Yet Another Full Moon... ;)

Jeff,

Your pictures are truly amazing! You are a true master of your craft.

Also Bob your moon shot is awsome as well!

I love these pics they are breathtaking. Can someone please tell me how to take pics of the moon and not have them come out like a giant over inflated marshmellow. I have a Olympus evolt e300 and the moon where I live (N.Central FL) was beautiful last night, when it first came up it was a harvest moon, my favorite, and when I tried it just looked like a giant blob. Please help.

These moon shots are fantastic. I can never get one clear enough to crop that well. It is frustrating.

[nerd] The moon has an albedo of about 0.12, meaning it reflects about 12% of the sun's light back to us. [/nerd] In other words, it is pretty bright. However, it is usually surrounded by a very dark sky, driving our camera's meters crazy. The result is usually a lot of overexposure. The idea is to trust your histogram and if it shows a lot of spikes to the right, back off on the exposure.

I used spot metering but still usually needed exposure compensation to get a good exposure. My basic setting was about 1/250, f/5.6, ISO 200.
My lens for this round of moon shots was a Canon 70-200 with 1.4X extender for a total of 280mm, plus a *lot* of cropping.
For next month I am considering renting a 400mm lens, about $45/week. Once the lens arrives it will probably rain every day for a week. I am an optimist. ;)

I will gladly recommmend Camera Lens Rentals. Barry does a nice job there. I rented the 100-400mm IS for a trip at the end of the summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter