💙service dog💙 We did it!!!

smartlabelprint

DIS Veteran
I swore after last trip with kids, March 2018, that we wouldn’t return until we had our service dog. But then I started feeling bad I’ll soon have 2 DLR trips without my kids. 😂 So I started planning a trip next summer.

Found out this week...our service dog is funded!!!! 💕🎉💕🎉💕🎉

We are scheduled to receive it Spring 2020! Perfect timing for our trip!

May I ask why you need the service dog? Seizures etc?
One has seizures but they’re mostly controlled so the dog won’t be trained for this. Our kids have FASD. Some of the symptoms are anxiety, sensory processing disorder. One of them gets incredibly visually overstimulated and they can’t calm themselves down.

They also both bolt. As in run away. They are impulsive so they will be attached to the dog. I’m most excited about this. I was worried we’d have to keep them in the stroller most of the time because it does help regulate them a little. But lack of activity dysregulates them so it’s a toss up.

This is going to make our life so much better. It feels like we’ve been waiting forever! But waiting for the dog at least gave us some hope that soon things might improve at least a little.

Last edited:

Wow, congratulations! Sounds like the service dog will be a great help!

I am always so fascinated by service dogs in general... I am so amazed what dogs can do and how they can help in so many different ways...

Congrats!
Hopefully your new family member helps you to enjoy many more vacations together, with a little less stress!
Service animals are so amazing!

Congratulations! I hope you don't mind me asking which agency you are using. My Goddaughter has FASD and her service dog changed her life! She used 4 Paws for Ability. Her mom has a blog about their life with service dog(s) --both of her kids have them--and FASD. It includes lots of travel info including a trip to Greece with Ned the wonder dog. I know Rosemary would be happy to give you any help you might need learning how to navigate this new adventure. www.InvisibleinPlainSight.com

Congratulations! I hope you don't mind me asking which agency you are using. My Goddaughter has FASD and her service dog changed her life! She used 4 Paws for Ability. Her mom has a blog about their life with service dog(s) --both of her kids have them--and FASD. It includes lots of travel info including a trip to Greece with Ned the wonder dog. I know Rosemary would be happy to give you any help you might need learning how to navigate this new adventure. www.InvisibleinPlainSight.com
I’ll read that! Thanks. 4 paws.

Congratulations! Feel free to start posting any threads with questions about service dogs in the parks. It's helpful for you and others to get accurate information out there! :)
Congratulations! My service dog & I will be doing our 3rd Disneyland trip later this month!
I’ll be the annoying, “tell me everything about service dogs” post. 🤣

But...where do you take them to the bathroom? Do you taken them in a schedule? I’ve never even had a dog-how do you know they need to go? 🙈

What do you do about food & water. I’ve seen some people bring a pop up bowl for the dog to drink anywhere.

But...where do you take them to the bathroom? Do you taken them in a schedule? I’ve never even had a dog-how do you know they need to go? 🙈

What do you do about food & water. I’ve seen some people bring a pop up bowl for the dog to drink anywhere.

There are designated relief areas, but you can also use any grassy area as long as you clean up after your dog! My dog doesn't have a set schedule, I usually just take him every 2-3 hours since he's drinking more water than usual in the heat!

I feed him breakfast before we head to the parks and bring his dinner with. I use pop up bowls for both food and water!

There are designated relief areas, but you can also use any grassy area as long as you clean up after your dog! My dog doesn't have a set schedule, I usually just take him every 2-3 hours since he's drinking more water than usual in the heat!

I feed him breakfast before we head to the parks and bring his dinner with. I use pop up bowls for both food and water!
Thank you!

Ask @Malcon10t about this, too -- lots of experience with service dogs and service dog training at DLR!

Our dogs do get on a schedule, but like any other 3yo (I liken a service dog to having a constant 3yo with you) that schedule can easily go out the window. Our dogs are trained to go on command. They even get to the point of "faking it" on us if we are commanding and they don't have to go. We train all the dogs to squat to go, last thing you want is a male dog lifting it's leg. Yes, they can be trained to squat.

Where? Basically anywhere, as long as you clean up. The green fences around the grassy areas actually have gates, if you know what to look for.

Our pups eat in the morning in the hotel room. If it is a young pup, we will take them back to the room to eat lunch or bring it with us. Our current pup is 18 weeks. (We've raised 9 to date including my daughter's own hearing dog, who passed this last year.) She only spends maybe an hour in the park. We slowly build up her time, as it is very exhausting for them. It is very stimulating. All the scents (candy, popcorn, horses, ducks, horse poop, hot dogs) and visuals (odd characters, big animals, small animals, moving vehicles, lots of people) can wear them out quickly. By the time they are a year, we have them working at least 6-8 hours.

Dinner is back in the room usually. And we always have a water bowl and watch for when they need water.

Feel free to ask any questions.

But...where do you take them to the bathroom? Do you taken them in a schedule? I’ve never even had a dog-how do you know they need to go?
Most service dogs that I've seen have been trained to go to the bathroom on a schedule. I know stomach upset can happen to anyone - even a dog, and I can see where there could be a mistake once in a while.

I noticed a fenced grass area by Jolly Holiday Cafe that has a small sign that says it's a service dog relief area. I'd assume that there are more around the park, but I'm sure the park can help you navigate that.
Feel free to ask any questions.
I didn't know that you trained service dogs. That's really awesome! I know it's lots of work. Kudos to you.

Most service dogs that I've seen have been trained to go to the bathroom on a schedule. I know stomach upset can happen to anyone - even a dog, and I can see where there could be a mistake once in a while.

I noticed a fenced grass area by Jolly Holiday Cafe that has a small sign that says it's a service dog relief area. I'd assume that there are more around the park, but I'm sure the park can help you navigate that.
We do work towards a schedule. But a hot day means drinking more water, which means more breaks. Also, on vacation, means you may not make it back to the hotel for the 8pm dinner, and it may make dinner at 9 or 11pm, which means the whole poop schedule is now thrown off. And extra walking stimulates the bowels, which means, the whole poop schedule is thrown off. All that said, you do learn your dogs signals that they need relief. Such as sudden nosing down, or a longing look at grass, or sometimes it is a slowing in their gait with a kind of waddle. All those mean either get me to a potty spot or be prepared to clean up. A dog is NEVER punished for an accident. All of their accidents are the handler's fault. We have had several accidents over the course of 9 dogs. And we have gotten so good at it, often no one around us has even noticed. (We carry supplies and are fast.) My "favorite" was right in the middle of Adventureland. My younger daughter was behind the dog, there were 5 of us, so we quickly shielded the dog from view, my daughter had it cleaned up and we were moving on within a minute.

I didn't know that you trained service dogs. That's really awesome! I know it's lots of work. Kudos to you.
Thank you. I hope people understand there may be times we allow petting, and there will be times we say I'm sorry. When she is doing well, we can allow petting, but when we are working a new command, a new environment, or just working on keeping focus, we need to say no.[/quote][/QUOTE]

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter