• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yesterday's DIS Unplugged show

My problem was when a whole show was dedicated to asking why people aren't cruising....and we answered.... some of them didn't like the response they got, and had a tone/reaction that made me feel like I was crazy for sharing my answer/opinion
With you 100 percent here. I found most of the replies very respectful and informed, which is why it was strange to hear a rant about people accusing them of being entitled, I just did not understand where that came from. To be fair, Deni and John were very diplomatic the entire show, and I think Pete was more reacting to assumptions based on Kevin's mini-rant.

Also, the dreams of Chapek being gone have been all but shattered with Disney's earnings yesterday. In a sea of red in the stock market today, DIS was green to the tune of almost 4%. That is a bummer!

I think, based upon a YT comment from is solo show, that Pete is waning in his enthusiasm for WDW currently, you're either going to see him on the show talking about DCL (Which I don't mind, but I understand others do), or he's not going to be on the weekly show.

I've never seen anyone call him elitist (but I can believe they do - I don't read every comment) - and was surprised when he called it out on a DCL (an actual DCL show, not an Unplugged) show a few weeks ago.

I never thought of him as elitist for working hard and spending his money how he likes. That's silly.

Father of 2 kids here….I don’t comment much on these threads but I listen/watch the podcasts. I really wish Deni spoke up more on that episode. It was very uncomfortable to listen to, mainly the comments by Pete and Kevin. Deni is, BY FAR, the most level-headed and down to earth contributor to these shows and it felt like she didn’t want to speak up in fear of getting barked at by Pete/Kevin. In reality, she is the contributor who relates to the majority of Dis fans the most because she is a parent and has experienced our issues traveling with family.

Looking forward to shows soon that don’t make me feel like I walked into an uninvited private party.

I don't think that being a Florida Resident makes you bias. Not everything is close we are a big state. If you are driving down from the Tallahassee to Miami takes 8+ hours to get there. I am a 4 to 5 hours drive from Disney World. So just keep that in mind. I know many who drive down from Pensacola to Orlando, It's a long trip. And sometimes people choose to fly to different parts of the state

And I won't go on a Disney Cruise due to the price. $4000 is a lot of money
I don't think anyone meant that being a Florida resident necessarily makes you biased, just that being a Florida resident who is able to easily drive to/from the parks and ports (which many of the contributors are) can lead to differing points of view from those who travel further (like you said, the people from several hours away).

I just watched the disunplugged show, and I can say that I don't see what all the emotion about this show is about? The only thing I couldn't understand was the mention of "elitist" by Pete and Kevin? I have read most of these posts, not all, and haven't seen this word mentioned.
The only thing that I wondered about was Kevin's remark saying that some people on this thread said they didn't want to cruise, and he said rather sharply, "So Don't Cruise!!!" I felt that was uncalled for. It stands to reason that if someone says they won't cruise and are not interested in it, then they won't. I made the comment that we aren't interested in cruising and won't go on a cruise. I also acknowledged that the people who do cruise seem to love it, but we are still not interested. It was a response to Pete's question, Why don't you people go on a cruise (or something like that)? Answer: not interested.period.
Just like John said: People like different things and that's alright. I can understand Pete's reluctance to go role play and do things he is not interested in on the Star Cruiser. I wouldn't want to either. I think he should just do what HE wants to do, not what others think he should do.
So, I guess I wanted to say that I enjoyed the show and didn't find anything to get all upset about. IMO.

I unsubscribed from the show on Apple Podcasts after listening to this most recent episode. For me, the show has really suffered since they did away with a set topic. It's the same old 2-3 punching bags at length every episode.

I understand that because of COVID they're having fewer people in the studio/on each show, but not having a consistent panel hurts the overall flow of the conversation. The roster, as many have noted, isn't diverse enough. On the most recent episode, Deni was the only woman and the only person with children and they kept interrupting her. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I adore Off the Rails and Best and Worst. WDW Info is great and so is DIS Boards. The whole team does wonderful charity work, they've kept a major travel business afloat through a pandemic, and I don't think there's anything entitled or elitist about going on a million cruises or buying designer bags.

I've just found that there are other Disney podcasts that can cover the same topics in a non-sugarcoated way without the same extended vitriol against the company or against the show's listeners.

I think, based upon a YT comment from is solo show, that Pete is waning in his enthusiasm for WDW currently, you're either going to see him on the show talking about DCL (Which I don't mind, but I understand others do), or he's not going to be on the weekly show.
No way. That's just not going to happen. Pete knows that the business needs to sell both DCL and WDW vacations. He's not going to ignore a significant part of the sales.

I wish Deni would have chimed in, or maybe she didn't want to, as she had children.
I think she did try toward the end of the discussion. Perhaps a question of trying to pick the best time to present 'the other side' of the coin. She is clearly sensitive to this issue, has voiced it on another show in the past, and knows this is a very significant concern not just for families but for many guests flying in from out of state. To be very fair, there may only be so much anyone can do when their employers have a strong opinion and you are sitting at the table with them. I've watched the DIS for almost a decade and sense that it is a very supportive workplace that always encourages the Team to make their views known. That's how the show thrives. But even in a great environment, there are practical limits. Probably more so when you have to read the mood in the room, and at the table, and make those decisions live on air.

No way. That's just not going to happen. Pete knows that the business needs to sell both DCL and WDW vacations. He's not going to ignore a significant part of the sales.
There are still shows on their YT channels that are enthusiastic about Disney Parks, Pete just isn't on those shows. His passion right now seems to be DVC and cruising, not the parks (at least not WDW).

Father of 2 kids here….I don’t comment much on these threads but I listen/watch the podcasts. I really wish Deni spoke up more on that episode. It was very uncomfortable to listen to, mainly the comments by Pete and Kevin. Deni is, BY FAR, the most level-headed and down to earth contributor to these shows and it felt like she didn’t want to speak up in fear of getting barked at by Pete/Kevin. In reality, she is the contributor who relates to the majority of Dis fans the most because she is a parent and has experienced our issues traveling with family.

Looking forward to shows soon that don’t make me feel like I walked into an uninvited private party.
yes, we are the guests and always polite and respectful.

Honestly, I think everyone's making good points here. On one hand, they run a business and (as a general rule) Disney Cruises are much more lucrative for TA's than Disney World trips are. While I might personally choose to handle things differently right now, I can see why someone selling travel may want to push cruising. On the other hand, while there are lots of great things about cruising right now, it's not for everyone. There are absolutely financial and emotional risks involved, and it is completely reasonable if individuals decide those risks aren't worth it for them at the moment. If someone in the industry chooses to ask the gen pub why they aren't cruising right now, they should be prepared for honest (and entirely valid) answers.

Last edited:
and for the millionth time, the show/podcast needs one actual parent of a younger or teen child/children to show all perspectives in order to have a well rounded group.

Not a frequent commentator on these types of discussions, but I've been listening back to some of the old podcast episodes (think 2009-2012 era) and I do feel this point when I relisten to the segments that Teresa and Julie hosted. I'm talking about things like Julie discussing the baby care centers and the pros/cons of each; Teresa being given $2,500 to plan a vacation for her family of 5 (and the struggles of finding a room that can fit all 5), or being sent to re-review T-Rex after Kevin and John went specifically because she had children.

From a high-level view, yes, I do think Pete/John/Kevin can understand the struggles that parents face through their business or through their experiences with friends. However, as you dig deeper into planning and the day-to-day navigation of the parks and cruising, there are certain perspectives that only people with children (and especially those who are not within a short drive of the Disney bubble) can offer.

We obviously know that having folks on the podcast who aren't in the Orlando area is difficult, but I would love to hear more of these types of discussions in the future.

I have to say as a long-time viewer/listener of the show....I'm loving all this. I don't agree with them all the time at all but any time Pete and his crew interact with the listeners, even when it's negative, makes for an entertaining show

Honestly, I think everyone's making good points here. On one hand, they run a business and (as a general rule) Disney Cruises are much more lucrative for TA's than Disney World trips are. While I might personally choose to handle things differently right now, I can see why someone selling travel may want to push cruising. On the other hand, while there are lots of great things about cruising right now, it's not for everyone. There are absolutely financial and emotional risks involved, and it is completely reasonable if individuals decide those risks aren't worth it for them at the moment. If someone in the industry chooses to ask the gen pub why they aren't cruising right now, they should be prepared for honest (and entirely valid) answers.
I see your point, but there is a way to subtly suggest a disney cruise might be a good buy right now, or might be enjoyable for some. The way DCL was pushed on the show, two weeks in a row, with DCL being the primary content, was a bit over the top. The way Pete was acting incredulous that people would choose a WDW vacation over a cruise was bordering on offensive. A lot of people haven't had a chance to experience all the newest attractions at WDW, because they only go every few years. And with the Covid crisis, even less often. I imagine that those people are the "bread and butter" of disney travel agents - people who need information on everything that has changed. If I was excited about experiencing Rise of the Resistance and Flight of Passage for the first time, I wouldn't want a travel agent to say "wouldn't you rather go on a cruise?"

I see your point, but there is a way to subtly suggest a disney cruise might be a good buy right now, or might be enjoyable for some. The way DCL was pushed on the show, two weeks in a row, with DCL being the primary content, was a bit over the top. The way Pete was acting incredulous that people would choose a WDW vacation over a cruise was bordering on offensive. A lot of people haven't had a chance to experience all the newest attractions at WDW, because they only go every few years. And with the Covid crisis, even less often. I imagine that those people are the "bread and butter" of disney travel agents - people who need information on everything that has changed. If I was excited about experiencing Rise of the Resistance and Flight of Passage for the first time, I wouldn't want a travel agent to say "wouldn't you rather go on a cruise?"

I completely agree.

I have to say as a long-time viewer/listener of the show....I'm loving all this. I don't agree with them all the time at all but any time Pete and his crew interact with the listeners, even when it's negative, makes for an entertaining show
at home i think i'm speaking for so many of all of us everything is extremely stressful with regard to our lives with inflation and covid and our businesses/work lives and our children and their issues and elderly parents issues. i try to escape as best as i can with my podcasts and tv shows to get away from negativity and i like my entertainment to be about disney escapism, fun, most of the times (not always of course). that's why off the rails is a bit more light entertainment for me, ryno mostly delivers that approachable feeling for me, deni of course, so maybe it's good sometimes to try the other dis podcasts/youtube channels when needing a break from the other. swap it out. watch a dining review, cook a recipe from deni's saturday recipe items, read an article by the dis that inspires etc. Shake it up. or just listen to the new dis radio station to change it up a bit. maybe i'll do that today.

at home i think i'm speaking for so many of all of us everything is extremely stressful with regard to our lives with inflation and covid and our businesses/work lives and our children and their issues and elderly parents issues. i try to escape as best as i can with my podcasts and tv shows to get away from negativity and i like my entertainment to be about disney escapism, fun, most of the times (not always of course). that's why off the rails is a bit more light entertainment for me, ryno mostly delivers that approachable feeling for me, deni of course, so maybe it's good sometimes to try the other dis podcasts/youtube channels when needing a break from the other. swap it out. watch a dining review, cook a recipe from deni's saturday recipe items, read an article by the dis that inspires etc. Shake it up. or just listen to the new dis radio station to change it up a bit. maybe i'll do that today.
i hear you, but i must admit i'm a fan of the drama too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter