Yet another theory about GE crowds

This is exactly what we are planning to do. Once RotR opens we will do a one day trip just to check it out, nothing crazy with the sole purpose to only do Galaxy's Edge.

I also want to see what they offer as far as hard ticket events. If they have like an After Hours event like at other parks that don't require a separate admission ticket I think we might do that one trip (heck, maybe twice) - and then do other things in the area

I also want to see what they offer as far as hard ticket events. If they have like an After Hours event like at other parks that don't require a separate admission ticket I think we might do that one trip (heck, maybe twice) - and then do other things in the area
If they do some type of after hours event the cost will be outrageous and people would pay..

We just visited SWGE at Disneyland--we had also booked Paradise Pier and were upgraded to the Grand Californian. The bellman told us if it were not for the people being re-directed from the Paradise Pier they would be "empty." Disneyland was what I would call busy but not crazy. There were more people in SWGE than I would have liked--a week or so ago Disney began letting people who had screwed up their SWGE reservation add people--and I think (unfortunately for us) that greatly increased the number of people in Batuu as compared to when it first opened. The real test will be Monday, when it opens without the reservation system. From what we saw (people in line crying because their dream was being met) we think it will be crazy--but Disneyland has a HUGE population to draw from for day guests as opposed to WDW. So I think most will be AP's or day guests who are coming with the express purpose of getting into SWGE. What residual effect will be on the rest of the park will be interesting. I expect a lot of disappointment as people come in and try to get a virtual boarding pass and those are going to be gone within the first hour.

Trying to get "the full experience" is definitely affecting my planning as someone who only goes every few years (because it's so expensive and far--I'd love to go every year). First we thought we were going to DLR this autumn, but then they eliminated Jedi Training. One my kids turns 12 in the next year, so a final round of being a padawan was part of the timing of our trip. Then DLR decided to offer one and only one princess character meal at a cost so high that my entire family of six cannot go. So we switched to WDW. Now I hold TWO separate reservations for early January and mid-March, hoping RotR opens before one of them. So I am totally part of a market segment that is not beating not the door to Batuu, despite MEGA high interest, because this will be a very big, important trip that won't get repeated in the foreseeable future, so I'm really hoping RotR opens for the holidays.

I am starting to suspect that ROTR won`t open this year. No word from Disney, definitely no announcements as to an opening date, and a CM or insider on another site said that the ride is "a mess." Sounds like the ride needs a lot of work.

I just watched the DISboard's founder's podcast on this-he is predicting a fall discount because GE isn't bringing in the crowds Disney expected. He said all resorts have plenty of availability, and he expects only moderate crowds. I believe he knows his stuff. We are going September 6-12, and not going into GE. I am really hoping the rest of HS and the other parks will be manageable.

On another site`s crowd calendars, they opined that the opening months at GE won`t be quite as frenzied as expected until Rise of the Resistance opens. So here`s my theory: while GE will, of course, be very popular from day one, I don`t think that a lot of people will be changing their vacation plans specifically to be there for the first weeks or months of GE. However, after the signature E Ticket opens, that`s when people will be building their trips around THAT opening. That`s because the land won`t be complete until ROTR is ready to start people eating!

What do you all think?
This has been my thought from the beginning, but everyone thinks I'm crazy. I guess time will tell. I just haven't ever heard anyone say they are planning a trip for SWGE, except here on the boards. In everyday life, even my disney loving friends have no plans to go until their next scheduled annual visits.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter