Your opinion on PORS please...

jessicarabbituk

Mouseketeer
We are planning to book the accommadation for our honeymoon in the next few days and our choice was going to be PORS but after reading trip advisor reviews I'm a little unsure now. There are complaints about room cleanliness, general dated appearence of the rooms and poor service.
Has anyone experienced any of these problems at this resort or any others? I realise everyone has a different opinion but I don't want to end up feeling like we are staying at a Days Inn after so looking forward to staying onsite.
We are also planning on asking if there is availability to stay at the Contempery for our last night or two as its unfortunatly too expensive for the whole trip, does this sound like a good idea or is the packing and unpacking just abit of a faff?
Thanks in advance :wizard:

hey,

Port Orleans is in the middle of refurb right now- POFQ is half way to being completed by April 2011 and then they will move onto POR according to rumours. I guess it depends when you are going. We stayed in POFQ Jan this year for the marathon and found our room to be absolutely fine and in good condition. The theme and atmosphere is not one of modern, clean cut edges though so I don't imagine it will ever look this way.

I love Port Orleans though and will be taking my fiance there for our honeymoon and his first WDW experience!

we stayed here on our last trip in March this year and have just booked to go back in May 2011, i loved the feel of the hotel, had lovely service, room was clean (although was a bit dated, but i think that went with the feel of the hotel). We loved it and would def reccomend it for a honeymoon location as its got a romantic feel to it. We stayed in a magnolia room as my oh is a bit funny with rustic looking rooms and i think the alligator bayou rooms might have more of a rustic feel to them. HTH :thumbsup2

I've only stayed at POFQ, never at POR, and love it. We're heading back there in September and upgrading the free QSDP to the DDP instead of staying at a deluxe because I love it so much. I can't wait to see the refurbed rooms too - the pictures have me excited enough as it is!

I've always found it to be a very clean, considerate and friendly resort and - POFQ at least - is quiet and peaceful.

I'd give POFQ a consider in addition to POR...POFQ is a smaller, cosier resort and only has the one bus stop compared to 4 (I think) at POR. Whichever resort you decide to stay at though, the other is only a short walk or water taxi ride away and you can use the pool and other amenities there.

I wouldn't worry about either resort! :goodvibes

:thumbsup2

We loved our stay at POR in Alligator Bayou building 27. The room wasn't huge, but had everything we needed and was very pretty. We liked the lush vegetation and baby rabbits nearby.
We liked the quiet pool for relaxation and the main pool for fun!
The foodcourt is great with a good variety of food.
We enjoyed our boatride to DTD and our walk along the river to POFQ. The shops and bars at both resorts are lovely.
The buses sometimes took longer than we would have liked because they went all the way around both resorts, which meant we were further back in the queue for rope drop than we would have liked, but if you plan for this you should be OK.

We stayed at POR in Aug/Sep and our room was lovely and clean. As an earlier poster said, that resort is getting a refurb as soon as the refurb is finished on sister hotel POFQ, so you could get a new room depending on the dates for your honeymoon.
The grounds are also lovely and very well kept. Ideal for a romantic stroll or a horse drawn carriage ride in the evening :love:

We were there in 2007 and loved it!! But then we also loved Coronado Springs last year. This year we are going to POFQ because we were getting a better deal on that than POR but we were happy to go to either of them!

mo x

We stayed at POR in May, in the Acadian House block, we were happy with our room and it's location, and we would definitely stay there again in the future :)

We stayed for 5 nights as part of our wedding trip last December (2009) and it was immaculate. We absolutely loved the resort and would go back in a heartbeat.

We stayed at the Magnolia Mansions and it was very pretty. The aligator bayou is definitely more rustic but it looked great too.

We had a car so didn't use the buses, but we did use the boat a few times to DTD which was great.

Magnolia did look pretty. :) Alligator Bayou is described as more rustic but it is also the section they use for families of 5 because of the trundle beds there so as a couple the OP is unlikely to get AB without a special request for it.

we are staying at POFQ mainly because as previous posters have said it is a bit smaller and the buses stop there first i definately will pop over to riverside though just to be nosey !

this is a great resort

Have to agree with what others have said - Riverside is a fantastic resort. We stayed there for two weeks in 2009 and are headed back there in September. We were in Acadian House in a corner room, the room was spotlessly clean, no issues whatsoever. It's a great resort for honeymoon - as someone mentioned previously they have horse drawn carriage rides, and the grounds are beautiful. I loved early morning strolls alongside the river to the main house and the foodcourt, and the boat ride to DTD is fantastic, a great way to relax at the end of the day.

We stayed at POR for our honeymoon in 2007 and loved it. We also booked 3 nights at the GF at the start of our stay and the packing wasn't a problem at all. It was hard to leave the GF but we really liked POR too. I would rather have the shorter stay at the start of the holiday as you can setting into your longer stay knowing you don't have to pack up until you are coming home. :goodvibes

Stayed there Oct '09.... it's a wonderful resort and I'd stay there again in a heartbeat! We were in Oak Manor, which was a perfect short stroll away from the bus stops and Boatwrights! :cool2:

Thanks for all your opinions, they were really helpful.
We have however deccided to give POFQ a whirl this time and I'm yet to make a desicion on whether to change resorts during our stay.

Thanks again :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter