šŸ’™service dogšŸ’™ We did it!!!

Thank you. I hope people understand there may be times we allow petting, and there will be times we say I'm sorry. When she is doing well, we can allow petting, but when we are working a new command, a new environment, or just working on keeping focus, we need to say no.

It always amazes me that people don't understand. Not everything cute must be pet!

What good news @smartlabelprint! Having the funding is great on its own but it's a nice bonus that the timing works well for a trip.

It always amazes me that people don't understand. Not everything cute must be pet!

What good news @smartlabelprint! Having the funding is great on its own but it's a nice bonus that the timing works well for a trip.
We've had a mother tell us that if we bring a dog in public, it is her children's RIGHT to pet them. (Her children, age 4-6, were running down Harbor, at least 200' ahead of her, chasing us and grabbing our pup by the back end. There was a slightly heated discussion in which I may have said some things about her parenting.

We raise for Canine Companions for Independence. The organization provides the dogs for free to those in need. The dogs raised are intended for wheelchair, deaf, mobility support, and children with special needs. Because there is no charge for the dogs, there can be a year or two wait. But the dogs are so well trained, it is worth it.

We've had a mother tell us that if we bring a dog in public, it is her children's RIGHT to pet them. (Her children, age 4-6, were running down Harbor, at least 200' ahead of her, chasing us and grabbing our pup by the back end. There was a slightly heated discussion in which I may have said some things about her parenting.
People who think this way worry me. :sad2:

Congratulations! Thatā€™s awesome! I love seeing all the service dogs! Iā€™m teaching my daughter (sheā€™s 2 and just adores dogs), that we always ask before petting!

I would think it is your right to protect your dog. Especially after what happened to your other dog in DTD... :(
What happened?
We had our puppy in training walking thru DTD, she was about 18 mos old and we were just finishing our part of the training. (We have them til about 20 mos, then they go back to the organization for "college" for 6-9 mos before being placed with a disabled person.) . As we walked, out of no where came a small child about 2 years old. He ran for our dog and grabbed on to the fur so tight we could not get him to release. It felt like 10 mins, but was probably only 15-20 seconds, but the dad finally got him off by grabbing him by the hair. Mean time, poor puppy is yelping, and my daughter just grabbed her up and ran til she felt she was clear, then started looking the pup over. From that day, she was fearful of small children. At advanced training, they worked to overcome the fear, but after 6 mos, they said it wasn't going to work, so we got to adopt her and she lives with us. They couldn't have a dog that ducked behind the handler any time she saw a toddler. That 20 seconds cost them a very good dog.

We do watch for "strange" things while working the dog. This can be from a kid putting a sucker in teh dog's face, a grown man kicking at the dog as he walks by on Main St, and other "service dogs" lunging at ours.

If anyone is curious about why people get upset about "fake" service dog, read this article. I know Wallis and how much this hurt her.

https://www.svvoice.com/whats-all-t...DdW_zNAugyrUkBS2adLLv97uNB7tK2yh6A626EDoG30Ys

@Malcon10t thank you for the work you do with service dogs. They are such amazing animals, and the services they provide enrich the lives of those they help so much.

As someone who used to work at the headquarters of a grocery chain, I've been exposed to the damage fake service dogs can cause, especially in biasing businesses to the treatment of well-trained service dogs. We received calls daily from our stores questioning how they can get rid of badly behaved dogs, and unfortunately also received complaints from disabled individuals about their treatment while with their service dog. It was hard for employees to distinguish true need when 75% of the dogs they encountered were not properly trained.

That said, @smartlabelprint I hope you have nothing but positive experiences on your trip and going forward with your new service dog. But please don't hesitate to be an advocate for your children and your dog, and assert your right to have the dog with you if businesses question you. It can be bumpy at times, but I'm so happy that your children will have a better trip with your new dog there.

We had our puppy in training walking thru DTD, she was about 18 mos old and we were just finishing our part of the training. (We have them til about 20 mos, then they go back to the organization for "college" for 6-9 mos before being placed with a disabled person.) . As we walked, out of no where came a small child about 2 years old. He ran for our dog and grabbed on to the fur so tight we could not get him to release. It felt like 10 mins, but was probably only 15-20 seconds, but the dad finally got him off by grabbing him by the hair. Mean time, poor puppy is yelping, and my daughter just grabbed her up and ran til she felt she was clear, then started looking the pup over. From that day, she was fearful of small children. At advanced training, they worked to overcome the fear, but after 6 mos, they said it wasn't going to work, so we got to adopt her and she lives with us. They couldn't have a dog that ducked behind the handler any time she saw a toddler. That 20 seconds cost them a very good dog.

We do watch for "strange" things while working the dog. This can be from a kid putting a sucker in teh dog's face, a grown man kicking at the dog as he walks by on Main St, and other "service dogs" lunging at ours.

If anyone is curious about why people get upset about "fake" service dog, read this article. I know Wallis and how much this hurt her.

https://www.svvoice.com/whats-all-t...DdW_zNAugyrUkBS2adLLv97uNB7tK2yh6A626EDoG30Ys
Oh my goodness! That poor dog. And youā€™re exactly right, it wouldnā€™t be helpful if the dog was flinching. šŸ˜•

I remember reading about a ā€œservice dogā€ that gave birth on a plane or in an airport. šŸ™„

Thanks for the work you do! So nice you can help families in this way. What a wonderful training ground too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter