• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

12/1 Wonder Sick

Originally posted by tstobb
Just a question as far as the guys in the Hazmat suits - were they really walking around in full gear with the hoods or was is like these:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/50810150/50811275kYCsHe
that many people take for hazmat gear? Not meaning to start anything but I've spent some time in tyveks & think that there would be widespread panic if people were seen walking around the ship in full gear.

Thank you for asking. I was wondering the same thing. When someone says "HAZMAT" gear, I picture Type A, fully encapsulating suits (picture the yellow suited guys from Monsters Inc. who responded to contamination by a human child). On the other hand, it seems common for the public (and the media) to call plain Tyveks "Hazmat" or even "Moon" suits.

Peggy

My group of twelve boarded the wonder on december one.All we saw during the cruise was happy faces,as usual.My daughter-in-law got sea sick the first night as she is pregnant and a first time cruiser.We never saw any 'sickness' on the ship.It was another geat cruise,thank you,Disney

Hi all,
I just returned from the 12/8 Wonder, and I did get sick in the middle of our first night, woke up with a pounding headache, cramps and nausea and ended up vomiting three times that night. Felt horrible the next morning so let DH go into Nassau alone while I slept on one of those comfy loungers on Deck Four (no way was I going to stay inside if I could help it!) By that evening, I felt well enough for our Palo reservation at 8 (thank God!) and by the next morning, I was good to go.

While I admit it was scary waking up and thinking that I might have the virus, I decided to be positive and wait it out ... and it ended up affecting just that day. Could have been a mild case of a virus, but I'm more inclined to think that it was just a bug (or a case of eating too much + a very rocky boat!), and I didn't report it to anyone. I did talk to two other people, one of whom had been sick and one whose husband had to leave Palo before their food came because he was sick. One poor little thing actually vomited on stage during the children's I Discovered the Magic show on the last day. This was the only other sickness I knew about.

For those who will be cruising in the future, I wouldn't worry that much about it. Everyone on the Wonder is doing everything they can to prevent any kind of outbreak -- they don't even re-use the crayons that they give to the kids at meals (although they did run out the last two nights!). Lots of cleaning was going on all over the ship, and I saw handrails being wiped down a lot, which was good!

If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer if I can!

:D

On debarkation day my wife saw a little girl in the hall that was sick. Her grandmother was soothing her. She was all red and had her bag in front of her to be ready. This was the only sign of sickness we saw on board. I have a question for all of the ones that did get sick. This is just a hunch that I and some others have about the virus. Did you swim in the pools on the ship?

I didn't swim or go in the whirlpools at all onboard -- my two kids were in the pool for about two hours each day and both, thank goodness, were fine. Same with DH.

so, if people are getting on sick( as per okidoc's description) .......how in the world can disney beat this thing!!! And should they really be held liable for it? A similar virus is breaking out here......and just about everywhere else I hear. Sound like Disney can't win no matter what they do as long as people carrying the virus board the ship.:confused:

okidoc said debarkation day ... embarkation is the day people get on the boat. I'm sure some people are still getting on sick, though!

Hey mivvers - we were on the 12/8 Wonder too! You weren't by any chance a contestant on WWTBAM were you?

We didn't hear of anyone being sick except for a young boy (around 7 or 8) from the next table who missed dinner the last night. His grandparents said he was sick, but that he swallows a lot of water when he swims and the family all figured that was the problem.

There was an incident with a crew member though who had to be taken off the ship on Tuesday night because of appendicitis.

And talk about cleaning! You couldn't get away from it. When we were in Nassau we saw mattress after mattress being put into dumpsters. There were huge buckets of disinfectants everywhere. And the "hazmat" people were arriving as we were debarking at 8:45. It was kind of eerie seeing them marking in single file down the steps. I saw walls being scrubbed daily, carpets being shampooed, no salt/pepper/sweetener on the tables. Everything was handed to you at buffets, etc. Some of the servers at lunch told us that their workdays are longer because of all the sanitation procedures. They said every chair is sanitized after every meal, nothing gets reused unless it can be "sterilized".

Personally, we thought Disney was taking a lot of precautions on the Wonder, as well as what we heard about on the Magic.

DebbieR :earsgirl:

Hey Debbie, did you see me on stage???? I should have said WALRUS!!!! I actually posted about that as soon as I got back yesterday, I was so excited about it (even though it was nerve-wracking). When I mentioned the DIS boards, I hope you were one of the five people or so who clapped, I was surprised there weren't more.

I agree, they were taking a lot of precautions, which was good. One of the first things my daughter said when we went for lunch after boarding was that her chair at Beach Blanket smelled like chlorine ... DH and I smelled it too, and that was bleach alright!

Appendicitis, I was wondering what that was, we saw the boat come to take the person away, poor thing!

Isn't it hard to be home .... two loads of laundry down, two to go.

mivvers........:rolleyes: silly me.....thanks........(children, just ignore the nice lady sitting in the corner.......too much eggnog!):jester:

we cruised on the 12/5 wonder , and there was 6 of us and we did not get sick or see any sickness on board....
i bellieve that some people r going to get some form of sickness
could just be from traveling , change of diet or something
i do not feel that this is a real problem and it is just a regular thing that is happening , but people r just more aware of it at this time ............ peter

My kids and I remained perfectly healthy the entire cruise, but my dear friend was VERY ill soon after returning from Castaway Cay. She thought it was the ribs, but Linda (Nedleycan) told us that her son had eaten a TON of ribs and was fine. Like someone mentioned before, bacteria affects everyone differently, but I believe it was NOT the ribs. Fran also now believes it was not the ribs. Likely she did pick something up on the ship, but it's also clear that bacterias can and are picked up EVERYWHERE! Airports, malls, the knob on front door of your home. Fran vomited all night long (and had severe diarrhea), despite over the counter medications that were provided by the ships health center. They also sent, free of charge, a ton of bottled water and Powerade. Fran looked terrible, and was so weak- they finally gave her a shot of 'something' in the early morning hours and within a couple of hours Fran looked SO much better. She was able to eat a little something, I was amazed at quickly she bounced back (still not 100%, but a significant improvement). Last I spoke with her, she had an upper respiratory infection, like Tom, and I've not heard from her in days so pray she is okay.

There was a large group of developmentally disabled individuals on our cruise. One little girl with Downs appeared very sick when getting off the ship, I felt so bad for her. She was holding a cloth over her mouth. I really did not see a lot of sick people. They very well could have been in their cabins. For the most part, I saw people really having a good time.

So sorry your friend got sick. My DD had it yesterday, and we have not been on any trip! Just seems to be everywhere. Oh, it is not bacteria that is causing the problem but a virus(if it was the Norwalk). There are some stomach bugs that are bacterial, but they require antibiotics to lick and are seen in outbreaks too(and usually are traceable, like Shigellosis). That is why antibacterial products don't help get rid of viruses(like the Norwalk). Hope you were able to enjoy your trip:D !
Oh, the shot was probably some antinausea med similiar to oral Phenergan.

Well my children have a virus, no doubt. It's their doctors opinion as well, but my friend Fran may have ended up with illness that was both viral and bacterial. I finally did hear back from her this afternoon with this message:

I WENT FROM INTESTINAL, TO UPPER RESPIRATORY, TO FULL BLOWN PNEUMONIA, I AM TOO SICK FOR WORDS, AND AM ON 3 DIFFERENT PERSCRIPTIONS. I GO BACK MONDAY, TO SEE DOC. AGAIN, IF I DONT IMPROVE HE WANTS TO HOSPITALIZE ME FOR
ANTIBIOTIC FLUSH (INTERVEINOUSE). I DONT THINK I CAN STAND TO GO INTO THE HOSPITAL AGAIN, SO PLEASE PRAY FOR ME.

Fran suffered a stroke just a couple weeks before we cruised, so she is just really not looking forward to having to be back there. I SO feel for her. She also said that her doctor has stated he is treating a husband and wife for the same thing who came from the same cruise! My friend lives in Florida.

DebbieR: Why didn't you identify yourself with a lime green ribbon? I had mine, although I left it in my room when I went to WWTBAM, but it didn't stop me from saying hello to mivvers! Sorry we didn't meet.

I have to agree with Mivvers, the ship was certainly rocking a lot more than it did on my first cruise! I didn't get my "land legs" back until late Saturday. I was still trying to compensate for that "rocking" motion.

We didn't see anyone sick either, except for a teen-ager at our dinner table, and I would bet my next cruise on the fact that her problem is bulemia, not any virus (lots of indications, not just an idle guess on that one!)

I knew about the crew member with appendicitis, and on the last night I met the lady who fell off a bike on Castaway Cay and broke her arm, but she was taking it all in stride. She was chatting with Captain Henry while he was autographing things at Treasure Ketch.

All in all, it was great, and I can't wait for next December so I can do it again!

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter