• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

1 Bedroom to a Studio

marathonmommy

DIS Veteran
I recently returned from my 1st trip home as a DVC owner. Stayed in a 1-bedroom preferred view at BWV. Loved it! Stayed with DM and 2 children (DD, 5 and DS, 1). Will return in late April with DD, DS, and Sister. I decided to try the studio in order to be able to make two trip in 2006. So, how much am I going to regret the decision to downsize to a studio - I did sweeten the pot a little with a Boardwalk view.

You're going to miss the bedroom (separate room) as well as the washer/dryer, jacuzzi and the fully equipped kitchen - mostly the large refrigerator and "real" dishes.

Just keep telling yourself that staying in the studio means you get another trip!

Best wishes -

Yes, we have had studio stays only twice in 8 years since staying in one the trip we purchased. One of those was at SSR last October. We only stayed for a couple of nights before our OKW GV stay started, and I didn't mind so much because I knew what was coming up! We always get a 1 bedroom even when it is just the 2 of us. It just feels more like a vacation.

CarolMN said:
You're going to miss the bedroom (separate room) as well as the washer/dryer, jacuzzi and the fully equipped kitchen - mostly the large refrigerator and "real" dishes.

Just keep telling yourself that staying in the studio means you get another trip!

Best wishes -
Repeat after me :teacher: 1 studio = 2 trips!!! I'm thrilled to be upgraded from the AS's. :cloud9: Guess I better never book a 1 BR, I might be hooked for life.

Call me spoiled, but having stayed in both a 1 BR and a Studio I know we will never be as happy in a Studio, so I won't book it again. Yes, I know it would save me points, but I don't want to be unhappy the whole time we are there. It just feels like any old hotel room, and is pretty small (haven't stayed at OKW so I can't comment about the larger studios there). Now that I have stayed in a 1 BR I love the extra space, especially with two adults and a 4-yr old.

While I love the one-bedroom villas, I will stay in a studio if I have to. I won't do it again if my dh travels with us though. We stayed in a studio for our first trip home last year. When we got home I was on the phone to MS trying to change to a one bedroom for our Thanksgiving trip!!! Which we were able to do. And it was wonderful. Then dd and I had a ladies trip planned for June and dh begged to go for just a few days. But we had to squeeze him into the studio again!! Nope, not doing that again...that snoring was horrible. When I go in Nov it will be solo, so the studio will be just fine. Yes, I miss not having the washer and dryer but that's about it. For the difference in pts I'll walk to the laundry room!!

The 1-BR definitely has more amenities. We usually do 1 or 2-BRs whenever we go to WDW, but when points run low, I don't mind "roughing" it in a studio. After all, for us anyway, the whole idea behind going to WDW is to be at WDW. If comfort levels were the primary reason for going, we'd just stay home, since even as nice as DVC rooms are, they aren't anywhere near as comfortable as my own house. I'm glad the studio option exists for those "extra" trips once in a while, but when points allow, we prefer the convenience of the larger rooms. But if it comes down to staying in a studio or not going anymore this year, I'll always take the studio.

goofy4tink,
I agree with the husband thing. Mine's not crazy about WDW anyway, so when I bring him I will definitely have to get a one-bedroom - no questions asked! I thought I'd try to squeeze into the studio with sister and kids. She is a Disney DieHard, so I don't think she'll mind but I am afraid I got spoiled! Thanks for the feedback - please keep it coming!

My mantra is always "a studio is better than a regular room"! We reserve 1-bedrooms for extra special trips -- mostly anniversaries. Otherwise, we're always in a studio during lower seasons because that affords us the luxury of three trips per year on our 155 points.

Our first trip home as members is in January and we thought long and hard about 1br or studio. Lots of points (we're from Toronto so we have to go for 1 full week and dd has school so can't go 2x per year...) and we only bought 150 points.

Studio is much larger than the POP room we stayed at last year, and the balcony looking over the bw view will hopefully be something special.

Oh, as for sleeping, we bought a full size air mattress to use for one of the 2 kids. We'll need to find a little room for that on the floor.

I'd love the 1 br for the space, but since we're at WDW in our coldest time of the year, I think we'll spend most of our time outside anyhow letting the little one get some exercise.

We'll stick to the studio but I know I'd get hooked on the 1br so we won't be trying it anytime soon because we just don't have the points.

We have lots of space (and kitchen/laundry) at home the other 357 days of the year, so I figure 7 nights in disney is great no matter what size the room is!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter