• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

12/1 Wonder Sick

lruggiero

Mouseketeer
Cheryl B-

I am so glad that you posted your report. I too was a transplanted Magic traveler to a Wonder traveler and I was very disappointed in the way that Disney handled the sickness on board. First let me say that we were totally unaware of anyone being sick and I asked prior to agreeing to take the Wonder and also at the Supervisor desk when I checked in. I was told that there was absolutley no sickness on the Wonder, not so as told by some Room Serivce crew members....

Anyway, we were seated with another couple and their son who was 4 and my son will be 4 soon. Wow this was great. They made friends and on Monday evening, spent the entire night together at the Oceaners Club. Next day, Tuesday, we were at dinner waiting for our tablemates to arrive and they never did. A while later the husband came and he was all dressed up and explained that they were heading to dinner and their son started vomiting. He came anyway to order off the menu and to bring me a birthday present ( how nice of them) He explained that their son had alot of Ice Cream at Scoops and then fell asleep so they were attributing the illness to that. I was a little leary but hopeful anyway.

By late afternoon the next day, my son had severe stomach cramping and diarrhea. This lasted for some time and then he seemed better so we went to dinner. Again waited for our tablemates who did not show. Finally the wife came to explain that they were all sick and she was trying to report it and she was told that noone else on board was sick. She was on Deck 7 and told me that she and her husband could actually hear others in their cabins vomitting. How could they lie like this? She then called back because she saw people in Hazmat suits and they still insisted that noone was sick.

Next day, Thursday, check out. as I was leaving my cabin, I turned around to get the stroller and behind me was someone in a Hazmat suit (no sickness huh). We arrived at Dolphin resort around 10:30 am and was waiting in line to check in and there were alot of DCL reps there, all of a sudden the room started to spin. I called the DCL manager over and told her that I needed to check into a room right away because I was going to be terribly sick. She right away pulled me out of line and had someone check us in. I explained my son's sickness to her and told her she better send someone to room 5638 to have them do a thorough scrubbing. She said she would. Socl all day Thursday, fun, fun in Disney.

Friday, everyone seemed fine.

Saturday, checkout day. Upon arrival at aiport, 3 year old son started to scream about his stomach again. We actually had to hold up the flight because he was using the toilet and they were trying to back away from the gate. The rude stewardess knocked on the door and told my husband they had to get out since they were holding up the flight. This was the flight from hell, every 5-10 minutes, my son was running to the bathroom.

Monday morning, I have uncontrolled vomitting and diarrhea. I was so sick that I had to have a bed pan since I couldn't even move because I was so weak.
It seems that we were transferring this back and forth.

Before I get any flames I just would like everyone to know that I spent $11.74 on 2 bottles of Purell and 1 box of 8 tiny pocket size bottles of Purell. Besides using this and washing hands like maniacs, we still became ill.

I do not blame Disney for the illness but I do blame them for keeping it secret yet again. Also, the irony of the whole thing is that they cancelled my well planned out Magic trip because of a sickness that I got on their supposed non infected Wonder.

Lori

Iruggiero,

Thanks for your report. I am very sad for what happened to you and your family!

Now I am really starting to have second thoughts about our upcoming cruise in March...

I can deal with being sea sick as long as I wear my sea bands and take bonine, but I would hate to catch that awful virus on top of that... YERK!

oh God! I am truly, truly sorry. Seems more of us 11/30 cruisers did not have a good vacation last week. (so far I think only Linda & Michelle)

I didn't see or hear about anyone being sick on the 12/1 cruise. We were all fine (thank goodness). But, I honestly do not blame Disney. The virus is everywhere! Another hospital here in Toronto shut down (I can't even count how many have), 4 people (out of 60) at work, had it this week. The Minister of Health is going on the TV telling people to stay home if they have any symptoms. My kid's school is reporting symptoms but will not confirm that it is Norwalk.

I feel so bad for you Lori! That sounds like a terrible experience. But you were still smiling when I met you... :)

But to future cruisers... if you are concerned about the cruise, then you should also be concerned about grocery shopping, working, going to school, going to church, etc. It seems you cannot avoid this anywhere. I guess the only bad thing about catching this on a cruise/vacation is that you are not home feeling miserable, in your own bed. And that something you planned for isn't as fun as it should have been.

Lori -

I am so sorry that you and your family got sick. And I completely understand your frustration at how the situation was handled. I hope you are all on the mend now.

Barb -

I had a good vacation because I chose to. It is that simple. I think many, many more of the 11/30 cruisers who went to WDW had a good time than a bad one. We spent the week at AKL with another displaced 11/30 cruise familiy and we all had a blast. We saw the same ships models and DCL buses everywhere we went but they didn't bother us in the least. We know that we will be sailing next year and we got a great WDW vacation to boot. We used 58 DVC points *per night* (for 2 rooms) at AKL when we could have had a 2BR at OKW for 110 points for the entire 5-night stay. Do we hold DCL or DVC accountable for the extra 180 points we used? Nope. We chose to go and there was no availability anywhere else. We got over it.

Hey Lori....Barb....amd all the 11/30 Magic cruisers I did not get a chance to meet........I can relate to Lori and the fact that they did try to keep any hint of sickness under wraps....thay had letters at check in but when a cast member seemed to notice me trying to read it she nicely moved them and turned them upside down.....and admittedly...in hindsight I wish I had just cancelled the whole thing and started over from scratch....the 4 day was not really what we wanted....we were in port for basically all the 4 days.....Nassau...Freeport....Castaway Cay.....and back at the Port so it seemed like we never really cruised....and I was a bit concerned that I would let my disappointment on not going on the Wonder effect my 4 day....which unfortunately it did....Got to meet some other displaced 11/30 cruisers and it turned out to be a bit of a crapshoot with what DCL did for everyone....they scrambled and did try to make many people happy....but many people at the cruise desk were very unhappy.......and no...I never did get my upgrade....they claimed there was not a cabin available(although speaking to some other cruisers they got changed on Monday since they were so unhappy) but it is history now so I just have to wait till next year.....Talk with you guys soon!
Tom

Lori's situation was a little different because sickness really put a damper (to say the least!) on their vacation. But, to be healthy and on vacation, and knowing that a 50% off cruise is a year away, makes it even more fun. We feel that we got a good deal. We still went away for a week, got a short cruise and a trip to Disney... and an upcoming 7-night for 1/2 the price that anyone else will pay! Friends are saying "you guys are so lucky!" That is how we feel.
You gotta smile at that!
The funny thing about all the free stuff that we got is that we didn't ask for anything... yet it seems that we got the most. We simply canceled our 11/30 cruise and rebooked, without asking for special treatment. In return, we got probably $1000 worth of free stuff. I guess that helps my attitude. :D

I found all the people to be so happy and pleasant. And also, when they gave me the letter (saying "if you feel sick, please don't cruise. We will pay for a Disney vacation for you") they said "please read this" and they waited for me to read it, to make sure I was okay with it. I found the entire experience to be positive. All the staff and guests that I met were happy and enjoying themselves.

Our cabin ended up on deck 1, cat. 9, when we have originally booked deck 7, cat. 5... but you know what we found out.... a cat. 9 is fine and I would never book a verandah room for a 4-day. We were almost never in our room. We laughed at the fact that we were on the bottom deck. I kept saying "we are staying in the belly of the ship". My 5.5 yo daughter said "no, we are in the feet". This made us all laugh, and every time we took the elevator down to our room, she would say "now we are in the neck, now we are in the stomach, now we are in the knees... here we are in the feet, let's get off."

I too wanted a couple of cruising days and didn't want to be in port everyday, but if we didn't like a port (Freeport) we just staying on the ship. It didn't really make a difference to us.

But, I rarely find anything wrong on a vacation. We take 1 - 2 vacations a year and have always had the best time. I guess it is in the attitude and the flexibility to roll with the punches. Sorry that I sound so cheery, but that is the kind of person I am.

Michelle - as you know there is a big difference between Port Orleans/French Quarter and the Animal Kingdom Lodge! (we visited there on our last day). We just blew through 185 points staying at a moderate resort because that was the only place they could put us with less than 22hr notice for 8 consecutive nights. Yes we chose not to bounce around but we would have been 7 consecutive nights on the Magic. Glad you had a good DVC experience. Im still waiting for mine.

Michelle - as you know there is a big difference between Port Orleans/French Quarter and the Animal Kingdom Lodge! (we visited there on our last day). We just blew through 185 points staying at a moderate resort because that was the only place they could put us with less than 22hr notice for 8 consecutive nights. Yes we chose not to bounce around but we would have been 7 consecutive nights on the Magic. Glad you had a good DVC experience. Im still waiting for mine.

Barb -

I've stayed at both AKL and PO before and both are great. You spent more points because you used them on the weekends...which you could do since you had so many points refunded to you. We chose to use ours only for Sun. - Thurs. nights. If we hadn't we would have paid about 600 points for the 7 night stay. We paid cash on the first Sat. night in a Standard View AKL room, moved to a Deluxe Savannah View room on Sunday, switched to ASMu for the following Fri night and then checked into ASMo for the last three nights. So, we moved 3 times in 10 days. Am I upset by that? Nope! We had a great time.

And you will have a good DVC experience when you choose to look at the positive. You got all your points back. You get to book a cruise at 1/2 off and you had a WDW vacation which could have been great. There was nothing you could do about the Magic not sailing. There was lots you could have done about the experience you had at WDW. Life is what you make of it. As long as you continue to see things as negative and "less than" you will feel negative and "less than". I choose to see the positive side and find the joy in things. It's up to you.

Just a question as far as the guys in the Hazmat suits - were they really walking around in full gear with the hoods or was is like these:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/50810150/50811275kYCsHe
that many people take for hazmat gear? Not meaning to start anything but I've spent some time in tyveks & think that there would be widespread panic if people were seen walking around the ship in full gear.

tstobb,

I was asking myself the very same question. Honestly, I don't think that I would feel very safe and relaxed watching CM walk around in their hazmat gear! :eek:

Sorry to hear that your family had 'the bug'. Unfortunately it's everywhere and a risk we cruisers are facing this season. I wish you pixie dust and prayers for a quick recovery and for future healthy cruises.

boarded the Wonder at 9:30 a.m. on 12/5 ..after all passengers disembarked. (except us doing back-to-back). They were from a separate company as far as I could tell. Their suits were all white and pulled tightly around their faces, covered them down to and including their feet. Almost looked like "space suits." They also had surgical-type face masks. Again, that evening a kids counselor commented that it startled them b/c they had never seen such a thing before. Also, we noticed dozens (15 to a pallet) of mattresses being taken off and rolls of carpeting being brought on.

That sounds scary! I hope everyone is feeling better. DS & I have been sick at home this week, and that's no picnic, but on vacation is so much worse :(

What was the deal with the letters? Did some people get them while others did not?

Well whaddaya know. I was waiting for someone to post about being sick on the 12/1 Wonder, I didn't want to start a panic. I was also sick, no vomiting just stomach cramps and diarrhea. It started on Tuesday for me and didn't let up until Wednesday, but promptly returned on Thursday when I got home. It was never uncontrolled but definitely more often that usual. I attributed it to something I ate at dinner Monday night (a salad). My boyfriend did not get sick at all. I was the fanatical one about handwashing and using wipes. Go figure. I never reported the illness because as I said, it never got uncontrolled. I just ate very little after Tuesday up until we went to Palo Wednesday night. I went to all meals but ate very little. My server (Dana from India) brought me ginger ale to drink at meals.

Michelemouse and Nedleycan,

Congratulations on being able to take lemons and make lemonade.

Attitude is everything, especially on vacation. My last trip to the World was in October with 7 wonderful nights at our home BWV! We invited my in-laws to join us and while I had a great time for most of the week, but the last full day I was so sick of trying to make everyone else happy that I was making myself and my DH miserable.

Did it ruin the trip? No Did it put a damper on the trip? Yes
Was it my own fault? 100%

Luckily I have a wonderful DH who convinced me that we should make a quick getaway to the world and celebrate the magic of hte Holidays. We leave in just over 5 hours!

No more DVC points left this year, next years are spoken for, so we're doing it on the cheap and spending 4 nights at Coronado. We've never done this resort before and I'm looking forward to something new! Will I miss my wonderful DVC with the big king bed, fridge, microwave, and tub? Sure. Will I let it put a damper on my vacation? Not for 1 second! Disney here we come!

WDWLVR -

Have a great time! And I know what you mean about having to please a large group. We've done a couple of trips like that and I work so hard to make everyone else happy that I don't get to relax at all. I have, however, learned from my mistakes and make sure to appreciate the trips we take with just the four of us.

Enjoy your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter