Zoom lenses

geez, only one week with the new camera and am already itching for a stronger zoom...

I've got a Rebel XT with a Sigma 18-125. I borrowed a Canon 70-300 at my son's baseball tournament last week and was not thrilled with the pics I took with that lens (although I'm willing to blame my inexperience to a large extent; also, I didn't use a tripod, but usually braced myself against the fence).

Suggestions? I'm not in the L series budget (but go ahead and make me salivate), and I fear the IS will be too much $$ right now too, but please feel free to convince me otherwise! pirate:

As always, TIA!

Get the 70-300 (I'm assuming by your post you were using a non IS version that was a lot less expensive) and a tripod. Get a decent tripod with a good head for moving around and you'll be a lot happier with the baseball pictures.

Though Sigma makes a 80-400mm with OS (their version of IS or VR) that comes in under $1000. But you'll still need a tripod as that is a beast of a lens. Something like 61 ounces.

Thanks; the 300 was not an IS. (and I know it was a 300; I guessed at the 70 part...) Pics were not sharp, in general - this the result of not using a tripod?

Also, probably having nothing to do with the lens, but the pics were a bit washed out looking (EXTREME sun/heat that day). I can adjust via computer, but suggestions for the next time I shoot on such a bright day? :sunny:

Someone on our local Craigslist is selling this for $400, any opinion? I know it is a first gen. IS lens, but 300mm plus IS is very tempting. Mostly will use for kids indoor/outdoor sports (Basketball, soccer, swimming)

Thanks

Sue

What is your budget?
$300 - 550 - 800 - or up?
THis is the 70-300 with IS:
79382442-L.jpg

fire guy shot at full 300mm
61829428-L.jpg

I love it and have not seen any of the problems, from shooting in portrait orientation, that a few others have reported.

The stunt show fire guy was from this far away...
at 28mm
61829403-M.jpg

Mikeeee

JR6ooo4 said:
What is your budget?
$300 - 550 - 800 - or up?
THis is the 70-300 with IS:
79382442-L.jpg

fire guy shot at full 300mm
61829428-L.jpg

I love it and have not seen any of the problems, from shooting in portrait orientation, that a few others have reported.

The stunt show fire guy was from this far away...
at 28mm
61829403-M.jpg

Mikeeee
can you draw a circle or something where the fire guy was located? i can't figure it out just by loooking

and for any except you with nerves of steel that never shake types ;) ...is it really normal to be able to use a 200-300 mm ( with out lightening fast shutter)without a tripod? does the is do that much to make it possible to take that minus tripod?

portrait orientation problem only happens on lenses with serial number:

xx0xxxxx
xx1xxxxx
and some of xx2xxxx

if you have xx3xxxxx or xx25xxxx (and beyond), you're safe.

Ooooooh, that would take me a while.

He was (will be, moments later in the show) just to the right side of the wide shot and about 1/3 up from the bottom.
He rides a motorcycle from left to right and in the middle area he crashes it and starts sliding. The dark stripe in the pavement going up and to the left of the guy in the blue jacket is flammable liquid and would be lit on fire. He slides thru then walks about 20' before being extinguished.
Mikeeee

thanks even with my magnifying glass i couldn't figure it out :rotfl2:

Kelly Grannell said:
portrait orientation problem only happens on lenses with serial number:

xx0xxxxx
xx1xxxxx
and some of xx2xxxx

if you have xx3xxxxx or xx25xxxx (and beyond), you're safe.

THey progress numericaly, correct?
My 08003578 is way past the bad numbers?

Mikeeee

mikeee, fabulous shots! I am drooling!!! :thumbsup2

I'm thinking $300 range (I'll need to earn some stripes before I can spend the $$ on the IS). Any thoughts on Tamron or Sigma? Or does the non-IS canon usurp both?

What I learned in my research was that the Sigma is the best of the 7x-300 non IS zooms. However, the Canon 70-300 is optically superior to the Sigma even without the IS. Adding IS made it a no-brainer for me.

Little late I know.

PoohJen, while I do recommend the IS versions of Canon lenses. IMO they are not really optimal for sports, except maybe golf(or other more stationary sports).

The number one mistake made by newish sports shooters is shutter speed too slow, for high school sports at full zoom you really should be aiming for 1/1000th and minimum 1/800th. And maybe a little slower with girls sports, but only if light does not allow the desired shutter speed. The use of IS may actually slow down the shutter a couple stops, which is not really the goal.

These were taken with the $140 Canon 70-300mm, I only use this when I have no access to the field and shoot through the chain link fence. Never use a tripod, but If I have sideline access I do take a monopod.

IMG_7784.jpg

5x7_8269.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

PoohJen said:
I'm thinking $300 range (I'll need to earn some stripes before I can spend the $$ on the IS). Any thoughts on Tamron or Sigma? Or does the non-IS canon usurp both?

I am not sure about the "OPTICS" compared to Canon, but USM on the Canons is faster IMO. We are talking about shooting sports right...

As always, love your baseball (& softball) shots, anewman!! Yes, talking about sports shots, mostly. mine were thru a chainlink fence too; nowhere near as clear as yours! I need to practice, practice, practice! I tried playing w/ speeds, but mostly used the sports setting on the XT.

I just checked the info on some of the shots I took w/ the 300 - the shutter speed was way too slow - 1/500! :confused3 Dunno how I did that. I did notice on some of the clearer shots at 300mm that I could see my sons freckles clearly! Pretty impressive!

Looks like this highly recommended Canon 70-300 IS lens is back ordered in most of the reputable, resonably priced sellers. (B&H, Adorama, Beach, I even checked the dreaded Dell !!)

Sue

It's extremely in high demand. I sold mine used for MORE than brand new because it's out of stock anywhere. Nothing wrong with my lens but I find that f/5.6 is way too slow of a lens for my needs (y'know, indoor, crazy low-light)

as follow up to an earlier post...

I'm looking for a zoom lens for my XT. Currently have a Sigma 18-125.

I have read mixed (i.e., poor) review on the canon 75-300 and the canon 100-300 (both not IS). What do the DisBoard experts thinK?

Also, a Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro has been recommended. Thoughts?

Finally (thanks Crash!) the canon 70-300 IS was recommended, but I think too pricey for me at the moment. (also, what about the out-of-production 75-300 IS?)

This would be mostly for sports and shooting animals/birds from a distance (I like to go kayaking on remote creeks).

TIA!

someone was selling one locally for $300, I went and tried it and was not impressed. It was not sharp (I can't tell the technical stuff), I just wasn't happy with it, can't really tell if IS did anything. Could be that particular copy or just me not knowing much about IS lenses :rotfl2: .

I'm saving my pennies for the Canon 70-300 IS. Figure I have a little time since it's backordered everywhere. Hopefully production will be back on track and it'll be available in the fall for kids' soccer season; or winter for basketball season; or our April cruise!!

Sue from Boston

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter