Zootopia expansion coming to Shanghai

Personally Zootopia makes 0 sense in Animal Kingdom. Zootopia is not about animals or conservation or anything that Animal Kingdom really represents. Even Pandora has that connection. Zootopia should go to DHS if it comes to the US.
Totally agree would be a great addition to HS.

Personally Zootopia makes 0 sense in Animal Kingdom. Zootopia is not about animals or conservation or anything that Animal Kingdom really represents. Even Pandora has that connection. Zootopia should go to DHS if it comes to the US.

Yes... and Pandora, Dinoland, and a giant Yeti make a ton of sense. Zootopia, a movie all about animals, would make perfect sense in Animal Kingdom. I bet it happens. The whole conservation aspect of the park was thrown out the window in 2007.

Pandora is connected thanks to maybe 2 lines in the FoP preshow shoehorned in... that’s it.

Yes... and Pandora, Dinoland, and a giant Yeti make a ton of sense. Zootopia, a movie all about animals, would make perfect sense in Animal Kingdom. I bet it happens. The whole conservation aspect of the park was thrown out the window in 2007.

Pandora is connected thanks to maybe 2 lines in the FoP preshow shoehorned in... that’s it.

Zootopia isn’t about animals at all, the characters just happen to be anthropomorphized animals, but could easily have just been human and changed next to nothing. It is a buddy cop film about racism and elitism. It’s equivalent to Robin Hood in that manner.

The dedication says it all:

“Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.”

I’m not sure why you think the conservation element was tossed out in 2007, it’s still very much a focus of the park all over.

Pandora fits because Avatar was all about conservation and the environment, and the land itself fulfills the mythical element that was cut from the park’s opening.

Dinoland fits since Dinosaurs are the ancient animals and it heavily leans into the learning aspect, however not quite to the extent it did when it opened. Dinorama is a looser fit but it ties into the Dino Institute, and it being so visually different from the rest of the park is frequently cited as a trouble area. Zootopia would stand out more than it does.

Everest visually fits in with the park perfectly and the Yeti is an animal. And the ride’s surroundings and queue serves to educate.

Zootopia is a very good film that could serve as the basis of a great land but it belongs somewhere that makes sense and that it could add something to. It fits much better at MGM these days or even some presence at Epcot. Judy herself would fit into The Land fairly well being a farmer. Ultimately it’s probably one of the better options to replace Star Tours, make it a chase scene ride and they could still randomize the chase and showcase the city Zootopia.

Last edited:
I think another factor here is cost of construction in Shanghai Vs the US(Florida). I don't know it for certain, but I'm willing to believe the cost for an identical land in Shanghai VS Florida would end up cheaper in the US if land cost is not factored in.
Florida has spent a lot of money, and have committed even more over the next few years. Zootopia might be a good IP to use, but I think Florida is tapped out budget wise.

My thoughts on armchair engineering Zootopia in Florida? I'd prefer to see it in Epcot future world more as a subtext or mini theme, maybe along the spine. DHS is second and Animal Kingdom 3rd in terms of where I would put the IP. Surely you could fit it in Animal Kingdom, but I think are other options that are a better fit for AK. Now that I think of it, I'd put the magic kingdom in 3rd and AK in 4th. Zootopia could fit in Tomorrowland as well, as much as space ranger spin, laugh floor, and stitches great escape.

Zootopia was well received but I think there some other IP's that I'd build off first. I'm very surprised we don't have a Monster's Inc themed area thus far. You see a ton of merchandise in the parks, and you see people actually wearing it. I wish Carsland had come to Florida, but I can understand the company trying to avoid duplicates between California and Florida(Star wars being the exception).

I'm not sure how Zootopia fits any worse than It's Tough to Be a Bug if we're using anthropomorphism as a stumbling block.

Both are pretty highly anthropomorphized. Both still do something to inform viewers on how those creatures live. Zootopia (the city) is made up of different biomes. They do a reasonable job of keeping the scale of different animals.

Heck, every Disney animal IP is anthropomorphized, unless you guys have seen lions living with boars or clown fish migrating on turtles with tangs. As long as it's used as a bridge to learning, I could see it working.

I'm not saying Zootopia would be my first choice, but they could do a lot worse. *cough* Indiana Jones *cough*

Not that any of that will matter to Disney.

Zootopia isn’t about animals at all, the characters just happen to be anthropomorphized animals, but could easily have just been human and changed next to nothing. It is a buddy cop film about racism and elitism. It’s equivalent to Robin Hood in that manner.

The dedication says it all:

“Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn.”

I’m not sure why you think the conservation element was tossed out in 2007, it’s still very much a focus of the park all over.

Pandora fits because Avatar was all about conservation and the environment, and the land itself fulfills the mythical element that was cut from the park’s opening.

Dinoland fits since Dinosaurs are the ancient animals and it heavily leans into the learning aspect, however not quite to the extent it did when it opened. Dinorama is a looser fit but it ties into the Dino Institute, and it being so visually different from the rest of the park is frequently cited as a trouble area. Zootopia would stand out more than it does.

Everest visually fits in with the park perfectly and the Yeti is an animal. And the ride’s surroundings and queue serves to educate.

Zootopia is a very good film that could serve as the basis of a great land but it belongs somewhere that makes sense and that it could add something to. It fits much better at MGM these days or even some presence at Epcot. Judy herself would fit into The Land fairly well being a farmer. Ultimately it’s probably one of the better options to replace Star Tours, make it a chase scene ride and they could still randomize the chase and showcase the city Zootopia.

I’m really having trouble fathoming how a movie about animals isn’t about animals. It’s like saying Toy Story isn’t about toys, A Bugs Life isn’t about bugs, or Cars isn’t about Cars... I think you’re overthinking. Even with the movies deeper themes at its surface it’s still about slow sloths, quick bunnies, and sly foxes. Yes, Toy Story is about friendship and jealousy, but it’s still also about toys.

I’m really having trouble fathoming how a movie about animals isn’t about animals. It’s like saying Toy Story isn’t about toys, A Bugs Life isn’t about bugs, or Cars isn’t about Cars... I think you’re overthinking. Even with the movies themes at the end of the day the movie is about slow sloths, quick bunnies, and sly foxes.
Its not about animals. Its animals imitating people. Cars isn't in AK. Bugs Life they still act like bugs and only have a 3D show. Zootopia just would feel out of place at Animal Kingdom. Let me go from Asia to Africa to oh Zootopia. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Its not about animals. Its animals imitating people. Cars isn't in AK. Bugs Life they still act like bugs and only have a 3D show. Zootopia just would feel out of place at Animal Kingdom. Let me go from Asia to Africa to oh Zootopia. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Well I hope you don’t accidentally wander over to Pandora or you’d be really confused!

Pandora fits and fits well though. I wrote an article about why it fits if you'd like to read it.

I don’t disagree, but I also don’t think it’s anymore fitting than Zootopia. I like that they made some elements fit with the original theme of AK, and I think they can easily, if not even more easily than Pandora, do the same thing for Zootopia.

I don’t disagree, but I also don’t think it’s anymore fitting than Zootopia. I like that they made some elements fit with the original theme of AK, and I think they can easily, if not even more easily than Pandora, do the same thing for Zootopia.
I think we will have to agree to disagree.

I think we will have to agree to disagree.

As with most things in life :) It probably doesn’t help that I’m bias, Zootopia is one of my favorite Disney movies and I’d just love to see it anywhere in the parks.

I’d also like to read your article if you have a link handy!

I’m really having trouble fathoming how a movie about animals isn’t about animals. It’s like saying Toy Story isn’t about toys, A Bugs Life isn’t about bugs, or Cars isn’t about Cars... I think you’re overthinking. Even with the movies deeper themes at its surface it’s still about slow sloths, quick bunnies, and sly foxes. Yes, Toy Story is about friendship and jealousy, but it’s still also about toys.

Toy Story’s entire premise revolves around the world of toys and the characters being toys, so yes it’s about toys. Remove the toys and the film doesn’t work. Zootopia is about a city with a caste system and racial divides that happens to be populated with animals as a vehicle to tell the story to a wider audience. Remove the animals and you can easily keep the entire premise and change very little about the film. Judy being a farm girl is far more important to her character than her being a bunny.

Toy Story’s entire premise revolves around the world of toys and the characters being toys, so yes it’s about toys. Remove the toys and the film doesn’t work. Zootopia is about a city with a caste system and racial divides that happens to be populated with animals as a vehicle to tell the story to a wider audience. Remove the animals and you can easily keep the entire premise and change very little about the film. Judy being a farm girl is far more important to her character than her being a bunny.

That’s all well and good but it doesn’t change the fact that she is still a bunny. What if when the sequel comes out they try a different theme more closely related to animals or conservation? The theme will be totally different, but they’ll still be animals. To say Zootopia isn’t about animals at all just doesn’t make sense.

And to be fair Toy Story could be about pets, cars, robots, etc and with few story tweaks could still be essentially the same movie. Pretty much all Disney and Pixar movies feature a superficial device used to drive a deeper story that could be told many different ways.

That’s all well and good but it doesn’t change the fact that she is still a bunny. What if when the sequel comes out they try a different theme more closely related to animals or conservation? The theme will be totally different, but they’ll still be animals. To say Zootopia isn’t about animals at all just doesn’t make sense.

And to be fair Toy Story could be about pets, cars, robots, etc and with few story tweaks could still be essentially the same movie. Pretty much all Disney and Pixar movies feature a superficial device used to drive a deeper story that could be told many different ways.

If you change the toys to cars or pets, the film would not work. You’d have to restructure scenes, dynamics, dialogue, and rework characters significantly. It would be a different film. Sid couldn’t be torturing dogs in a children’s movie, Pizza Planet wouldn’t make sense, the birthday party wouldn’t work, Andy and his Mom would be out looking for a dog, Buzz’s identity crisis doesn’t work, etc. You could keep the old toy being jealous of the new one. There would still be a movie, but not the same. Secret Life of Pets is essentially Toy Story but with pets, and you can see how different the films had to be executed. If Judy was a girl from Iowa in NYC, the film could remain almost entirely unchanged apart from some size differential jokes. Cars is actually a good example here, the cars aren’t totally relevant either in the first one, it’s a remake of Doc Hollywood, but with cars instead of people. Zootopia is the same, they took a film and made the human characters appear like animals, that doesn’t make it a film about animals. Lion King went a similar route but made the animals more important to the central focus of Hamlet.

And if a sequel addresses conservation and nature, you’d still have the issue of it visually not fitting and also since the characters don’t act like animals, it would be the only place in the park where they couldn’t really exhibit animals at all. Placing it in a different park makes more sense.

And I don’t think we’re going to agree here and it might be best if we stop getting off topic. And arguing semantics isn’t always all that fun, especially for something that isn’t even rumored yet. If Zootopia comes, I just want it done correctly.

Read before but it’s been quite awhile. Always intend to do so again but.... As I recall the ownership of the park was the major obstacle/ impedimen5 to the parks development and ultimately its success

if you don't have time to read it Defunctland did a great youtube video on it... a lot had to do with where they built it and why and then the fact they went way over budget

Biggest impact too was it was like the first real failure of the Eisner era and it spooked them against some of their other big projects they had planned back stateside

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter