You helped us decide, thanks! New question- where in SSR to request?

AshleyMWC

DIS Veteran
We are celebrating our Disneymoon October 12-25, and our very first stay as DVC members, and we are having trouble deciding where to stay. We own at BWV, and we would love to stay there for the whole 2 weeks, but that isn't looking likely. We JUST closed a couple weeks ago, so since that was well after the 11 month booking window, we are waitlisted for one day- one day RIGHT in the middle of our vacation- the 18th! So, we are thinking of doing a split stay- first week (12-18) at either SSR or AKL, and the remaining 6 nights at BWV (which we are not waitlisted for at all :cool1:

So, what do you think, which one should we choose? I have always wanted to stay at AKL, but I am concerned about it being so far away from everything. DF has stayed there and he loved it, but said he got annoyed after a while at being so far away and taking such long bus rides. We love the atmpsohere at AKL and the restaurants for sure, so that is not an issue! as for SSR, we have never stayed there, but it looks very nice, adn some friends of ours love it. My concern there is that it is so spread out. We do like the decor there also, and love having the option of DTD and all the stores and restaurants right at our back door. Plus, we figured we could take the resort buses from DTD also, and that would open up evern more food options for us.

Any thoughts or opinions for our Disneymoon??

Oh, p.s., we would LOVE to stay at BLT that week, but we know there is no way we will get in there since we can't book until March 12th :sad2:

I would go with AKV all the way! I find the theme very romantic and after your wedding you may just want to relax at the hotel for a few days. Have a nice dinner at Jiko and Boma. When you are done relaxing you can go to AK right next door.

In fact I'm sending my nephew to AKV for his honeymoon in October as well.

We own at SSR and LOVE it! I know SSR gets alot of bad press but it's a beautiful resort! There is a spa, which is wonderful and they do couples massages, there is a discount for DVC members and there is also a carriage ride available in the evenings. SSR is a short walk to DTD as well.

you might be able to get BLT.

now some might like because of MNSSHP - but Epcot with the food/wine festavial is where everyone will want to be.

Dec is definitely the month - that I think most are trying for - can't wait!

you might be able to get BLT.

now some might like because of MNSSHP - but Epcot with the food/wine festavial is where everyone will want to be.

Dec is definitely the month - that I think most are trying for - can't wait!

The prospect of that almost seems too much to hope for, so I am trying not to get my hopes up! That would be soooo ideal though!!!!

I vote SSR. If you have already stayed at AKV then you should try SSR. Most people that are apprehensive about staying at SSR end up loving it after thier visit. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Dennis-

I vote for SSR. I think the resort is beautiful and nothing less than wonderful. I know on these boards from time to time it takes some bad reviews but honestly most of us can find fault with anything if you look hard enough.

AKV is beautiful and we own there as well but I agree it is so removed from everything. Plus I am not a person who likes being in 'dark' spaces. When I am in Florida I want to feel like I am in a bright and sunny location and AKV does not provide that feel (and honestly should not due to the perfect theming Disney uses).

Well that is just my opinion...since you asked!:thumbsup2

My vote goes to SSR

Having been at SSR in Dec 08 and AKL in Jan 09 - SSR is lighter, more romantic in my view, and easier to get to parks and other resorts. Having DTD so close was nice too. The pool by Congress Park has a lovely jacuzzi that was quiet and not busy in the evenings when we were there - tres romantic!!

Biased alert! AKV! So romantic! Ill be there for my Disneymoon in 2010. :thumbsup2
P.s. It is not that far away. Plus you'll want to be a little secluded for your honeymoon! ;)

Thanks for everyone's advice!! I think we are going to go for SSR, assuming that we can't get in at BLT (which is my assumption). I have never stayed at AKL, but DF has, and while he liked it, I think he wants to try something new for the honeymoon. We will probably end up spending a couple evenings at AKL anyway, eating and enjoying their awesome lounge, so I will get my fix there.

So, my next question, for those of you SSR vets, is there anywhere in particular we should request to be? I know this always seems like a hot topic, but I have never paid attention since we have never stayed there. We are having some breakfast foods, drinks, and snacks delivered through Garden Grocer, so being super close to food in the mornings isn't a big deal. We will probably spend a decent amount of time at DTD shopping/eating/cathing resort buses, so that is soemthing I would like to factor into our location also.

Thanks as always everyone :thumbsup2

This is one resort where I think that everyone has a favorite for different reasons.

My vote for a SSR location would be Congress Park. We stayed there in January, room 2230. It was a second floor, 1 BR end unit with a beautiful water/DTD view. It was easy walking to DTD and the main buildings were not far away. The grounds of the whole resort are lovely, but we felt like we were walking through a little garden when we would walk back from DTD. The quiet pool and spa are on the water side, so you have a great view from there as well.

Congratulations and enjoy wherever you choose to stay!

for being close to DD - definitely agree with rkwier - Congress Park - you can walk over to DD in around 5 to 10 minutes. definitely faster than driving over and trying to park the car (especially the parking part)

now if you want the commuity hall (for activities) or main pool - then Grand Stand - it also happens to be the first bus stop.

My vote goes to SSR

Having been at SSR in Dec 08 and AKL in Jan 09 - SSR is lighter, more romantic in my view, and easier to get to parks and other resorts. Having DTD so close was nice too. The pool by Congress Park has a lovely jacuzzi that was quiet and not busy in the evenings when we were there - tres romantic!!

Very good point about the Congress Park hot tub. It is quiet and the view is gorgeous! SSR has 5 hot tubs total and we often have 1 to ourselves.

We stayed at AKV Jambo for Christmas and the jacuzzi was so full we had to wait for people to get out. There are 2 in the main pool area. I believe Kidani will have 1 also.

For a Disneymoon, I would go with SSR and request Congress Park. It is lovely to walk around. Dh and I take morning walks whenever we are there.
The proximity to DTD and all the restaurants and entertainment is nice also. We like walking there and back also. At night, you have a really nice stroll along the lake.

Thanks again everyone, your suggestions have been awesome! I am suddenly really excited about the prospect of staying at SSR!! I had never been able to get excited about it before, but after looking at the pics and hearing everyone's good reviews, it just seems so perfect for us- especially for the first week of the Honeymoon when I will probably still be exhausted! Congress Park looks like a perfect location for us, so I will be sure to request it. :thumbsup2

My Wife and I along with my Brother and Sister-in-Law just got back from a week stay at SSR in a 2 bedroom dedicated unit. We took them with our Developers points...we stayed in the "Springs Section" near the pool and Main Lobby... It was one of the best trips we have had.. We own Animal Kingdom and are going in OCT. But SSR was exceptional with big beautiful rooms, excellent Cast Member service! and the bus service was great as well
I would highly recommend it!!!

We own at SSR and LOVE it! I know SSR gets alot of bad press but it's a beautiful resort! There is a spa, which is wonderful and they do couples massages, there is a discount for DVC members and there is also a carriage ride available in the evenings. SSR is a short walk to DTD as well.

We love SSR as well. DH and I also like the carousel building::yes::. We rent a car so it does not matter regarding the bus system. It is quiet and love that it is close the the entrance and exit to the grounds. pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter