You can't fix stupid

jagson

Mouseketeer
I made a reservation at VB for 7/29, I thought, for an overnight stay following a Key West vacation. I thought the 29th was Wednesday, so I walked in Wednesday, and up to the reservation desk. To my surprise, I was told I was a day too late. Apparently, Wednesday was the 30th, not the 29th. I was certain the desk clerk was wrong when she told me it was the 30th, again not the 29th; until I saw the date on the activities-for-the-day bulletin was dated Wedneday the 30th. Its something only a guy would do. The desk clerk didn't offer to change my reservation, and I didn't ask, knowing what I'd done was shear stupidity, and got what I deserved. Dumb question, but has anyone ever done this, or something similar, before?

I made a reservation at VB for 7/29, I thought, for an overnight stay following a Key West vacation. I thought the 29th was Wednesday, so I walked in Wednesday, and up to the reservation desk. To my surprise, I was told I was a day too late. Apparently, Wednesday was the 30th, not the 29th. I was certain the desk clerk was wrong when she told me it was the 30th, again not the 29th; until I saw the date on the activities-for-the-day bulletin was dated Wedneday the 30th. Its something only a guy would do. The desk clerk didn't offer to change my reservation, and I didn't ask, knowing what I'd done was shear stupidity, and got what I deserved. Dumb question, but has anyone ever done this, or something similar, before?
I know people who have shown up in Aruba for the wrong week and some who didn't formally reserve their owned week and showed up without a room for a week.

I know people who have shown up in Aruba for the wrong week and some who didn't formally reserve their owned week and showed up without a room for a week.
But I consider myself fairly intelligent, and certain the desk clerk didn't know what date it was. I even challenged her regarding the date. She just looked at me perplexed, and reiterated the correct date. I couldn't convince her differently. Again, you can't fix stupidity.

Yeah, nobody's perfect; but that stinks. I bet if you'd called Member Services from the hotel, they would have hooked you up with a 'one time exception' (guessing VB was not fully booked).. but then you would have to expose your mistake to another live person.

We kind of did just the opposite once. We were traveling late Saturday night and called to reserve a room at about 1 am for that night. When we got to the hotel an hour later they did not have a reservation for us. Finally they found it had been made for Sunday night.
I had asked if they still had rooms available "tonight" so I don't understand why they would not have booked Saturday. They actually gave us a hard time about canceling Sunday night past the cancellation deadline. We did not make a reservation for Sunday:rolleyes1

Yeah, nobody's perfect; but that stinks. I bet if you'd called Member Services from the hotel, they would have hooked you up with a 'one time exception' (guessing VB was not fully booked).. but then you would have to expose your mistake to another live person.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure I'd want to use the one time exception to save just one nights worth of points.

My DH booked us for the wrong night when we were college shopping with a son, we arrived on the check out date, so it has happened to us.

Something like this happened to a relative of mine on her wedding night. It was a big wedding that had lots of things changing, things being tweaked, things canceled, things rebooked, etc. The plans called for the newlyweds to go from the reception to a hotel for the night, then fly out the next morning for a 7-night cruise. Around 11:00 PM, the newlyweds bid farewell to everyone at the reception, get into their chauffeured limo and go to their hotel. The limo drops them off and leaves and the bride and groom walk into the lobby of the fancy hotel.

The bride turns to the groom and asks "Why are we at this hotel?''

The Groom: "We have the Bridal Suite reserved for tonight."

The Bride: "Not at this hotel. Remember, we changed hotel reservations about two months ago. Our hotel is across town."

The Groom: "Oops."

Now, keep in mind that the bride is wearing her wedding dress and the groom has on his fancy tuxedo. Neither has a wallet or purse, no money between them -- not even a cent -- and no charge cards. No ID. No driver license. And this is before anyone had cell phones. All of their travel items at the other hotel. And its midnight and its raining.

Fortunately, the hotel manager took pity on the couple and used his hotel's limo to drive them across town to the other hotel. So everything turned out OK. By the way, the couple celebrated their 21st wedding anniversary last month.

Kind of related...

I showed up for a friend's baby shower (at her parents' house) a day before the party. It wasn't subtle either - I had gift in hand, mom & dad answered the door... :eek:

They were doing all kinds of cleaning up for it. It was funny, but embarrassing too. The worst part was I had to plan another outfit for the real shower!

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again... another activity perhaps, but still....

I bought tickets to the Chicago Cubs and showed up the day before the date on the tickets, luckily the game was not sold out. I did have to pay for two sets of tickets to see one game though.

I travel for business. A LOT. One day I packed the suitcase and headed to the airport. Got about half way there and realized...trip was the next day! Good thing it wasn't the other way around.

I had a guy that worked for me who showed up at the airport without his suitcase!

Once at Dallas Love Field, we overheard the guy next to us being told he was at the wrong airport. He was scheduled to fly from DFW.

Once at Dallas Love Field, we overheard the guy next to us being told he was at the wrong airport. He was scheduled to fly from DFW.
I overheard someone trying to meet up with their driver at the Portland airport. He was in Oregon. The driver was in Maine.

Last November 2013 we arrived at my sister's TS in St. Pete's Beach, checked in and she walks us upstairs to a 1BR. I knew her TS was a 2Br on the bottom back corner. Her TS week was the following week - she gave us all the wrong info when we booked the air so she had to switch her week and all they had was a 1BR. :happytv:

Whatever - the hot tub worked and the sunsets were phenomenal.

this past June we were driving home from our 2 week say in Orlando (10 nights at WDW). We decided to just drive through since the weather was supposed to be severe at home the next day and DH and I are both storm spotters for our city.

DH calls the hotel we had reserved the night for in Louisiana - to cancel and he was told the reservation was for the previous night and since we were a no show without a cancellation - we were charged for it.

stuff happens :confused3

Not quite the same, but still no room at the inn. We once drove from Kentucky to Yellowstone National Park. The trip was going very well until we tried to check in at the Old faithful Inn very late one night. It was after 10 in the evening and were very tired after driving several hundred miles. Upon arrival, the clerk at the front desk couldn't find our reservation (3 nights). After much discussion and demanding to speak with the manager, our reservation was finally discovered! :cheer2:

BUT it was for June of the NEXT YEAR! All hotels in the park were full and we managed to find a room (for 3 nights, no less) in West Yellowstone. :cool1:

Have yet to live that one down ...

Happened to me coming back from Greece. Staying in London for 2 nights. Booked the night before and the night we showed up. They had canceled the reservation because we didn't show. Luckily they had rooms available, but cost more. Happens a lot.

My sister in law's office manager managed to confuse Sioux Falls, South Dakota with Sioux City, Iowa and booked her in the wrong city for a convention. My SIL was equally confused as she flew to the wrong city before figuring out she was not in the convention location.

And I ended up at the wrong airport to pick up my daughter when they switched her flight (diverted it to New York from Europe, and then to Reagan instead of BWI) during a bad storm. That's when I learned that the airline can not give you another passenger's info at the desk, even when you are a relative. The airline employee told us that if it were her daughter, she would check another area airport. So I said if it were you, would you check Reagan? And she said probably. So I drove to Reagan and scanned the arriving flights from NYC and quickly found my daughter!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter