Would you......

Semperfi1972

Earning My Ears
Would you give up 45 Saturdays to have 16 days at WOW?

Update; No replacement day off, also when done it will be my first vacation in 5 years and only my 2nd time ever going to WDW Would be 20 years between visits.

UPDATE 2;

Ok lots of questions so I will answer a few. Married, trip for 2, first vacation in 27 years without kids they are all grown and out of the house. (Some will be there and other family doing their own thing and their own planning, will have 1 breakfast and q dinner as a group.) Wife hasn't been to WDW since she was 5.

Normally it would not take as many extra days work to save what I want for this but it has been slow. It may pick up again in fall and not take half of what I am planning.

Yes this is a over the top vacation. Of the 16 days 10 are in parks 2 are in water parks, there is a spa day and some down/resort days as well.

Yes the triip for me is the craving of Disney and some relaxation.

The only real thing I am giving up is time on the couch watching tv lol heck the wife might enjoy having time to herself(we work the same job and hours normally)

I hope I answered all questions.

Last edited:
We all make the choices about what we will and won't do to achieve a goal. If two plus weeks at Disney is your goal and you feel it's worth the sacrifice, then go for it! I've done two jobs, 7 days a week before, but that was to pay bills and not to work out a holiday. BUT if I hadn't had a good vacation in awhile? It very well might be worth it.

Let us know what you decide?

Like another poster said, 45 Saturdays is almost a year's worth of Saturdays. Giving those up for just over two weeks at WDW (or anywhere) is not something I'd do nor would my dh. But 'to each their own'...If it is worth it to you, then absolutely go for it :)

I have worked, 7 days a week before working 2 or 3 jobs, Back then I had my real day job, then I worked for 2 catering companies, as a bartender or server ... and boy was it hard but the money was to good to pass up, ... I kept a roof over my daughter and my heads, I worked to pay bills, and to have some of the extras, private school, dance class, and trips to see Mickey.. I was very lucky to have my parents be able to watch my daughter while I worked. With my 2 side jobs, I was able to have the weekend days with my daughter then she would spend the night at mom and dads. Plus with my day job I was able to still go on field trips and be one of the homeroom moms. It was a balancing act but one that I feel was worth it.

Is the money that your making going to the trip? could you work longer days and get the same results?

My thoughts might be a bit different, If this is something that is important to you and your family then I say do it. You don't want to ever look back and say why did I not do this or that. I did what you are suggesting but I did it for years. Do I regret it... No... not one bit.... it afforded me to make extra money, so that we could live comfortably and have some extra's.

If you decided to do this, I would included the family on the decision to do this, and what you expect from them, like helping around the house with extra chores, or whatever will make it easier for everything to get done, so that when you are home, you can be home with the family and not washing clothes or mowing the lawn...

I would, providing I'd still have Sunday off and it was the only option for extra hours.

But if possible, I'd rather turn my other days into longer shifts.

I'd take the hours from Saturday and divide them up and add to the other 5 days. :)

I'm very blessed to be able to work from home so can choose my hours as long as I stick to any deadlines.

I work late Tuesdays and Wednesday so I can have half days Thursdays and Fridays.

_____

Is this something you would have to commit to the full 45 days? I am actually doing something similiar; it allows me to save for vacation while at the same time paying over my min balance on my school loans and saving a bit for later emergencies. However I know that if I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed or unwell I stop the overtime for a week or two until I'm back to working capacity.

If this is something you can do on and off I'd say go for it. If not could you try it gradually maybe? Work once a Saturday a month for a few months. If that 's not overwhelming try for two? that way you'll get used to it without going over your head. You know you and what you can handle...just be careful not to bite off more than you can chew :)

45 Saturdays = 360 extra hours. I would just find a way to add an additional 360 hours of working time over the course of the weeks...not just one solid extra day a week. Maybe a few longer shifts on Tues/Thurs, 1 Saturday a month, etc.

I have worked a LOT of overtime, a lot of Saturdays, in my career. I did a stretch of about 6 months of 6-7 day/weeks. I would not do 45 weeks. The exhaustion was incredible. But, I was so wound up from the work, that I didn't sleep. It was a rough time...the $$$ was killer, but the toll it took? Would take longer than 16 days at WDW to recover..

No way. That's almost a year of Saturdays and that's too much for me. But to each their own! If you decide to do it I hope you go on to have an amazing trip for all your hard work!!

No. Because 45 days of overtime pay would not be enough to pay for 16 days at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter