Young Solo Traveler

MishyMouse21799

A girl who loves the Mouse
Hi everyone,

My friends and I are planning a WDW trip after we graduate this summer. Most can only budget for 4 days, but I was thinking about staying the whole week.

Ive been to Disney with my family before, but never on my own. I was wondering what people's opinions were about an 18yo girl doing Disney by herself for 3 days. Is it safe, can I have fun and is it worth it?

Thanks in advance!

Soon as I saw this I had to comment. I'm doing Disney with my friend too. (We're early 20s) If you feel comfortable, then you shouldn't have an issue. Are you planning on staying at Disney (I think that'd be the safest option in my opinion). Its all about your personal comfort.

Yea, we are doing Beach Club. I'm not that worried when we are all there, but if I'm in Epcot late or walking around the Boardwalk at night, do you think I'll have any trouble?

Yea, we are doing Beach Club. I'm not that worried when we are all there, but if I'm in Epcot late or walking around the Boardwalk at night, do you think I'll have any trouble?

I wouldn't necessarily say you'd have trouble, just take normal precaution. Like if you were at home and at the movies later, would it be more relaxed?
If you're this concerned I think I'd keep with your group.

Is it safe? Probably safer than most places you would otherwise travel by yourself. Many 18-year old cast members navigate to, from, and through the property every day too without incident. In particular, Epcot and the Boardwalk will have other people strolling about even at closing time and security has a good presence. It's going to be in the crowded summertime.

Can you have fun? If you're comfortable having fun on your own in general, you can do it at WDW. I know a few people who would be miserable without company, but for many it's a treat to experience the resort untethered to others -- since you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.

Is it worth it? A complex question which depends on how much you plan to spend during your trip extension. I probably couldn't have afforded WDW as a broke college student unless my parents were subsidizing. Today, I could afford the Beach Club by myself -- though I would probably transfer to the Swan/Dolphin for the three days and save a few hundred dollars without giving up a great hotel location. Or maybe drop down to another on-site hotel. Whether the trip extension is worth it overall depends on (1) how much do you like Disney World, (2) how comfortable are you with being solo, (3) does it fit in your budget, and (4) what other experiences are you giving up in order to do this (e.g., in time or money)?

I know a few people who would be miserable without company, but for many it's a treat to experience the resort untethered to others -- since you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.

I'm not sure where I fall in that equation. Lol. Before kids, it was always just my wife and I at Disney and on one of our longer trips (8 days) we felt somewhat "bored" by the end. However, at the time we were VERY fast paced and crammed ride after ride after ride and did very little shows. When we'd ridden every e-ticket ride for the 6th time it was starting to get old.

I don't think I'd want to go back to just the two of us as I enjoy having family or friends with us. However, the thought of doing it completely solo is interesting (but my wife would hate that I was there and she was not. Haha.) I don't know what scenario would cause me to be in the area without her anyway, though, so it won't likely ever happen.

I don't think you'll have any trouble walking around alone at night. I'm 17 and often find myself wandering around late at Epcot and the boardwalk :) I think you'll be perfectly safe I hope you have a wonderful trip. I'm also planning on taking my friends after I graduate

Be careful sharing with people you do not know on these forums information like where you are staying, the dates of your trip, and that you'll be alone. It's better to be a little more general when asking for solo advice. I'm MUCH older than you, and always tack on a few solo days to my trips to Disney with my sisters. Enjoy your solo time, but remember to be safe even inside the "Disney bubble".

I am old as dirt now - but I am not one who thinks that 18 year olds are still children. When I was 18 I was wandering alone around the French Quarter in New Orleans.

I do not think that you are going to be more of a target because you are young. I think some young people are targets because they are not paying attention to what is going on around them. But the very fact that you are asking this question tells me that you have enough common sense not to place yourself in a bad situation.

I think you will be very safe. But as to the "will I have fun" that really depends on you. I have always been able to have fun on my own - but not everyone can. And that's okay.

Disney is very safe. Just use your brain and be street smart. You'll be fun. I've gone a few times solo in my early 20s and it is worth every second.

As long as you pay attention to your surroundings (true of anywhere you are) you'll be fine. Disney is probably the safest place to go solo, but even so, be aware! I'm in my 30's, but look 18 or younger, and I've never felt unsafe or nervous. You'll have fun :)

If you were my niece or a daughter, I'd suggest a split stay by moving to POP Century for those 3 nights on your own. I love the Boardwalk area but would argue its got a more singles, bar vibe later in the evening and it isn't for everyone solo. Enjoy the close walk & boat to Epcot with your friends the first few days but then save the $ and get immersed in the family friendly atmosphere of POP or another Value. At POP you'll walk with families to and from the resort bus stop. The hundreds of dollars you may save can be tucked away for next year's WDW trip! Check out the POP or an All Stars resort thread to get a sense of whether it is something you would be happy with. Since you'll likely be in the parks on your days alone, the room is really a clean, safe place to sleep & get cleaned up in the morning. Something to think about.

While not young, I am female and do WDW solo at least once a year and always stay in the Epcot resorts for at least 3 or 4 days during split stays. I've never had any problems walking around Epcot solo at night and then walking back to the resort, nor have I had a problems walking around Boardwalk at night. The only time I'm the slightest bit uncomfortable is the walk from HS to the Epcot resorts at night, then I tend to ride the boat even though it takes longer. I do the walk in the early mornings and before dark all the time and do it even after park close when my adult son is with me. As others have said, just be aware and you will be fine. As far as can you have fun, if you have fun at other places solo, you will at WDW. I actually tend to enjoy my solo trips a little more than my trips with my son just because I can be on my own schedule.

I'm a woman who travels solo all the time. I find that there's always a family or people walking around all times of the day and night so I try to blend in so I don't look like I'm by myself. I also feel that hotels that open to an inside carpeted hallway as opposed to the outside feels safer to me so it looks like you've got that going for you.

I'm a woman who travels solo all the time. I find that there's always a family or people walking around all times of the day and night so I try to blend in so I don't look like I'm by myself. I also feel that hotels that open to an inside carpeted hallway as opposed to the outside feels safer to me so it looks like you've got that going for you.

It's funny, I'm the opposite. Indoor hallways completely creep me out.

OP, like others have said, just be sensible and be aware of your surroundings. Don't be on your phone as you're walking or have your headphones in. If you feel uncomfortable ask a family if it's ok to walk with them or ask a security guard. If someone makes you feel uncomfortable, even if you're not sure they mean to, just go to the nearest attraction or CM and they will help you out.

Going to Disney is great on your own. You get to ride what you want, eat where and when you want, do the things you never normally get to do. I'm sure you will have a blast!

I travel to disney solo regularly....and I find disney one of the safest places to be. I've been in epcot quite late alone, walked from the bus to my room alone (value resort), and i never felt unsafe. As long as your comfortable, aware of your surroundings, and smart, you'll be fine.

I'd walk from EPCOT back to BC after EPCOT closes and not have a passing thought about my safety and being solo. I would not do the walk late at night between HS and EPCOT - take the boat. But - morning, mid-day, early evening before its dark - that's fine.

Now - I'm alot older than you - but I don't like just casually strolling around the Boardwalk to see the sites late at night solo - it can give me the creeps. So - once it starts to thin out later in the evening (depends on time of year what that means) - passing a drunk group who might try to start chatting with me can be uncomfortable. So - I avoid it LATE after dark.

The difference is this - walking between EP and BC with purpose because you are headed back to your resort late - I'd do that. Just kinda hanging out seeing the sites late at BW is more likely to attract unwanted attention - especially as a younger woman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter