Your Disney story... in your words...

Rachandgarry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I was just trying to reply to another post, and found myself including waaaay too much background info than was necessary (how unusual for me to talk to much :rolleyes1 :lmao:) and deleted it all. I found myself quite sad deleting it, because it had made me happy re-living all those memories and sharing them.

So, I thought I would indulge myself and start a thread so I can share those memories, and hopefully if you'll all join in with me, feel the warm Disney glow from your stories too! There's no format, no structure, just whatever you want to say about Disney.

So.... we are family of 3, live in Bristol, UK and adore WDW and all things Disney. There's me -Rachel, 36, my DH Garry also 36, and our DS Matthew, now 5 1/2. I've been to WDW a bunch of times, both my parents worked for an airline and they first took me to WDW when I was 7 - Epcot had only been open a few months, I can barely remember that park, just the main entrance we drove through. I very clearly remember the MK and Bay Lake, the Polynesian and Contemporary - I was absolutely fixated by them. I have no idea where we stayed - it would have been in a motel on the 192 I imagine. I grew up not riding any fast rides, as my parents didn't like them - even things like Big Thunder and Splash. My favourite thing back then was the Country Bear Jamboree; the story goes that after the show I ran down to the front to ask if the bear wanted to come to my house for tea. :rotfl2:

We went back a couple of times during my childhood, it sounds showy-offy now but the economy was different back then. Our flights were always free because of their jobs, and many airline staff tend to have villas in various countries because it is so easy for them to get there cheaply each time. We didn't have anywhere near that much money but we did have some fantastic holidays in friends' villas!

I remember going back when in 1992 when I was 16, we have a video of it and to watch it, I find it so odd because so much has changed, yet strangely comforting because so much hasn't. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Nikki Bird, on the 192, and some of our video was of the gift shops around it - nothing looks any different. It brings it home to me that this thing I crave day and night, this mecca (Orlando) - exists, even when I'm not there. :rotfl:

Video cameras weren't as common then, and we borrowed my Uncle's. On our video you can hear my Dad saying "slowly Rachel, just pan round slowly..." followed by his constant commentary about random things and a fully audible conversation with my Mum :rotfl2:. Our suitcases look so ancient, and I couldn't fit into any of the clothes now, lol - in fact I think if you actually sewed them all together they still wouldn't go round me! :lmao:

Sadly, my mum died in 1995, very young, from cancer. She was my best friend, and shared my intense love of Disney. In my heart, she was inextricably linked to WDW and one without the other seemed wrong.

After a couple of years, I went in to the travel industry myself and decided to go back. I went in 1997, and in 1998 I spent 6 months out there staying with a friend so had an AP and went to the parks like every other day - popped to the Beach Club for an ice-cream, met friends for dinner at the Poly etc. It was total bliss! I missed it greatly, but managed to go back 3 times in 2000, twice in 2001, and so on. We went with DH's whole family in 2004 - which was a complete and unrivalled disaster. Too many cooks and all that. Never, ever again. I could happily vacation with his parents, or his brother and family, but not all of them together. There are still wounds that haven't healed completely from that trip, but then I do hold on to things a bit too long sometimes lol.

DH and I had a rough year in 2005, we were told we would never be able to have children other than by IVF or adoption. We decided that we would let nature take its course, and promptly invested in lots of hi-tech stuff for our house, booked lots of swanky holidays etc.... embraced the childless life shall we say :rotfl2:! One of these holidays, was in December 2005 - we did a road trip where we flew in to Sanford, drove up through Georgia, South Carolina, then North Carolina, up to Nashville, and Dollywood, then back south through Chattanooga, then Alabama and back down to Florida for a week at Disney, leaving there on 23rd December. It was an amazing trip but a couple of days in to the Orlando part, I was feeling really rough. We thought it was motion sickness from the rides but I had never ever had this problem before, perhaps I was coming down with flu or something, or I was just tired. Even on the flight home I was really poorly. To cut a very long story short, it turns out that despite numerous medical tests etc that I was actually already 3 months pregnant, lol! That's why I'd been feeling so rough! :lovestruc So, DS has kind of been to WDW - just stowed away! :lmao:

We haven't been back since then - partly finances but partly also because DS has had a lot of medical problems.

Last year we went on our first family Disney holiday to Disneyland Paris - it was so magical! He absolutely adores the place - the characters, the rides, everything about it. He's totally my son hehehe!

We went to DLP again earlier this month, and had an ok time, but it was really really cold so a lot of rides were broken down and there were no characters out, so it wasn't quite the trip we'd expected.

We are off to DLP again for June half term, DH's parents are coming with us this time which is nice, they will get to enjoy DS's reactions!

We are really hoping to take DS next Easter, to WDW. He seems ready, and I don't want to leave it too long so the magic of the characters goes. We could do with it being the following year - but a) he'd been older than I'd like for his first trip and b) I can't wait that long :rotfl2:. We can't afford to go, but I just don't care - DS is a miracle baby for us, and I'd rather take out a loan and capture this time in his life, than miss it. My mum's untimely death taught me that life often is too short - and you never know what is around the corner - so (within reason) do what you want now because no-one's dying wish was ever "I wish I'd saved more..." or "I wish I'd done more housework..." Making happy memories is what life is all about for me.

Oops, I've gone on for far too long! I bet no-one even reads this now :rotfl2: and I'll look like a real Billy No-Mates! Note to self: even if no-one does read it, it has been very therapeutic writing it down.

:hug: to all!

Rachel x

Well Rachel, I read it all.:goodvibes

I agree with you about not knowing what life has in store for you. I am going to work through my bucket list now! ;)

How wonderful that you have your son, Matthew. I loved your Disney story and it's clear that it plays a big part in your life.

Rachel what an amazing story, I got a little teary eyed! I'll do mine now. :)

Thanks for sharing that Rachel, it is truly moving :hug: I read your DLP PTR and catching up on your TR, and I can see how much love you have for your wonderful little boy - here's to wishing you lots of magical disney trips in the future! :goodvibes I'll try and write mine soon! :thumbsup2

Great story Rachel. :thumbsup2 Here's ours:

I first got interested in Walt Disney World back in the early 90's. Back then the internet was nowhere near as big as it is now so I got all my information from holiday brochures and the TV holiday shows like Holiday and Wish You Were Here and I loved seeing all the snippets of the rides, parades and hotels - one in particular stood out for me, which was the Contemporary Resort with the monorail running right through the inside - I'd never seen anything like it before and decided that I would love to stay there.

In 1992 I turned 21 and inherited some money that had been left in trust for me when my Nan died several years before. I decided that I would use that money to travel to Florida and, as the single room supplement was going to be about as much as the holiday itself, my Dad decided to come with me to bring the cost down to something manageable. My Mum was still alive at that time and she decided to book a holiday to Scotland on her own - Scotland became her Florida and she would holiday there at least once, and often twice, a year after that. I carried on finding out as much as I could about WDW, bought a copy of Birnbaums Official Guide to WDW, and planned out an itinerary.

One of the silly things I remember from that first trip is from the trip down to the airport - as we pulled in to Gatwick Airport in the cab we heard over the cab drivers radio that my Mum had just been picked up from our house to go on her trip.

We arrived in Florida and didn't hire a car on that trip so we got a transfer to the hotel - I don't remember going through the arch, I don't remember going through the MK toll booths but I clearly remember going round a corner and there it was in front of us - the Contemporary Resort hotel looking just like it did on the TV and in the brochures (but why wouldn't it? :confused3). That was when it finally hit me that we were really there.

We went to check-in and initially we were told that the hotel was overbooked and that we would have to spend the night across the road in the Grand Floridian - of course now that would seem like a great offer but at the time I didn't know much about the GF and I was disgusted that we had come all this way and they didn't have a room for us! The CM said he would see what he could do for us and agreed to let us make a phone call to my Mum in the UK while we waited so we were shown up to what was then the Top of The World (now the California Grill). From there we went and sat on the 4th floor concourse to have a drink and I have my other vivid memory of the monorail rumbling over our heads for the first time. It actually turned out that they weren't overbooked at all and they were just having to get the presents that my Mum had organised for us into our room. :goodvibes

I don't really have any other particularly special memories from that trip but I knew we wanted to go back and in fact we booked for all three of us to go back the following year. For various reasons none of us could really afford to go so that trip ended up being cancelled and it would be 15 years before we would return.

My Mum died in 2004 and Dad and I took a few holidays to Canada, which had been recommended to us by Dad's brother. Then in 2006 I discovered Disney podcasts, the Disboards and trip reports. Listening to the podcasts and reading trip reports re-ignited my interest in WDW and so in 2007 we returned to the Contemporary and in 2008, while staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge we bought DVC points ensuring that we would be back regularly.

In 2010 we discovered the joys of Disney cruising while going round the Baltic on the Disney Magic and that has lead to us going on the maiden voyage of the Disney Fantasy in 5 weeks, and considering a transAtlantic cruise on the Magic next year.

Looks like I've gone on far too long as well :blush: but I hope somebody can pick something interesting out of all that waffle. :)

Well Rachel, I read it all.:goodvibes

I agree with you about not knowing what life has in store for you. I am going to work through my bucket list now! ;)

How wonderful that you have your son, Matthew. I loved your Disney story and it's clear that it plays a big part in your life.

Yayyy!!! I have readers! I'm not a complete loser, woo hooo!! :banana:

Thank you :hug:

Rachel what an amazing story, I got a little teary eyed! I'll do mine now. :)

Aww, thank you! :lovestruc Look forward to reading yours!

Thanks for sharing that Rachel, it is truly moving :hug: I read your DLP PTR and catching up on your TR, and I can see how much love you have for your wonderful little boy - here's to wishing you lots of magical disney trips in the future! :goodvibes I'll try and write mine soon! :thumbsup2

Thanks Sarah, poor you reading all my reports, lol - I really do waffle sometimes! At least I do when I'm talking about DS or Disney! :rotfl: I'd love to read yours if you do write it! Its so interesting to see how people come to the place we're all at now; in love with the Mouse!

I first got interested in Walt Disney World back in the early 90's. Back then the internet was nowhere near as big as it is now so I got all my information from holiday brochures and the TV holiday shows like Holiday and Wish You Were Here and I loved seeing all the snippets of the rides, parades and hotels - one in particular stood out for me, which was the Contemporary Resort with the monorail running right through the inside - I'd never seen anything like it before and decided that I would love to stay there.

In 1992 I turned 21 and inherited some money that had been left in trust for me when my Nan died several years before. I decided that I would use that money to travel to Florida and, as the single room supplement was going to be about as much as the holiday itself, my Dad decided to come with me to bring the cost down to something manageable. My Mum was still alive at that time and she decided to book a holiday to Scotland on her own - Scotland became her Florida and she would holiday there at least once, and often twice, a year after that. I carried on finding out as much as I could about WDW, bought a copy of Birnbaums Official Guide to WDW, and planned out an itinerary.

One of the silly things I remember from that first trip is from the trip down to the airport - as we pulled in to Gatwick Airport in the cab we heard over the cab drivers radio that my Mum had just been picked up from our house to go on her trip.

We arrived in Florida and didn't hire a car on that trip so we got a transfer to the hotel - I don't remember going through the arch, I don't remember going through the MK toll booths but I clearly remember going round a corner and there it was in front of us - the Contemporary Resort hotel looking just like it did on the TV and in the brochures (but why wouldn't it? :confused3). That was when it finally hit me that we were really there.

We went to check-in and initially we were told that the hotel was overbooked and that we would have to spend the night across the road in the Grand Floridian - of course now that would seem like a great offer but at the time I didn't know much about the GF and I was disgusted that we had come all this way and they didn't have a room for us! The CM said he would see what he could do for us and agreed to let us make a phone call to my Mum in the UK while we waited so we were shown up to what was then the Top of The World (now the California Grill). From there we went and sat on the 4th floor concourse to have a drink and I have my other vivid memory of the monorail rumbling over our heads for the first time. It actually turned out that they weren't overbooked at all and they were just having to get the presents that my Mum had organised for us into our room. :goodvibes

I don't really have any other particularly special memories from that trip but I knew we wanted to go back and in fact we booked for all three of us to go back the following year. For various reasons none of us could really afford to go so that trip ended up being cancelled and it would be 15 years before we would return.

My Mum died in 2004 and Dad and I took a few holidays to Canada, which had been recommended to us by Dad's brother. Then in 2006 I discovered Disney podcasts, the Disboards and trip reports. Listening to the podcasts and reading trip reports re-ignited my interest in WDW and so in 2007 we returned to the Contemporary and in 2008, while staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge we bought DVC points ensuring that we would be back regularly.

In 2010 we discovered the joys of Disney cruising while going round the Baltic on the Disney Magic and that has lead to us going on the maiden voyage of the Disney Fantasy in 5 weeks, and considering a transAtlantic cruise on the Magic next year.

Looks like I've gone on far too long as well :blush: but I hope somebody can pick something interesting out of all that waffle. :)

Wow, Wickesy - that is an amazing story. I love how the Contemporary made you wait but it was for a nice reason! Talking about seeing it on TV, you reminded me of the Virgin Holidays promotion videos that used to be about - do you remember them? I was entranced by them, I think I wore mine out it was just on repeat play all the time :lmao:

How wonderful for you discovering cruising; it looks fantastic. Hope you have a most magnificent maiden voyage (hehe I didn't even mean for those words all to start with 'm' lol). What itinerary does this maiden voyage do?

:grouphug:

Rachel x

My Disney story isn't that exciting...

My grandparents have been going to Orlando since 1990 and would go every other year. They took my mum, dad, my brother, sister and me in 2000 because they thought we'd enjoy it (we always loved watching their vacation videos!)... and from then we were all hooked!

I'm glad I've converted Tom to be a Disney-nut and I am really excited to visit with Tom, just the 2 of us in October... And our first stay on site too!

Steffi xx

My Disney story isn't that exciting...

My grandparents have been going to Orlando since 1990 and would go every other year. They took my mum, dad, my brother, sister and me in 2000 because they thought we'd enjoy it (we always loved watching their vacation videos!)... and from then we were all hooked!

I'm glad I've converted Tom to be a Disney-nut and I am really excited to visit with Tom, just the 2 of us in October... And our first stay on site too!

Steffi xx

I think its very exciting! How lovely to be going on your own for the first time...and staying on-site first time! :cloud9: So magical; its like a child's first time at WDW. Hope you enjoy it so much :yay:

Absolutely lovely stories from both of you .... thanks so much for sharing :hug:

Thank you for reading! :lovestruc

Great story - how funny that you were miffed at the idea of being transferred to the GF for the night.:rotfl:

I haven't been to WDW yet, so mine is a sort of back-story...

DH and I went on a trip to California in 1997 before we had kids. I wanted to visit Disneyland and he wanted to go to Las Vegas. We did both! Believe it or not, we didn't plan ANYTHING.:scared1: We bought our 5 day Disney tickets in the hotel lobby and then picked up a map in the Park on our first day. God knows how much stufff we missed.:rotfl: Going through the turnstiles, I suddenly realised being there made me feel happy, relaxed and young-at-heart - I was hooked.

It would be a further 7 years before I booked another Disney trip, this time to DLP. My first DD had just turned 5 and my second daughter was 11 months old. We took MIL with us and had a great time. It was when they had Magic Unlimited which meant you could stay on the ride if it wasn't busy. The parks were empty in January! I decided that I would return with the youngest when she turned 5.

Fast forward another 4 years and my second daughter was fast approaching her 5th birthday and we had DD number 3 who was 15 months old. I had found the DIS by then and after reading a lot of trippies, I took the plunge and booked the Pink Palace. It was fantastic! I have such happy memories of that trip: DD (5) being amazed by a 'real' castle; the girls collecting autographs in the hotel lobby in their socks; listening to the piped music in the Parks after dark from my bedroom window...:cloud9:

I promised the girls that we would have another Disney holiday when the youngest turned 5. And here we are. The youngest turns 5 on October 1st (sharing her birthday with WDW!) and 28 days after this we will be in a 'whole new world'.:goodvibes

As soon as you've been to WDW you'll have another wonderful chapter to your Disney story. :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Here's my dull and boring story....

I've been a big Disney fan since I was little. Sleeping Beauty was probably the first film I had on Video Tape. Ever since I saw that film I was hooked. My Mum and Nan always brought me Disney videos because it was a given that I would love them.

My fave Disney film is the Little Mermaid and I would watch it that often that the video tape nearly wore out. :sad2:

My other film 'love' at a young age was Jaws (I know not Disney but it does have a connection...honest!). My family never took holidays abroad, we always went to Devon, Cornwall or Yarmouth.

I always remember Florida being advertised on TV. I remember seeing the Disney Castle and the Jaws ride, I always wished my parents would take us - sadly it never happened.

I joined the boy scouts (yes, I am aware of my gender :laughing:) and we did a camping trip in Paris. We camped in Disney's Davy Crockett Ranch, it wasn't quite Florida but it was Disney.

All I remember from that trip was crying on BTM and meeting the Walrus from Alice in Wonderland. Needless to say thanks to weeks in Paris thanks to College I visited DLP a few more times, loving Disney more and more each time.

Anyway in 2006 I met DH, we both worked in the same supermarket. James had been to Florida many many many times. We finally got together in April 2008. He took me to DLP in the October of that year :lovestruc

We hadn't been in DLP long and the first thing I wanted to see was the castle. We reached the castle and I stood gawking at it. I turned round to say something to DH and there he was on one knee. He had this whole speech prepared and asked me to marry him. :love::cloud9: There was a small crowd on the bride and they were all clapping, it was wonderful.

In 2010 I finally made it to Florida. I saw the castle and I rode Jaws (rip :sad1:). I knew I was going to love WDW. It was amazing. One night we rode the monorail and spotted the Wedding Pavillion. The crazy idea of getting married in WDW formed and in October 2011, after convincing my parents to leave the UK, we were married in Disney.

It was wonderful - my parents were there and I married James. If I could do it all over again I would.

Were going again in Sept to carry on our Disney story, it will be our last trip for a while so we'll definately make the most of it...

sorry to bore y'all... :rotfl:

Well my Disney story goes like this...

I have been a Disney fan for as long as I remember, which is a LONG time! My parents were not able to afford to take me to Disney when I was young and said even if they had the money that we would never have gone there!:scared1: Shock horror! So by the time I was able to afford to go I was in my teens and my boyfriend at the time also had no interest what so ever in Disney...Shock horror again!!! Now we stayed together for 14 years and eventually something had to give and I got rid of the Disney hating boyfriend and found myself a Disney Loving husband:lovestruc..Hooray at last!! We have been to Disney lots now and I can’t see this ever changing thankfully. We have travelled to lots of other places but we both agree that there is nowhere else we would rather be (for a holiday anyway) other than WDW. We have stayed off resort a couple of times but find that we really much prefer to stay on resort as it just adds to our Disney experience. We do not have kids (not through choice) but often took my friends children to DLP and it was just wonderful to experience Disney through a kids eyes. A couple of years ago we went with the extended family and like the OP, NEVER EVER AGAIN NOT EVEN IF WE WIN THE LOTTO!!!!!!!! They were just a pain in the backside, the kids were brilliant but the adults...well...................!!!!!! Lesson learnt from this, NEVER go with people who are only there for the kids and have no interest in Disney themselves because all they do is try and pick fault with everything and say things like ‘I don’t understand why you come here all the time’ aaarrrggghhhhh!!
If I thought I would never be able to go back I not sure how I would survive...I could never ever see myself going to a beach holiday anywhere and a city break is just that , a break! WDW has it all for us. If we are a bit broke then we may skip a year and maybe go to DLP but this really is only 2nd best to us and is not a patch on Disneyworld, but I have to have an annual fix of Disney somehow.:)

DH and I went on a trip to California in 1997 before we had kids. I wanted to visit Disneyland and he wanted to go to Las Vegas. We did both! Believe it or not, we didn't plan ANYTHING.:scared1: We bought our 5 day Disney tickets in the hotel lobby and then picked up a map in the Park on our first day. God knows how much stufff we missed.:rotfl: Going through the turnstiles, I suddenly realised being there made me feel happy, relaxed and young-at-heart - I was hooked.

It would be a further 7 years before I booked another Disney trip, this time to DLP. My first DD had just turned 5 and my second daughter was 11 months old. We took MIL with us and had a great time. It was when they had Magic Unlimited which meant you could stay on the ride if it wasn't busy. The parks were empty in January! I decided that I would return with the youngest when she turned 5.

Fast forward another 4 years and my second daughter was fast approaching her 5th birthday and we had DD number 3 who was 15 months old. I had found the DIS by then and after reading a lot of trippies, I took the plunge and booked the Pink Palace. It was fantastic! I have such happy memories of that trip: DD (5) being amazed by a 'real' castle; the girls collecting autographs in the hotel lobby in their socks; listening to the piped music in the Parks after dark from my bedroom window...:cloud9:

I promised the girls that we would have another Disney holiday when the youngest turned 5. And here we are. The youngest turns 5 on October 1st (sharing her birthday with WDW!) and 28 days after this we will be in a 'whole new world'.:goodvibes

Oh what a wonderful story, thanks for sharing! How lovely that you've done it for each of your children around the same age. :lovestruc

Re: your first trip to Disneyland and buying tickets at the hotel etc - although you wouldn't consider doing that now, don't you think there is a sort of magic about that 'not knowing'? I love that newness that we all have when we first go to a Disney park, because however good you think it is going to be - it is always a thousand times better, and more significantly, different. There is something about Disney parks, specifically Disney, that can't be put in to words, and I don't think you can prepare anyone for that in advance.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Paris with your youngest :hug:

As soon as you've been to WDW you'll have another wonderful chapter to your Disney story. :goodvibes:thumbsup2

Here's my dull and boring story....

I've been a big Disney fan since I was little. Sleeping Beauty was probably the first film I had on Video Tape. Ever since I saw that film I was hooked. My Mum and Nan always brought me Disney videos because it was a given that I would love them.

My fave Disney film is the Little Mermaid and I would watch it that often that the video tape nearly wore out. :sad2:

My other film 'love' at a young age was Jaws (I know not Disney but it does have a connection...honest!). My family never took holidays abroad, we always went to Devon, Cornwall or Yarmouth.

I always remember Florida being advertised on TV. I remember seeing the Disney Castle and the Jaws ride, I always wished my parents would take us - sadly it never happened.

I joined the boy scouts (yes, I am aware of my gender :laughing:) and we did a camping trip in Paris. We camped in Disney's Davy Crockett Ranch, it wasn't quite Florida but it was Disney.

All I remember from that trip was crying on BTM and meeting the Walrus from Alice in Wonderland. Needless to say thanks to weeks in Paris thanks to College I visited DLP a few more times, loving Disney more and more each time.

Anyway in 2006 I met DH, we both worked in the same supermarket. James had been to Florida many many many times. We finally got together in April 2008. He took me to DLP in the October of that year :lovestruc

We hadn't been in DLP long and the first thing I wanted to see was the castle. We reached the castle and I stood gawking at it. I turned round to say something to DH and there he was on one knee. He had this whole speech prepared and asked me to marry him. :love::cloud9: There was a small crowd on the bride and they were all clapping, it was wonderful.

In 2010 I finally made it to Florida. I saw the castle and I rode Jaws (rip :sad1:). I knew I was going to love WDW. It was amazing. One night we rode the monorail and spotted the Wedding Pavillion. The crazy idea of getting married in WDW formed and in October 2011, after convincing my parents to leave the UK, we were married in Disney.

It was wonderful - my parents were there and I married James. If I could do it all over again I would.

Were going again in Sept to carry on our Disney story, it will be our last trip for a while so we'll definately make the most of it...

sorry to bore y'all... :rotfl:

You certainly didn't bore me! Thanks for sharing it - I love your story - and I remember watching those videos with the Jaws ride on - those promo videos are so powerful aren't they, I've never wanted anything more, in my entire life!

Congratulations and :cloud9::lovestruc at your Disney proposal and wedding - James is :thumbsup2

I feel all blissed-out and happy now!!

:hug:
Well my Disney story goes like this...

I have been a Disney fan for as long as I remember, which is a LONG time! My parents were not able to afford to take me to Disney when I was young and said even if they had the money that we would never have gone there!:scared1: Shock horror! So by the time I was able to afford to go I was in my teens and my boyfriend at the time also had no interest what so ever in Disney...Shock horror again!!! Now we stayed together for 14 years and eventually something had to give and I got rid of the Disney hating boyfriend and found myself a Disney Loving husband:lovestruc..Hooray at last!! We have been to Disney lots now and I can’t see this ever changing thankfully. We have travelled to lots of other places but we both agree that there is nowhere else we would rather be (for a holiday anyway) other than WDW. We have stayed off resort a couple of times but find that we really much prefer to stay on resort as it just adds to our Disney experience. We do not have kids (not through choice) but often took my friends children to DLP and it was just wonderful to experience Disney through a kids eyes. A couple of years ago we went with the extended family and like the OP, NEVER EVER AGAIN NOT EVEN IF WE WIN THE LOTTO!!!!!!!! They were just a pain in the backside, the kids were brilliant but the adults...well...................!!!!!! Lesson learnt from this, NEVER go with people who are only there for the kids and have no interest in Disney themselves because all they do is try and pick fault with everything and say things like ‘I don’t understand why you come here all the time’ aaarrrggghhhhh!!
If I thought I would never be able to go back I not sure how I would survive...I could never ever see myself going to a beach holiday anywhere and a city break is just that , a break! WDW has it all for us. If we are a bit broke then we may skip a year and maybe go to DLP but this really is only 2nd best to us and is not a patch on Disneyworld, but I have to have an annual fix of Disney somehow.:)

Hiya,

Thanks for sharing!

Thank god you found someone who loves Disney too; life is too short for no Disney!!

LOL at you understanding the extended family thing - it is a complete and utter nightmare isn't it - words cannot convey how much I wouldn't do it again, lol!

:grouphug:

You know, there is a part of my Disney story that I forgot to put in my original post - not sure how it slipped my mind, lol - when DH and I got married we took our honeymoon in the US, but instead of going to WDW we went to Las Vegas for a few days then drove across to Los Angeles. I'm big in to my celebrities and stuff, so really enjoyed the Hollywood and Beverly Hills stuff, and we spent 3 days at Disneyland and DCA - we rode Soarin' over California - OMG wow I was so amazed. I had been to DL once before, but even so, the Castle still shocked me how small it was!

We were extremely lucky on this trip, as I had written to the Disney Company before hand to say would it be possible to just step inside the real studio up at Burbank - even just inside the gate (its like Holy Land to me, lol) and to my amazement, they actually called me and said yes, it wouldn't be a problem and they'd send me an e-mail to confirm it. When it came through, it was actually an invitation to come to the studio for the day and look around.

We went there, and this woman met us, and we spent a couple of hours looking around the studio - we saw the original soundstage where Mary Poppins was filmed, and the props department where I recognised a few things from films. We went in to the sound/orchestra studio, where the soundtracks for Aladdin, Little Mermaid etc were made, and the screening room. One of the highlights was going to the 'vaults' - the stuff they have there is amazing; we were able to see original machettes (sp? the grey statues they copy when drawing!) and things like the original bedknob from Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Mary Poppins' umbrella! One amazing thing, that actually made me tearful, was a collection of lots of really tall, thick, dark red leather bound books - which were basically scrapbooks full of cuttings from newspapers and magazines around the world, when Walt died. There were lots of his private photos, and drawings. It was so strange, almost eerie.

We went in the building with the 7 dwarfs holding up the roof, which was cool. And we saw the original partners statue.

The original studio on Hyperion Avenue was moved to the Burbank site and now stood as a security building. It was amazing seeing the original studio where they created things like Snow White!

I thought things wouldn't get any better, but then I asked which building Walt's office would have been in - I remember watching documentaries featuring Walt presenting his plans for Disneyland, then Walt Disney World, from his office suite. She pointed out the building to us, and then said no-one is really allowed to go up to his office, which is preserved, but she might have a key ;). With that, we entered this building - my heart fluttering so much I could hardly walk and breathe at the same time - we walked pass the offices of Jerry Bruckheimer, and a few other notable people. The signs on the door were all slid to 'OUT' - these weren't even old offices, these were current ones!! We climbed two floors of stairs, and then along a corridor, and then there we were - at Walt's office suite. It looked exactly as it did in the documentaries (well of course it would, :rotfl2:, but you know what I mean). I felt like I was on hallowed ground. To know that this is where the man responsible for all of this, sat, drank, drew, had meetings - made me shiver.

After our tour had finished, she gave us some gifts - including bags that were given out at the annual company picnic that year - said we could stay for as long as we liked, and just wander around. We had lunch in the Commissary (the real one!!) which was really strange, as all these Disney execs, actors, studio people were also queuing up at the wonderful food court for their lunch.

We went in to the 'Disney Store' there which had lots of cast member only items - but we were allowed to buy them, so DH bought a t-shirt and a hat, I bought a bag, and we bought some magnets, a christmas tree bauble and some cups. I would be heartbroken if I ever lost that stuff, or the cups broke! :scared1:

I remember standing in the car park, not knowing what to do with myself, and not being able to hold back the tears. I was happy, overwhelmed, sad to be leaving, nervous in case I got out of the gates and then realised there was something else I wanted to see.

I think these days, there are regular tours to the studios, with Club D33 (is that the name?) but I don't know that you get to see everything. At the time it wasn't open at all, so we really did feel very special - that's Disney magic for you, eh?

Grrrr, I have to go to a meeting now - I'd rather sit and talk about Disney :rotfl2:

Sorry to have hi-jacked this thread with this wallowy wander down memory lane - but once I started I couldn't stop!!

:grouphug: to all!a

Another great story Rachel - that's the sort of experience that money can't buy. :goodvibes

I know what you mean about the castle at DL - I had read about how small it was and was determined not to compare it with WDW but it just looks so wee when you actually see it.

Aw Rachel you always move me!

Elsie has also technically been to WDW lol! When I was 4 1/2 months pregnant!

WDW, Disney, DLP is so special to me I have non Disney friends that I know roll their eyes that I like it so much.

Disney to me holds all the amazing memories I have as a child!

Travelling their with grand parents that are no longer with us!

I remember being on the boat to MK in WDW and just watching my Grampy look out over the side of the boat with the sun on his face peacfully enjoying himself! He loved boats and he loved the sun! He died the year after and every time I get on that boat I am always sit there quietly and think about him!

We got engaged in Cinderella's castle and just seeing the castle at the beginning and end of all the Disney films I think wow I got engaged there! Dave just knows me too well and knew it is so me lol!

We also went on or honey moon there and would of got married there except Dave's dad is to ill to fly there so we were married here but I will get my Vowel Renewal there one day!

x

What lovely stories. :goodvibes

I'm afraid mine isn't anywhere near as interesting. DH and I both grew up watching Disney Time on Bank Holidays and when we got engaged he promised to take me to WDW. It was to be 16 years and 3 children before we finally made it :rotfl2: but OMG it was so worth the wait. I thought I was going to burst with excitement when we took the ferry across to MK for the first time and saw Cinderella's Castle getting closer and closer. Then Chip and Dale were on the other ferry coming towards us waving!

It was meant to be a once-in-a-lifetime holiday but we have got very bitten by the Disney bug and have since visited WDW twice more, been on a Disney cruise and been to DLP several times with another trip this summer. Next year we are going on another Disney cruise to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary and then finishing off with a few days at Disneyland.

So much for that once-off trip! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter