Your fav things...DVC stay only!

Luckymommyx2

Wishing you a magical day
We're looking at possibly booking a DVC stay only...no parks :faint: for January 2009. What are some of your favorite things to do? If it helps, we're looking at staying at OKW for the first time with two kids, 10 and 11.
TIA! :goodvibes

We LOVE OKW! One of my favorite things is to take the boat to DTD from OKW (and back since for some reason the buses seem horrible from DTD to OKW...). Someday I want to try the walking path from OKW to SSR as well. This trip we plan to pool hop over to SSR and maybe some others. We are also planning to BBQ for the first time. I enjoy everything about OKW and hope you love it too! Make sure you check out the activities at Community Hall as well!

Renting a Surrey bike....we plan to do that again next month. :thumbsup2

Just back from a week at BWV and my DH and I both agree that next spring/summer we're going to take a non-theme park trip to Disney. Already we've talked about pool hopping, actually taking part in those activities at Community Hall we never make it to because of being at the park, Welcome Home Wednesday, a movie at DTD, shopping at DTD, evening strolls on the Boardwalk, water skiing, OHHHH and my new favorite thing:

Beach Club beach in the evenings: 8-8:30pm campfire sing a long, 8:30-9pm a s'mores roast, and then at 9pm fireworks from Illuminations and a movie on a big screen right there on the beach!! Its a MUST!

Also, there are a whole LOAD of activities over at Fort Wilderness!

:goodvibes so much fun stuff to do!!!

January is a good time weatherwise to ride bikes from VWL to FW and around the campground. We like to do that.

Bobbi:)

For a non-park trip, I'd sure consider going to Cirque du Soleil's La Nouba. It's a great show, and it's right down the street from OKW.

Also, with kids that age, a day trip to Kennedy Space Center might be a lot of fun.

We're looking at possibly booking a DVC stay only...no parks :faint: for January 2009. What are some of your favorite things to do? If it helps, we're looking at staying at OKW for the first time with two kids, 10 and 11.
TIA! :goodvibes

Don't know the gender of your children, but the Grand Floridian afternoon tea is fun. I also second seeing La Nouba, riding the ferry from OKW to DTD, renting bikes, playing basketball at OKW courts, shuffleboard and all the activities at Community Hall. It may not be warm enough in January, but we also have always enjoyed the water sprites. Campfires at BCV and Fort Wilderness are another fun activity. Enjoy!

Thank you for all the replies so far! My DD will be 11 and my DS will have just turned 10 when we go. I've definitely thought about the arts and crafts at community hall. I love the idea of going over to the Boardwalk for supper and Illuminations and movies at the beach!! I guess the quickest way would be to take the boat or bus to DTD then grab a bus to BC or BW. We've been back to the Fort Wilderness area and horseback riding would be something to consider if it's not too expensive.
I'm getting really excited and will call first thing tomorrow morning for reservations! Thanks...keep the ideas coming!!

PS...We really want to do LaNouba but this is going to be more of a budget trip. We'll be heading back to WDW again in May--only four months after OKW. I think we'll be getting annual passes at that point so we'll have to try to save where we can until then.

I also want to do this at some point. We will probably do some parks but not every day. We like to relax on vacation this year we are doing all 4 parks and a water park. My girls are still really young.

I want to know how you're going to stay at WDW and explain to the kids 10 & 11 that they're not going to the theme parks during this trip!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good luck!
Dennis-

I want to know how you're going to stay at WDW and explain to the kids 10 & 11 that they're not going to the theme parks during this trip!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Good luck!
Dennis-

I'm going to do my best by not opening my mouth about it at all and surprise them either for Christmas or the morning we leave! That gives me some time to plan how I'm going to break it to them. Actually, I think they'll be okay because they know we'll be back in a few months--or at least that's what I keep telling myself!! :rolleyes1

Does WDW do P&PP in January, maybe you could get a party ticket and at least enjoy MK for one night.

Denise in MI

Does WDW do P&PP in January, maybe you could get a party ticket and at least enjoy MK for one night.

Denise in MI

I think my son and daughter would absolutely LOVE that! I guess I need to go look it up!! Thanks!

I think my son and daughter would absolutely LOVE that! I guess I need to go look it up!! Thanks!

There are no 2009 dates for the P&PP yet.

Horseback Riding info from wdwinfo.com:

This 45-minute to one hour guided trail ride goes through the wooded areas of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

Offered daily at 8:30am, 10:00am, 11:30am, 1:00am and 2:30pm

Check-in is 30 minutes prior to the ride time. If you arrive after the Safety Announcement, you will not be permitted to ride.

Cost is $42.00 including tax. Reservations are required and can be made up to 90 days in advance. Cancellation of rides may occur due to inclement weather.

Minimum age is 9
Minimum height is 48 inches
Maximum weight is 250 pounds.
Helmets are recommended and are provided at no charge.
Nothing can be carried while on horseback. Small storage lockers to hold cameras and backpacks are provided at no charge.
No open-toed shoes, flip-flops or strapless shoes should be worn for riding.
Pick up tickets on the same day at the Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground Kennel at least 30 minutes prior to start of ride.
Parents need to sign consent forms for children

There are no 2009 dates for the P&PP yet.

Horseback Riding info from wdwinfo.com:

This 45-minute to one hour guided trail ride goes through the wooded areas of Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground.

Offered daily at 8:30am, 10:00am, 11:30am, 1:00am and 2:30pm

Check-in is 30 minutes prior to the ride time. If you arrive after the Safety Announcement, you will not be permitted to ride.

Cost is $42.00 including tax. Reservations are required and can be made up to 90 days in advance. Cancellation of rides may occur due to inclement weather.

Minimum age is 9
Minimum height is 48 inches
Maximum weight is 250 pounds.
Helmets are recommended and are provided at no charge.
Nothing can be carried while on horseback. Small storage lockers to hold cameras and backpacks are provided at no charge.
No open-toed shoes, flip-flops or strapless shoes should be worn for riding.
Pick up tickets on the same day at the Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground Kennel at least 30 minutes prior to start of ride.
Parents need to sign consent forms for children

Thank you for all of the info! It's something I'm putting on my to-do list immediately. I just called and made my reservations this morning for a 2bedroom at OKW so I'm really excited and anxious to start planning again!
:cool1: :goodvibes :cloud9: :love: :woohoo: :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter