12 Months of Medals: My 2015 (And Beyond!) Running Challenge

When you read a blog item or talk to a friend that has just finished a race - their first response is always "It was amazing!" or when you ask how their race went, the response will almost ALWAYS be "it was great!".

Both of those statements are lies. Running a half marathon (or even a greater distance than that) is not amazing. It's not even great.

It's also not fun or awesome or even the bomb.

The finish is the best.

SO TRUE!! It's about setting a goal and getting r' done. More power to you. I'm in Central Texas and running in June, July, August and September outside are BRUTAL. I don't think I could do your challenge without travelling and getting to one Disney race a year is hard enough being a SAHM and a DH in the military. You better beleive I will follow you though and cheer you on!!! :dogdance:

SO TRUE!! It's about setting a goal and getting r' done. More power to you. I'm in Central Texas and running in June, July, August and September outside are BRUTAL. I don't think I could do your challenge without travelling and getting to one Disney race a year is hard enough being a SAHM and a DH in the military. You better beleive I will follow you though and cheer you on!!! :dogdance:

Where are you in Texas?? I'm in North Texas (Fort Worth), but we spend quite a bit of summer time at our lakehouse in Hill Country or with family on the coast.

And thanks!! I'd love to meet up at W&D!!!!

Oh, wow! Belton/35 side? Or the other way? Are y'all as water logged as we are up here?

We are west of Belton and 35. Yes. We are soggy and have cabin fever :sad: Plus my kids are tired of hiding in the "tow-nado closet" :crowded:

:offtopic: Wanderlust: MLB Ballpark Edition

My husband travels quite a bit for work, and sometimes I'm lucky enough to get to tag along with him. One of my life "bucket list" goals is to visit every MLB ballpark, and this year - I'm scratching three of those off the list!

Two are in cities I've never been to, and one I haven't been to in a long, long, long while.

I'll generally be on my own to explore and what not, and will usually have one night to have a nice meal with the ole ball and chain when he's not working (he works in Sports, so he works nights covering games and things).

So, before I start bugging people on TripAdvisor, I figured I'd crowd-source any suggestions any of you may have about the following cities!

Cleveland (Staying at the Marriott Key Center). Wednesday through Saturday trip, with a Thursday day game between the Indians and Mariners. Really looking for a good sports bar within walking distance to either the ballpark or the hotel to watch the NBA Finals game that night (unless I can find a super cheap ticket to go to said game).

Cincinnati (Staying at the Millennium Cincinnati). Saturday through Wednesday trip, with Monday and Tuesday spent going to the Home Run Derby and MLB All-Star Game. Looking for Saturday and Sunday brunch suggestions - I'm kinda sensing brunch isn't as big of a thing in Ohio as it is in Texas? :confused3

Also - MLB is hosting an All-Star Weekend "Color Run". Gotta admit, the thought of running while people throw things at my face is not appealing. But should I put this past me and enjoy this potentially once-in-a-lifetime experience?

Boston (Staying at the Renaissance Waterfront). Wednesday through Saturday trip (leaving Saturday morning for a wedding in New Hampshire). Red Sox - Orioles day baseball game. Looking for bar suggestions around the ballpark for postgame beverages.

I have no suggestions for you, but can I just say how jealous I am??? I would love to get to go to the HR Derby and All Star Game! Huge, huge, huge baseball fan here (SF Giants, my hometown team, although I am now in Arkansas)!

Training Talk: DLH Week 5, W&D Week -6ish, Dopey Week -5ish
Weekly guide to my training!

Got my "Dopey Training" shirt today!! I'm so excited - going to wear it tomorrow for a little neighborhood run with some of my gal pals.

These are two friends of mine who are trying to get in shape and asked if they could come along with me on my short runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Since I'm doing 3+ miles/45 minutes right now until Dopey kicks in to much bigger weekly goals, I thought that would be a good time for them to "train" with me.

The most one gal has run ever is 4 miles, but that was about 16 months ago and she hasn't really done much since. The other gal has never really run before, but she cycles/bike rides a bunch and has lost quite a bit of weight since she started relying on her bike to get to and from everywhere she can these days. "I've always wanted to run, but I don't feel like I'm doing it right. I'm excited to see what someone who runs says!"

So, between my Dopey shirt and that sweet comment, I'm more motivated than ever.

For the girls, I'm thinking we're going to go with a slow 1/1 interval tomorrow - with no music. Just get moving and keep moving at comfortable levels where we can chat and figure out how we need to adjust things so we can all be comfortable. Then, maybe we can advance into more of a true "run group" after a couple of weeks. I need to put in miles, so even though this will be slower for me (I'm at a 3/1 to 4/1 right now - when I run using intervals), but it's about putting in the miles. I don't want them to try and come straight out and get frustrated and not want to run again ... or worse, get hurt.

This Week's Training Plan:
Monday:
Rest COMPLETE!!
Tuesday:
3+ miles/45 minutes (COMPLETE!! 3.2 miles, 38:56 minutes; 3 miles cycling)
Wednesday: 5 miles (COMPLETE!! 5 miles, 59:56 minutes)
Thursday: 3+ miles/45 minutes (Cut short due to slight knee pain)
Friday:
Rest (COMPLETE!!)
Saturday: 7 miles (This Week: Joe's Run 10K) COMPLETE!! Finished the Joe's Run 10K in 1:20:40.
Sunday: Cross-Training (This Week: 2 mile swim, 6 mile bike)

Recipe of the Week:
During the week, the husband and I try to eat lean protein and vegetables, with a minimal amount of carbs and little-to-no processed food. Each week, I'll highlight a recipe that I made and enjoyed that meets that criteria.
Butter Chicken Curry
This is basically a more herb-y version of Tikka Masala. I served it over brown rice that I seasoned with cilantro, salt and lime juice. Topped it with extra yogurt, cilantro and if you like it spicy - sliced serrano or jalapeno peppers.

What's New?
This week, I'll be testing out two pairs of new socks. On short runs, I'll be trying a new pair of Feetures No-Tab Elite Socks. For long runs, I'll be breaking in my new Pro-Compression Marathon socks.

Socks will be new to me. I run sockless in minimalist shoes (currently running in Inov-8 F-Lite 219s). I've run two half marathons and four 10Ks in these shoes, but I have noticed feeling a little "heat" on the soles of my feet as I hit the last mile of half or last quarter-mile of a 10K. I'm hoping that the socks will help with this.

This Week's Motivation/Inspiration:
92-year-old cancer survivor becomes oldest woman to finish marathon
Because. Damn. If she can do this, there's no way I can't do Dopey - or why YOU can't reach your own goal. Remember, the only person holding you back from what you want to do is ... YOU.

This Week's Question:
Be it a starting runner or a longtime runner ... what is the one piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out? What should an immediate, "quick win" goal be?

Last edited:
This Week's Question:
Be it a starting runner or a longtime runner ... what is the one piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out? What should an immediate, "quick win" goal be?

The best piece of advice I can give is to never compare yourself to others, we are all at different places in our running lives and if you are getting out there and doing it then you are already doing more than most people would do so don't make yourself feel worse by trying to compare yourself to others. as for an immediate goal find a race (5k, 1 mile, 100 meters anything) and just finish it don't worry about setting a time goal or anything just get across that finish line so you can experience that feeling

This Week's Question:
Be it a starting runner or a longtime runner ... what is the one piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out? What should an immediate, "quick win" goal be? - from Keels

LOVE this question! I'm really looking forward to everyone's answers.

The best piece of advice I can give is to never compare yourself to others, we are all at different places in our running lives and if you are getting out there and doing it then you are already doing more than most people would do so don't make yourself feel worse by trying to compare yourself to others. as for an immediate goal find a race (5k, 1 mile, 100 meters anything) and just finish it don't worry about setting a time goal or anything just get across that finish line so you can experience that feeling

Great advice since I find myself comparing myself to my husband all the time...

This Week's Question:

Pick a race far enough out to allow for adequate training, but only barely, and then register. Now - go tell everyone!

Telling everyone creates a level of motivation that gets you out the door when you might not otherwise do so - especially when running is new to you and seems so difficult. It will get easier, but only after you work at it. And knowing that you will have to tell everyone that you didn't finish or didn't run the race at all for some reason is not something that most of us will want to do.

So, again, tell everyone. You can do this, and the accountability will help you get there.

This Week's Question:

Don't set a "I have to do X first and then I can start running" goal. In other words, don't tell yourself that you have to lose 20 lbs...and THEN you can start running. Or "I have to just look good in shorts and THEN I can start running." Or "I need to eat healthy lunches for a month and THEN I can start running." I say JUST START RUNNING...and then it's easier for all those other goals to fall into place after you just start moving. You can even just walk or slow-jog or do intervals like I did.

Once I got over my own "BUT FIRST" mentality it made it so much easier to get into the groove of actually making my runs a multiple times a week habit.

My biggest "BUT FIRSTs" were looking good enough in workout clothes and it being warm enough outside. Phooey to those now...I look good enough and the gym is always the same temp!

Inspiration or Motivation?
I definitely get the apathy thing - after I finished my first race, I almost didn't want to run for the next month or so. And when we had insane cold and snow during the winter, the only reason I went out there is because I had the race coming up - running in bad weather is definitely hard, especially when you don't like the treadmill.
I think it's definitely important to have both motivation and inspiration - because on days when it's hard to go out there, one of those two will hopefully get you out for your run (or on the treadmill). And when your motivation isn't helping, maybe your inspiration will (and vice versa).

What's your Motivation? What's your Inspiration? Can you have both? Or just one?
For me, my motivation is usually running that next race. My current motivation is actually a bit further in the future - running my first half-marathon less than a month after my 30th birthday (I'm hoping to do DL Half September 2016). The problem with using races as my motivation is that when I'm not registered for a race, it's hard to get out there and run. But I know that motivation is something I struggle with in general.

My inspiration actually has two parts:
1) My dad, who ran 3(!!!) NYC marathons, and
2) People like you, who take on a challenge, despite the fact that others may think they can't (or shouldn't do it), and try to meet that challenge - whether you meet that challenge or fall short, it still really inspires me to see people taking on new challenges

For me, motivation works better than inspiration, but on days when I'm not feeling motivated, sometimes I can draw on my inspirations to get me out there for the run.

This Week's Question:

I'm pretty terrible at this, but just for fun...
The one piece of advice I'd give someone is to not measure themselves against anyone else and do what works for them. Each person is different and their process, progress, and results will be different.
The "quick win" goal I would suggest is just running - put one foot in front of the other and go. It doesn't matter how far you go or how fast you are - you've just taken the first steps. For me, the best first goal is to just go out there and do it once.

Don't set a "I have to do X first and then I can start running" goal. In other words, don't tell yourself that you have to lose 20 lbs...and THEN you can start running. Or "I have to just look good in shorts and THEN I can start running." Or "I need to eat healthy lunches for a month and THEN I can start running." I say JUST START RUNNING...and then it's easier for all those other goals to fall into place after you just start moving. You can even just walk or slow-jog or do intervals like I did.

This is SO true. If I made a list of things I needed to do before I started anything (not just running), I'd NEVER get anything done!

I think the weight loss thing is the real serious trap when it comes to starting a running mission. As long as you're running correctly and training correctly, you can run at any size and not get hurt. The bonus is actually running will help you accomplish those weight loss goals.

I would like to say that the most awesome thing to come out of this running mission and all these races and working out is a bangin' beach bod. But, I enjoy beer and cocktails and french fries too much and too often for it to make that drastic of a difference. BUT. I can tell that my body is changing - and I can tell a definite increased confidence in my body and appearance. This time last year, I would never wear short skirts or shorts that were shorter than capri length. That's all totally different this year.

I go back and think a little bit about when I joined my gym two months ago and they were actively trying to sell me on expensive personal training - they definitely used tactics that preyed upon females with lower self-images of themselves (like one guy asked me "Don't you think your husband would like it if you looked great in a swimsuit?"). Like, they couldn't understand that my fitness goals weren't tied to a number on a scale or a numeric size in clothing. I just want to be healthy, be fit and be strong enough to run a marathon - and I want to live to be 100 and then die in face-down in a plate of lobster mac and cheese. That's not asking too much, is it?

" I just want to be healthy, be fit and be strong enough to run a marathon - and I want to live to be 100 and then die in face-down in a plate of lobster mac and cheese. That's not asking too much, is it?"

You should probably finish the mac n cheese, wait until the chocolate cake comes for dessert.

For me, my motivation is usually running that next race. My current motivation is actually a bit further in the future - running my first half-marathon less than a month after my 30th birthday (I'm hoping to do DL Half September 2016). The problem with using races as my motivation is that when I'm not registered for a race, it's hard to get out there and run. But I know that motivation is something I struggle with in general.

Boy, I sure know this feeling! I enjoy the races, but it could turn into very expensive motivation rather quickly ...

" I just want to be healthy, be fit and be strong enough to run a marathon - and I want to live to be 100 and then die in face-down in a plate of lobster mac and cheese. That's not asking too much, is it?"

You should probably finish the mac n cheese, wait until the chocolate cake comes for dessert.

OH. Good thinking.

That's What Friends Are For ...

Yesterday, I got one of the sweetest gifts a gal could ask for.

After secretly talking to my Mom (behind my back!) and arranging things with her husband, one of my BFFs (Dr. S for those who read this journal!) will be coming out for Florida to support my Dopey Challenge.

S came out to cheer me on and watch me finish (very slowly, by the way), my first half marathon in March. As a doctor/physical therapist, she was originally concerned about the strain and wear & tear that training and Dopey would take on my body. But she knows me. And she knows that once I get an idea in my head, not a damn thing on this planet will stop me from accomplishing that goal.

She was originally planning to come out Wednesday and was going to buy a bib and do both the 5k and 10k with me, but after talking with my Mom, she's going to fly in the night before the Half so we'll have a little time together before I call it a night before the half (I figure the night before the 5k and the night before the half will be my two 'late' nights - like 10 p.m. bedtime or so), and be there to support me during the Half and the Full.

THEN. Because my Mom is a freaking-amazing-rock star-Best Mom in the World, the three of us will be going on a short celebration cruise leaving the Tuesday after marathon weekend! She thought I'd be ready for some laying around in the sun, some spa time and some cocktails with my favorite girls.

I can't wait.

Currently, my plan is to go into the parks after the 5k and full for indeterminate amounts of time. For the half, we're going to do a nice brunch and then keep it low-key so I can get my mind right and my body ready for the last leg of the Challenge.

S hasn't been to WDW since she was in college (she was lead twirler for the TCU band!), so I'm excited for her to explore it with me as an adult.

Thinking about doing an early dinner at either California Grill or Citrico's the evening of her arrival, though I'm also tempted to take her in to EPCOT to have dinner at one of the countries and maybe see Illuminations (it was at 9 p.m. last year). I think I can pull that off if I head back to the house after the 10k, have a nice brunch and then relax/nap/hang out in the pool for the majority of the day.

Also, thanks to my parents, I'm working with Disney Dining to see if we can get a couple of tables reserved at Cava del Tequila post-full marathon for a celebration of all my DisFriends running Marathon weekend. Once I get that locked down, I'll let everyone know details!

This Week's Question:

Just get out there and run. All of us started at the exact same place: lacing up our shoes for our very first run with no idea of what would happen. The most important run, though, is the third. It means you've gotten past the first one, survived the second, and are now on your way to making running a healthy habit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter