Yo Ho Yo Ho, A Disney Trip For Us

Malton Seadog

Mouseketeer
Well here we are again. After our last visit (June 2008), we thought it would be ages until the next trip to the house of mouse, but it had come round very quickly.

Here is the account, in diary form, of day one.

Saturday 23rd May 2009

05:15 - the alarm goes off in sleepy Conisbrough, South Yorkshire. Two very excitied travellers rise and attempt breakfast but it's not really happening. We are booked on the 06:40 train from nearby Doncaster to London Kings Cross.

06:43 - the train is a few minutes late but we have plenty of time once we get to London. Our Eurostar doesn't leave St Pancras until 12:29 so we weren't too bothered.

07:50 - a bit peckish now actually. Hmmm. Train food? Yeah - why not. I head off to the cafe bar with a £10 note and return with a few coins. We bought two bacon sandwiches. Ah well - good practice for expensive park food!

08:45 - we arrive into London Kings Cross on time and walk to St Pancras where we intend to pick up our tickets. We booked over the phone because we had a discount offer due to a delay in last year's trip. Due to a fire outside Paris last June, our train was stopped for an hour which entitled us to 50% off a return ticket on this occasion.

09:15 - it's all gone very wrong. We pick our tickets up and apparently we are on the 15:29 out of London. Our return tickets are for the 15:13 from Paris which arrives into London at 16:29. We booked our Doncaster tickets for the 15:35 from London. Why would we have got to London at 08:45 if our train wasn't until 15:29? Why would we have booked a ticket back to Doncaster before the Eurostar was even back in England?! Eurostar had got it VERY wrong and we let them know about it. They could do nothing to reassure my girlfriend who was by this point in an utter state of panic and anger. I phoned Ashford from the free kiosks in the Eurostar office and they said they couldn't get us on an earlier train. This we could cope with. It was the return which was the problem. A walk on ticket to Doncaster would set us back £70 each. Thankfully, they got us onto the 11:13 back from Paris. We booked the 12:13, but this didn't appear to be the case on their system. I lost a certain amount of confidence in them from that moment onwards. They had got both our tickets wrong. Here starteth a 6.5 hour wait at St Pancras.

09:18 - bored now. Might have a look around the shops.

09:35 - well that took a long time. I'll sit here for a bit and see if I can count how many people are wearing black shoes in a pathetic attempt at self entertainment.

10:05 - I have a puzzle book! It's quite a big one too. 500+ puzzles. This should keep me busy.

10:10 - they're a bit hard. Maybe I should look around the shops again.

12:00 - lunch time. Fantastic - something to break up the monotony! Ooh - a tuna sandwich. Excitement unleashed in St Pancras station!

14:00 - I dance a jig of joy as check in opens. We go through without any problems. Finally, the final hour and a half is here.

15:00 - choo chooooo! We get on the train to realise we're sat facing backwards. T'other half has a look of dismay on her face as she doesn't travel well unless she's going forwards. I'm sure I booked us a forward facing seat... oh wait, no, this is Eurostar we're talking about.

16:05 - it's all gone dark. Anyone would think we'd entered a tunnel.

18:59 - Paris Gare du Nord. A welcome sight indeed. Now to find the RER line to Chatelet-Les-Halles.

19:15 - Found it AND managed to buy a ticket. Well impressed!

19:18 - Change trains onto Line A to Val d'Europe where our hotel lies.

20:05 - Where is our hotel? It said on the website that it was 20 metres from the station. How can you not see a hotel that is 20 metres away?

20:10 - Ahhh! The station has two exits at either end of the long platform. Naturally, we'd come out of the wrong one. Hotel found - and it is ridiculously close to the station. (see image below taken from the Paris platform. The hotel (Ibis Marne la Vallee) is in the background).

DSC_0268_186-800.jpg

21:00 - On a train to Disney Village. I'm not sure I can cope with the long journey.

21:02 - Oh. That was quick!

21:10 - Genuine smiles as we see the entrance to the park and Disney Village in front of us.

21:20 - Can't talk - eating. A very welcome McDonalds eases our hunger pangs. It's been a long day.

22:30 - Back on the RER. Another 2 minute mammoth journey!

23:30 - Zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

That's it for day one folks. More to follow shortly!

oh bless! thats sounds like a nightmare of a journey! i bet u couldnt wait 2 fall into your bed! hay things can only get better though! have a wiked time! xxx

Oh my goodness!! While it was a muck up job, it didn't half make me laugh!! glad you got there!! :thumbsup2 Rather sound like my journeys when I got to Germany - nightmare!!

Day Two - Sunday 24th May 2009

07:45 - Woooohooooo! We are literally bouncing off the walls. It's day one of four in the park. Never is there a more exciting time than the hour leading up to the return!

08:15 - Bit of a food misunderstanding at Marne la Vallee RER station. We see two croissants which look nice for breakfast. One is called 'pan au chocolat' which we've had countless times before, and the other is called 'mascotte au chocolat' or something similar. I think it looks suspicious but t'other half insists on getting two. We go to find somewhere to eat them.

08:17 - "I b***** told you it was a doughnut!"

08:30 - In the queue for the turnstiles. Perhaps a little keen but never mind.

08:55 - An hour and five minutes before official opening and the CMs are making their way to the gates...

09:25 - ...where they stand doing absolutely nothing for 30 minutes whilst we queue patiently!

09:28 - Hello Main Street USA. Hello Disneyland Paris. Hello Perfection.

09:47 - We wait at the 'secret' entrance to Frontierland at the end of Liberty Arcade. Only 10 people join us. It's a busy day yet still people ignore this entrance.

09:59 - Erm... they've let us in early. We are the first people in Frontierland. Only one thing for it - RUN!!!

10:00 - Not a bad start. First train of Big Thunder Mountain. Front two seats. First people on the ride of the entire day. Reasonable!

12:00 - We've notched up five rides before heading for lunch. We decide to head to the pleasant Toad Hall for a chicken burger meal which weighs in at €10.95 each. We find this one of the nicer counter service food establishments.

18:45 - After notching up 23 rides (yes - twenty three) on the first day, we decide to leave the park early and get to Annette's Diner. Before we do though, we book Blue Lagoon for the following evening at City Hall.

19:00 - We order the set menu in Annette's for €19.95 each. I had a chicken fillet burger with chips and side salad and a delicious chocolate pudding. Not cheap and to be honest not the best table service restaurant in the resorts. It's just a burger joint with fancy dress on. I wouldn't rush back there despite it being nice.

21:00 - Back to Val d'Europe for a nice snooze but not before I buy 'From Sketch to Reality' - an awesome book I've had my eye on for ages. Picked it up for €45 in the Disney Gallery shop in Disney Village.

22:30 - Zzzzz.... tomorrow couldn't have come soon enough!

-----

Rides Visited: 23

Pirates of the Carribean: 6
Big Thunder Mountain: 5
Phantom Manor: 3
It's a Small World - 2
Nautilus - 1
Pinocchio - 1
Snow White - 1
Star Tours - 1
Molly Brown - 1
Casey Junior - 1
Storybook Canal - 1

-------

TIPS FOR THE DAY

1. ALWAYS keep hydrated. It hit the low 30s on Sunday and we really felt it. Keep watered at all times - it's amazing how quick dehydration sneaks up on you.

2. DON'T buy water in the park. We got a 1.5litre bottle of water from the RER station for €1.20. When empty - simply refill using the many drinking fountains in the parks.

3. TO get the most from busy mornings - run to Big Thunder Mountain first. If you can't get on because you're too far back in the queue - simply get a FastPass which will have 10:45-11:15 on it or similar. Then ride Pirates and Phantom and then return. This way, you can do three big rides in the opening hour.

4. DON'T overdo yourselves. We went a little too fast but we felt it was worth it. Always pace yourselves sensibly. Don't feel ashamed if you feel the need to sit down for 30 minutes if the heat or blisters get too much. We did it on several occasions.

====

Photos of Day One

1. Me on the camel bench in Adventureland:

2. My favourite view in the whole park.

3. Queuing for Pirates - again!

Loving your diary style TR!! I smiled when you woke up in South Yorkshire as we've left from Barnsley for Disneyland Paris twice- Such a long journey! Worth it in the end though! :goodvibes And 23 rides, nice one! I might tally up how many rides we go on when we go in Sept.... :goodvibes

Bob xoxoox

Great couple of days, except for the mix up with the train tickets

Day 3 - Monday 25th May 2009

07:47 - Up and about again ready for our second day in the park! We know not to queue up as early today so we decide to have a slightly later start.

08:30 - we pick up a pan au chocolat each from the station. At least it's not a doughnut this time!

08:45 - Walking around Disney Village and the excitement begins to grow again!

09:25 - In the queue to get in. It's going to be a busy one today as I believe the French celebrate the May Bank Holiday like the Brits do... not sure though.

09:55 - We queue up at the end of Liberty Arcade to get in the park to try and emulate the amazing start yesterday.

10:00 - It doesn't happen. We are in later than the main queue and have to do with a FastPass for Big Thunder Mountain. We also realise that Phantom Manor is not open until 11 (something which was constant throughout the trip - quite annoying really as it'd be a walk on for the first 15-20 minutes as everyone is on BTM).

10:05- Yo Ho, Yo Ho....guess!

10:30 - We do a few rides in Fantasyland such as Small World and Snow White (the non queuers) to pass time until our BTM FastPass and Phantom opens.

12:00 - After a quiet morning by our standards of 4 rides, we head to Bella Notte for dinner. You get a LOT of food here and it really does provide great value for money. We got a 12" (I think) pizza, some garlic bread, a doughnut and a 500ml drink for €12.95 which provides a lot for your money, especially by park standards. It proved my downfall though...

12:30 - After riding Phantom we head to BTM. I don't quite feel right though.

12:40 - Great. I'm sat on a bench near Fort Comstock wondering whether I'd like to throw up or not! We both agree that it was not a good idea to have such a filling meal and then ride two rides half an hour later. Unfortunately, I associated BTM with feeling ill after this and we rode it just once more in the next two days. I'll be ok next time we go though.

13:30 - Still feeling a bit funky but we decide to make the most of the afternoon and spend the rest of the four hours in Fantasyland and Adventureand. We overlook Discoveryland completely today - the rides are just too busy.

17:30 - The moment I'd been waiting for since I first went to DLRP in 1998. The BLUE LAGOON!!!

17:45 - Wow. That looks amazing! We had the Treasures of the Seas Menu each for €37. Not cheap but without a single doubt the best food I have ever tasted - and I say this with no exaggeration. I had the swordfish and papaya starter, followed by the Sea Bream main and coconut tart for dessert. It was exquisite. The bill for two, including drinks, was over €80. Well worth the treat though.

19:00 - Time to go. We have a quick look round Disney Village but decide to head back early.

22:00 - Zzzzz.... see you again tomorrow Disneyland!

----------

Rides Visited: 14 (Running total in brackets)

Pirates of the Carribean: 5 (11)
Phantom Manor: 4 (7)
Big Thunder Mountain: 2 (7)
It's a Small World: 1 (3)
Pinnochio: 1 (2)
Snow White: 1 (2)

---------

Some photos from The Blue Lagoon

1. My starter of Swordfish and Papaya at Blue Lagoon.

2. The better half's main course - flambeed ostrich steak which arrived on fire to our delight!

3. My main course - Sea Bream with perfumed rice and soy sauce, topped with grilled vegetables.

4. My dessert - the coconut tart with sorbet and sauce.

5. The up to date Treasures of the Seas menu for anyone considering it.

I'm really enjoying your trip report - and great to see someone else who rides POTC as many times as possible! Love your writing style! Did you notice if the colonial chicken curry and the Black Pearl burger was still on the Blue Lagoon menu - Blue Lagoon is my favourite restaurant but it is a bit too "fussy" for the offspring unless those two dishes are present.

Can't remember those two dishes to be honest. We never really considered the rest of the menu as we were dead set on having the TotS menu.

Agree about Pirates - you should wait and see how many times we rode it in the end! Two more days to go yet!

And yes - the food is definitely too complex for younger tastes. Some of the veg was even a bit 'exotic' for my tastes.

I Love your Blue Lagoon photos! Was the smoked Swordfish good? I love swordfish.... Shame you were ill after BTM and your large lunch.... Hope it didn't spoil too much of the day for you!

TotallyAngelic, I think they still do a chicken supreme in a similar sauce to the chicken curry, but I'm not sure. If you look on the Blue Lagoon review thread (In the restaurant reviews sticky) theres a photo of a fairly recent menu. :goodvibes

Bob xoxoxox

Smoked swordfish was very very nice. It really was smoked though and VERY dry - not a taste I usually enjoy, but it was gorgeous. The papaya was so juicy that I drunk out of it at the end of my starter! There was a good 50-100ml of juice in the empty skin! Paradise!

Day 4 - Tuesday 26th May 2009

07:30 - Morning! Today is the day of my birthday surprise at the Lucky Nugget Saloon! Let's see if I can get through the day without feeling sick!

08:30 - Back in Disney Village again! Ah I love this place. Even this early in the morning it's a great place to be.

09:30 - Back on Main Street USA! We head to our usual spot of Liberty Arcade.

10:00 - Grr! Phantom Manor shut until 11am again. Why?! I'd love to know a sensible reason. Anyway - we get a FastPass for BTM and head to Pirates.

12:00 - Right - I will not overeat. We head to the Cable Car Bake Shop and have a ham and cheese baguette. €5.00 which is great value for money by park standards. It's a big sandwich but it did have gherkin in it - not a problem for me but the kids may not be keen.

17:00 - After an afternoon full of rides we head to the Lucky Nugget Saloon for my birthday surprise. At 22, I wasn't the oldest there! €19 each which isn't bad but I was a tad disappointed at the lack of savoury buffet - it was a dessert buffet only. Even so, unlimited coke and some VERY nice cakes made it worthwhile. We also had about 10 characters come round EVERYONE and have photos (see below!).

18:20 - All done and dusted. NOT a good idea to go on any rides after the massive buffet so we head to Disney Village.

----

Rides visited: 13 (running total)

Pirates of the Caribbean: 5 (16)
Phantom Manor: 3 (10)
It's a Small World: 2 (5)
Peter Pan: 1 (1)
Buzz Lightyear: 1 (1)
Big Thunder Mountain: 1 (8)

----

Photos of my birthday surprise!

1. Manic grin!

2. Aww - Eeyore!

3. Aaargh!

4. My favourite doggy!

5. Some rodent - can't remember his name.

6. Erm... I think this guy is from... actually no. Help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter