop again without some sort of discount and there's nothing like being able to see the castle from the resort. I'm not a huge fan of the aesthetic at GF but I really liked how the pools looked when we walked through the resort on the way to dinner when we stayed at the Poly.

But the Crescent Lake area just has a vibe that I really enjoy.

I would switch to GF. Love watching the fireworks from across the lagoon. I actually prefer GF pools to SAB. I also like GF QS and TS better than YC/BC. Also like the easy access to food at Poly and CR even when it's hot and/or raining via the monorail.
I agree with all of this. I've stayed at both, even doing a split stay between GF and YC a couple of years ago so had an immediate direct comparison and don't get me wrong, BC/YC are not bad resorts at all. But by nearly every metric YC felt like a step down to me. I understand why people love them so much, and I definitely enjoyed our short stay on last month's split, but those resorts are carried very, very hard by their location. Which can be had at S&D for a fraction of the price, mind.

Thought it was just me on the pools. Maybe if we had teens or older kids, but even after giving it another shot on this last trip, SAB is too crowded and too much for me. Far more so than the GF pools. Finding chairs felt so stressful at SAB by comparison. I will say the quiet pool was absolutely dead there, probably because it flies so under the radar.

It's the food for me though. The monorail loop has all my favorite resort restaurants, QS and TS. The QS lineup is pitiful at BC/YC and there really isn't anything better around Crescent Lake unless you hit up Fuel at the Dolphin (which is severely underrated imo). Yachtsman and Ale & Compass are the best things going there. You do have the easy access to WS and festival booths of course (as long as you're trying to eat after 2pm), but if you don't feel like going back into the parks you are limited there in a way you aren't at GF imo. And being all in one building is a blessing and a curse. It's nice in inclement weather. But not having any real grounds bc it's all pool contributes to a very samey feeling to the spaces at BC/YC. I love having landscaping and grass.

OP, it really depends on your priorities. I would switch in a heartbeat but I go enough and am familiar enough with these resorts that I know what I like. I would still be inclined to switch unless Epcot and HS were major priorities for you, with multiple days planned. GF is not likely to be discounted again like this any time soon with brand new rooms, it took Poly about 2 years to offer even modest discounts again after the Moana revamp.

I would pick GF, especially if the rooms in the small buildings are newly refurbished. They're all done, right?

Also, which view do you get at YC vs GF?
Even swap for a resort view or upgrade to theme park view at GF for another 800 total.

… from the Yacht Club to the Grand Floridian if the price were the same? We received one of the coveted upgrade emails yesterday and the offer is basically an even swap (well, it would actually be $39 less at the GF) from the VC to the GF.

I’m torn because I’ve always wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian but my family thinks it’s too stuffy. We stay at the Grand Californian but that’s totally different since it’s literally right in DCA. I have 10 days to decide and I’m on the fence.

Opinions, please!

P.S. I know the GF is under construction right now and likely the reason we received the offer.
Gf without question. New rooms are fantastic! Walking path to magic kingdom cannot be understated

I would still be inclined to switch unless Epcot and HS were major priorities for you, with multiple days planned.
This is the issue. Epcot and HS are both favorites of my guys. We have multiple morning reservations at each.

I'd go with the GF only if you really want to check off that box. I agree with it feeling "too stuffy", even though it isn't really.

Staying at YC is very handy to get to both Epcot and DHS.

Main building rooms are being refurbed now.
See this might be the dealbreaker for me. With our luck we would switch from a hotel that is not under construction to a room at the GF with room refurb noise. We always get the short stick in every situation.

I agree with it feeling "too stuffy", even though it isn't really.
We’ve stayed at a lot of stuffy feeling hotels including the Del Coronado, the hotel that the Grand Floridian is designed after. It’s generally not our taste. We like a nice laid back deluxe hotel.

I've been doing some of the same as you given the discounts. We have a trip next month and I thought about tacking on a night at GF since it's so "cheap" right now but 1- I really don't want to do a split stay for our trip given it's not very long and 2- I don't love the idea of all the renovations going on right now. I saw some of the plywood and stuff in the lobby and it's not horrendous but it's not great either. It could be gone in no time but it also may still be there. No matter the discount, I decided against it since it's not likely we'd fully enjoy the property given the current state. Plus, as much as I love the monorail resorts, we do more DHS/Epcot and you can't beat the location of YC/BC/BW/Swolphin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter