1 Month Old

Biddler

Mouseketeer
I am debating whether or not to bring a 1 month old to WDW. I have a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old and possibly a new baby in November. Am I crazy to bring he or she?

First of all, congratulations on the pending addition to your family!

You are the only one who can decide what is right for your family. Here are some things you may want to consider (if you haven't already) before you make the decision:

Will you be the only adult along? If your DH is coming, how much help can you count on from him with your other kids? IMHO, it will work out best if you and your DH can travel with some other adults. My DH & I went to WDW with my brother's family, which included a 5 year old and a 16 month old. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit at BWV. My brother and SIL (who previously went to WDW when their oldest was 3) said they had no idea how much extra work it was to travel with two, one of whom was an active toddler. They both said several times that they could not have done it without extra adult help.

Since you already have 2 small children, you know how much STUFF babies and small children need every day. (I was AMAZED at what my SIL thought essential). Assuming you are planning a December trip. If it's early December, there won't be many crowds to contend with, but the weather can still range from hot to downright cold! Are you driving or flying? Have you thought about how you will manage all that stuff? Looks like you are planning to stay at the BWV. Hope you have a 1 or 2 bedroom reserved so that you can have the washer/dryer right in your room.

You're going to need a stroller or stollers for three to get around the park. You're probably going to have to schedule breaks/naps everyday.

Have you discussed bringing a 1 month old baby to WDW with your doctor? Will you need to contend with formula or just with nursing? Are you able to cancel your reservations if the baby isn't up to the trip or if you yourself are just too tired? You may or may not recover your stamina with this child as quickly as you did with your first or second.

Good luck - whatever you decide!

I think 1 mo may be pushing it. My youngest (now 3yo) had some medical problems that made it so we couldn't take her out of the house until she was 2mo. (She was born at the end of October, and her first real outing except for doctor's appts was the Christmas Eve service at church.) Even if s/he's perfectly healthy, at 1mo the two of you will still be adjusting to nursing, sleeping, etc.

It might be another matter if you live very close to WDW, and can go home if it doesn't work out (and if you don't have to buy non-refundable plane tickets.)

BTW, that youngest child made her first WDW at 5mo (by that time she was FINE), her second at 23mo, and her third just after her third birthday.

If I were you, if it turns out you are pg (!!!!) I'd start making plans for a spring trip.

I too would think twice. Many Drs advise not taking an infant into crowds for at least 6 weeks. You also have to think about how tired you will be 4 weeks PP. You however have two other children so you know a lot about infants and your own body after child birth. Is there anyway you could look to a spring trip. that might be much better for all.

Jordan's mom

We just debated this same question - we have a 5 week old baby girl and were thinking about going to Disney for a few days while I am on maternity leave. It is really tempting since we had to disappoint our DS by cancelling last year's trip (due to preg. complications) and we know that it may take me quite awhile to build up enough vacation time to go later. But we have opted not to go primarily because of the risk of our baby being exposed to something her system isn't ready to handle. The pediatrician who spoke to our childbirth class even recommends not putting newborns into daycare before they are 2 months old and have had their first round of immunizations. He said that anything the baby catches could be a much more serious matter at 6 weeks than it will be just 2 weeks later and that they are more likely to need hospitalization if they get sick before they are 2 months old.
(This may be old news to some of you but we were not aware of this. Of course, lots of things have changed since our 11yo DS was born.:D )

Something else to consider is that you won't really know what kind of traveler the new baby will be. He or she may be great at tolerating long stretches of time in a carseat or stroller, sleeping in strange surroundings, etc. or maybe not. One month doesn't really give you enough time to get to know the baby and see how it will handle such things. We are planning to make some shorter trips to destinations closer to home before we go back to WDW so that we will have a better idea how our DD will handle the trip.

I hope this helps and wish you luck whatever you decide. If you decide to go for it be sure to post back and let us know how it went.:)

We just got back with our now 4 month old. She was 3-1/2 months on vacation. I can't imagine going on vacation with her at 1 month. She ended up in the hospital at 6 1/2 weeks because I gave her bronchitis.
She was great on vacation.

Although your baby will be 1 mo you will *only* be 1 month post partum. YOU need time to rest and heal as well. At 1 month pp I was NOT ready to be out and about with 3 kids. Another thing to consider is that although you wouldn't plan it, a c/s is always a possibility with pregnancy (especially in this c/s-happy society we live in) and if you end up with a c/s you will need extra healing time and most likely won't have YOUR doctor's permission to travel yet.

IMHO, I would really postpone any trip planning so soon after you would deliver. It will give you and your baby time to learn about each other. I am a lactation counselor and I can't tell you the number of calls I get from moms with babies who are 4-6 weeks old who are still not adjusted. Who are having problems or who have a crying collicky baby. I love WDW, but not enough to take a newborn with collick there. :( There will be a lot of time to go yet and maybe waiting a few more months (like go in January when the crowds are really low) might be what you and your new baby need.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

:earsgirl:

I think it is up to you. We had a emer-c-section ( my first c-section) with our 4th and then the same week we got home Sept 11 happened! After 3 weeks of watching the news and crying we decided a WDW reality break was the ticket! We arrived in the beggining of Oct. and she was born on Aug 31. Just a little over a month one week. Our Dr.s (hers and mine are both DVC owners ) both said go for it but stay on prop and fly. We stayed in the Conte. and I loved the walkway between the hotel and MK. We used the pool alot for swims with the other 3 while baby and I took naps. I was breast feeding and did fine with that also. I think the more calm and in control you are the easier it gets. With my 1st it took a while but by my 4th it was old hat for my body and the sweetie just fell in line. Make sure to bring the fav. blankie and a good double stroller that reclines and alot of extra outfits! I think if I was going to attempt it I would not tell the other kids just in case and I would make all the PS and just wait on the other stuff for awhile. Then if codes come out book the codes and make sure you can cancle with 5 days notice. I would wait for Air untill you are holding baby in your arms or get transferable or moveable tickets.(maby skyauction) Most of all Take it easy and have fun!:D

Thanks for all your advise. As it turns out we will be going in November with just the 4 of us. Thanks again.

I'm so sorry, Biddler. This must be a real disappointment. I hope you'll be taking a trip with 5 soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter