you have got to be kidding me!

mjc2003

DIS Veteran
We are in at AKV 11/10-11/14, and BCV 11/14-11/20. We originally had waitlisted the last night, the 19th. Many months ago the waitlist came through but for some odd reason the night of the 14th was cancelled at BCV (our first night after switching resorts. So when the waitlist came through, it showed that we had a room from 11/10-11/14, and then 11/15-11/20. I called and said obviously this is a mistake. The MS CM was very nice, put me on hold and came back and said it was an MS error, she didn't know what happened but the night of the 14th was rebooked and now we had a continuous stay from the 14th-20.

Fast forward to today, I look on the member site and it shows a segmented stay at BCV, the night of the 14th as a standalone and then the 15-20th as a separate reservation (though in the same booking category). I called and was just told, "This is a new policy effective after you made the reservation. B/c new people are added to the reservation on the 15th (my inlaws are joining us), we now segment in case anybody wants to add the dining plan".

I said ok, but I was never notified of this---but the important question is, I don't have to check out after one day, do I?

I was told "Yes, you do. You need to check out and check back in". I pushed and said that's impossible, I was guaranteed a straight stay and that night was cancelled b/c of an MS error. I was told that has nothing to do with it, this policy change automatically segments any reservations where somebody is added to the party mid-stay.

I asked why I was never informed of this change since it was apparently RETROACTIVE to my old reservation? She said it was incumbent on me to go to the member site and be aware of policy changes....oh, really? Even if it's instituted AFTER my reservation is made?

She backed off and suggested I "might" not have to check out, but there are no guarantees.

I have no problems with a subtle policy change, but if it could affect my reservation why wasn't I notified? Shouldn't MS send an email to current reservations that are in place BEFORE the change? I'm surprised they can even change the rules of an existing reservation.

Just venting. I told the MS rep, who was not friendly or helpful, that it's not good customer service to not notify a customer of a policy change that could affect their relationship. I didn't like being told it was up to me to stay on top of policy changes.

I can't really speak to the CM and an attitude problem, of course.

The new reservation # thing though is new. And we did have to check in and check out. We had one night wait listed in the middle of our week and we had to check in and out twice -- that was back in April. But we didn't change rooms or have to move our stuff - just stop at the desk and get new keys. I really wouldn't make such a big deal out of it, it wasn't any big deal. It's highly unlikely you would have to move. Make sure you make a note of it when you are checking in - that you are actually staying through xx/xx/xxxx, sometimes the CMs don't notice beyond the first segment.

And it *may* get your cleaning schedule messed up. Or it may not.

They have changed policies more than once this year about how they handle reservation #s, travel package #s, wait lists, etc.

The whole "segment for the dining plan" thing is not even available to do anymore, although it was for a while.

Contact Member Satisfaction @:
dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

And let them know what's going on.

DVC is having a lot of problems using Disney's software. Have your reservations noted. I expect that check out/in is nothing more then a paper work issue. You should not have to change rooms but discuss your reservations with the Front Desk when you check in.

:earsboy: Bill

I can't really speak to the CM and an attitude problem, of course.

The new reservation # thing though is new. And we did have to check in and check out. We had one night wait listed in the middle of our week and we had to check in and out twice -- that was back in April. But we didn't change rooms or have to move our stuff - just stop at the desk and get new keys. I really wouldn't make such a big deal out of it, it wasn't any big deal. It's highly unlikely you would have to move. Make sure you make a note of it when you are checking in - that you are actually staying through xx/xx/xxxx, sometimes the CMs don't notice beyond the first segment.

And it *may* get your cleaning schedule messed up. Or it may not.

They have changed policies more than once this year about how they handle reservation #s, travel package #s, wait lists, etc.

The whole "segment for the dining plan" thing is not even available to do anymore, although it was for a while.

I just added two days to the beginning of our Dec trip at VWL and I didn't get a separate reservation number, the nights were just added to my original reservation. I don't understand why you'd have to check in and check out just because a waitlist came through for you.

I really wouldn't make such a big deal out of it, it wasn't any big deal.

Here's why it's an issue: We are leaving Tuesday early morning to go to see friends near Vero for the day. However, my in laws are arriving mid afternoon. I was going to leave them room keys, but now I cannot b/c we won't have new room keys yet. I was virtually assured by MS that I will have to check out and check back in. They won't issue me new room keys at 7 am when we are leaving, or maybe they will---but I don't know, and neither did she. So we might be forced to cancel our plans for the day.

I just added two days to the beginning of our Dec trip at VWL and I didn't get a separate reservation number, the nights were just added to my original reservation. I don't understand why you'd have to check in and check out just because a waitlist came through for you.

It's not b/c a waitlist came through, it's b/c we are adding people mid trip. The new rule, according to MS, is that if you have people join you mid-stay they automatically segment the reservation in case those people want to do the DDP.
And for the record, I never had a waitlist for the night in question. I had a reservation that was inexplicably canceled by MS when a different waitlist came through (for my last night). They quickly restored the reservation, but now it's listed as a separate reservation with a separate reservation number. And the reason for this, according to MS, is b/c people are joining us on the 2nd day.

Point being: If you have people join you mid-week be prepared to check out and check back in.

Are you doing the dining plan? We don't as a rule, so when I can, I just add the person's name to the whole reservation.

My guess is that they will be able to give you keys at 7AM! I hope so.

Soon as you check in at the Beach Club talk to a on duty manager about staying in the same room.

At best you will probably only have to come down and get the new keys.

Are you doing the dining plan? We don't as a rule, so when I can, I just add the person's name to the whole reservation.

My guess is that they will be able to give you keys at 7AM! I hope so.

I hope so too, Bobbi! No to the dining plan. Problem is, if we don't get this sorted out before hand we can't make the trip to Vero b/c we will have to wait for my in-laws, I can't have them sitting around for 3 hours after a long flight waiting for us.
I added the names after the fact as well. The reality is, their system can't handle somebody being added to a room and wanting a separate dining plan so they create separate reservations for each change to the # of persons in a room b/c I guess it's easier for them to sort out. In reality, it highlights yet another major flaw in their internal system.

Disney in general operates on such an antiquated system, and these types of issues merely highlight this reality.

Soon as you check in at the Beach Club talk to a on duty manager about staying in the same room.

At best you will probably only have to come down and get the new keys.

Sammie, I plan to do that. I just hope getting a new key can be done at 7 am, otherwise our plans for the day are out the window..

I once had relatives check into our OKW 2BR and get the keys before we arrived. So I don't think you need to stick around to give them the new room keys.
(If I wanted room charging, I would of needed to go to check-in and get new keys, though.)

It's not b/c a waitlist came through, it's b/c we are adding people mid trip. The new rule, according to MS, is that if you have people join you mid-stay they automatically segment the reservation in case those people want to do the DDP.
And for the record, I never had a waitlist for the night in question. I had a reservation that was inexplicably canceled by MS when a different waitlist came through (for my last night). They quickly restored the reservation, but now it's listed as a separate reservation with a separate reservation number. And the reason for this, according to MS, is b/c people are joining us on the 2nd day.

Point being: If you have people join you mid-week be prepared to check out and check back in.
Okay, then my question would be if you can add the people to day 1 and not have a difference between day 1 and day 2 people? Wouldn't that eliminate the need for two separate reservations?

You can get the new keys at 7 am. Most likely at 6 am. As to the wait list/separate reservations thing, that is how it was working earlier this year. Others had the same experience. Can't speak to what they are doing currently. As I said, they have changed policies more than once. I really can't even understand why they segmented the OP's reservation because of the new people/DDP reason, because they won't let you get the DDP for only a few nights now. They must have done that BEFORE they reverted back to no segmenting for the DDP, is the best I can figure.

Also, OP, you don't need to leave keys for the in-laws. If they are on the reservation, they can check in for themselves when they arrive. Just realized that while thinking about it.

Disney in general operates on such an antiquated system, and these types of issues merely highlight this reality.

Ironically, it's the NEW reservation system that caused all these issues. But I don't disagree with your general assessment.

You can get the new keys at 7 am. Most likely at 6 am. As to the wait list/separate reservations thing, that is how it was working earlier this year. Others had the same experience. Can't speak to what they are doing currently. As I said, they have changed policies more than once. I really can't even understand why they segmented the OP's reservation because of the new people/DDP reason, because they won't let you get the DDP for only a few nights now. They must have done that BEFORE they reverted back to no segmenting for the DDP, is the best I can figure.

I am confused, b/c the MS CM I spoke to said that this was a new change, instituted since I made the reservation and since the subsequent waitlist issue. She told me it was instituted over the summer.
Also, they didn't segment for the dining plan, it is for in case the new arrivals want to have the dining plan. It's not segmenting the stay, it's really segmenting the group. Now, why they have to make you check out and start all over anytime you have new guests is beyond me. But just to clarify, it's not about segmenting the dining plan.

My real issue with the whole thing is that my original reservation was for the 14-19th, with a waitlist for the 20th. When the 20th came through, for no explainable reason they canceled the night of the 14th. They agreed it was their error, and "rebooked" me the night of the 14th. Suddenly, it's the night of the 14th that's in question. I can't help but think there is a connection to their initial error, but she insisted it was purely coincidence; if they had not made this error they still would have gone back and segmented my reservation, simply on the basis that we have people joining us.

This means every reservation that includes people being added to the party will now encounter this "issue". I agree that ultimately it's not the end of the world, but there is a logistical component that is at least annoying--and there is also the possibility that we will actually have to switch rooms.

Also, OP, you don't need to leave keys for the in-laws. If they are on the reservation, they can check in for themselves when they arrive. Just realized that while thinking about it.

That is great to know.

Ironically, it's the NEW reservation system that caused all these issues. But I don't disagree with your general assessment.

So new is not necessarily any better. Their entire web team should be overhauled.

I can't explain any of the whys! :rotfl:

There have been MANY threads here on the boards about the new reservations system / segmenting your stay to add DDP / etc. for about the last year.

In short -- for a while, they let DVC members segment their plans to add the DDP for only part of the days. I think it went from having separate reservation #s for each part and a single travel number, to ... something different (I've read so many posts on this I can't keep track anymore of the entire history)!

It didn't work out for many people and caused a lot of problems, so they went back to no more having DDP for less than your entire stay.

I had not heard about segmenting for having new guests come - that may be something new - but the reason would NOT be so the DDP could be added for that part of the stay, because they don't allow that anymore unless you are moving to a different resort.

It is WAY confusing! And I know you're irritated because they messed up and your paying the price, but I think in the end -- it will be okay. Just have your relatives check in when they arrive and go and enjoy Vero Beach! Maybe stop at the front desk the night before or morning of and tell them you have additional guests arriving and make sure they don't foresee any issues due to your new reservation # for that day.

Have done this myself with guests arriving while I was in the park. They did not have any problems since thier name was on the resevation...

I had not heard about segmenting for having new guests come - that may be something new - but the reason would NOT be so the DDP could be added for that part of the stay, because they don't allow that anymore unless you are moving to a different resort..

The reason is so the new guests can add the dining plan for their portion of the stay. In other words, we are there the 14-20th. If we want the DDP, we have to have it the 14-20th. But new guests in the room are staying 15th-20th. So if THEY want to add the DDP, they have to from the 15th-20th.

This is how it was explained to me, though it makes little sense and seems like a lot of legwork that a real, streamlined internal system should be able to control without half the steps.

I have had reservations that looked separate on the DVC member website, but was assured it would be a continuous reservation. When we arrived, I made sure the front desk showed it was a continuous reservation (which they did) and we had no problems. No checking in/out.

I would call MS again and speak to another CM. Sounds like the one you talked with may not have the details straight since you can't do the segmented DDP any more. I would definitely want a 2nd opinion and elevate it to a manager if necessary.

The reason is so the new guests can add the dining plan for their portion of the stay. In other words, we are there the 14-20th. If we want the DDP, we have to have it the 14-20th. But new guests in the room are staying 15th-20th. So if THEY want to add the DDP, they have to from the 15th-20th.

This is how it was explained to me, though it makes little sense and seems like a lot of legwork that a real, streamlined internal system should be able to control without half the steps.

Since it makes no sense to you, why continue to believe the random CM?

I bet she was just to find the positive side for you. and came up with the dining plan explanation.

Because to me, having different people on a reservation DOES make it different, and to me having it be a separate reservation number makes absolute sense. Dining plan as the reason doesn't work for me, nor for you, but I bet it does help others.

During that brief period where they were allowing segmenting, it was splitting up trips that had no business being split apart. Bt this stay involves a change in personnel, so to speak. And IMO it's a righteous split, not a forced one like they were allowing so briefly.

I bet if you called again and out your relatives on the reservation for the 14th, you would stand a strong chance of having the numbers reunite.

And I would also try to remember that MS CMs aren't the ones behind the counters at resorts and don't necessarily have working, perfect, knowledge of what it's like there. Snce you are in the room on the 14th, I think you would stand a strong chance of being able to keep that room. Tell the at checkin about the next reservation, send someone to the front desk early in the morning of the 15th to remind them, and I just can't see a reason why they would make more work for themselves or housekeeping by assigning you a different room.

And yes, if people are on the reservation, they can pick up keys.

I thought DVC eliminated segmented reservations and now require the dining plan for everyone for the length of stay.

I just this week added my grandparents to two nights of our upcoming stay and it's the same reservation number -- no segmenting.

Under the dining plan dvcmember.com says: "Every Guest in the room must purchase the Disney Dining Plan for the duration of the reserved stay." (http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/member/memberDetail?id=MemberDisneyDiningPlanLandingPage)

These "policies" seem to come and go and I don't see any notice of a change on dvcmember.com. The lack of communication and consistency from MS is very frustrating from my perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter