18th Birthday Trip…When I’m 20! - December 10-16, 2021 Trip Report at Portofino Bay Hotel!

TRIP REPORT: Day 2 - First park day! Cont.
While my mom and I were finishing up at the Leaky Cauldron, my dad left Diagon Alley to grab us a souvenir cup. The holiday design was cute, but I wish we could have had something that seemed a little bit more Universal themed.
14F2759B-5683-4EC1-8D74-014D537A00F5.jpeg

By the time my mom and I were finished with our meals at the Leaky Cauldron, my dad had already gotten back with our cup, so we all set off to explore Diagon Alley some. Our first stop was in Weasley’s Wizards Wheezes.
1113A8C6-EE37-4B53-AC10-E9123D06EA45.jpeg

After we left Wizard’s Wheezes, we went to go to find the owlery in Diagon Alley since I had forgotten to buy the post cards I wanted from the owl post in Hogsmeade. When we got to the Diagon Alley owlery, we realized the building was just a facade and the only place you could buy postcards was in the Hogsmeade owl post.
8DF5EEE6-5E16-4F88-A6DD-635C45A7CE75.jpeg

However, we were glad we walked over there because Celestina Warbeck and the Banshees had just started their performance so we got to watch them for a little bit.
187FB04D-A11B-4528-B953-FD1E151D6AF8.jpeg

The show wasn’t anything spectacular, but it was definitely enjoyable. They were all incredibly talented singers and dancers and the original Harry Potter songs were really well written with clever lyrics that any Harry Potter fan will appreciate. The snow that started falling during the show was also cool.
6F873571-F2D1-47A5-BDD2-ED3B21623E7B.jpeg

After the Celestina show, we headed over to Gringotts Bank to ride Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts.
6C6D4961-92CA-48B4-94DF-08E45EF3C153.jpeg

The ride itself was just okay. The roller coaster parts were fun and the screen immersion and storyline was cool, but it just seems that they would’ve been better off skipping so many story elements and just making this a really good indoor roller coaster. Or they could’ve even done something like Hagrid’s and made it mostly coaster with a few story elements. Even with Gringotts’ short comings as a ride, it still singlehandedly had one of the coolest queues I’ve ever seen. It looked exactly like the movies and the animatronic goblins were spectacular. I’m going to avoid including every picture I took of the queue because I took way too many, but here are a few.
C7FE2CC1-0557-4E31-896A-4FC1EBDBBDE2.jpeg
0FB51F84-E1BF-4DAB-A502-B07858252AD3.jpeg
0A97ED70-1E55-46A9-8529-246C38D9883A.jpeg

The pepper’s ghost effects in the preshow were also really well done.
CD7457A2-DF6F-4808-AE2A-A8D04DE18BC3.jpeg

After we rode Gringott’s, we left Diagon Alley and went to Men in Black in the World Expo. Before we rode MiB, I went to use the bathroom and after I got out and we were putting our stuff in our locker, I realized I had forgotten my wand in the bathroom stall. I ran back to the bathroom and saw someone exiting the stall I was in. They didn’t walk out with my wand so I ran into the stall after hoping it was still there, but it wasn’t. I started panicking thinking someone had definitely stolen my wand. I walked up to the sink area hoping I left it up there, but I hadn’t. While up there, I saw someone holding a wand box that looked like my wand, but I didn’t want to accuse them of taking mine in case it really was their’s. I was about to give up and just leave the bathroom until I overheard the family I saw holding the wand box that looked like mine talking about who they should ask about lost and found to give the wand to them. I rushed over to them and let them know it was my wand and I told them how thankful I was. They were incredibly kind for not just taking it and their kindness kept me from having made a $60 mistake.
After all of this chaos with the wand, I forgot to get a picture of MiB, but it was a really fun ride. My mom got the highest score in our cart with 171,000 and I was second with 90,000. My dad got one of the lowest scores in our cart at 13,000 and said he definitely won’t be asked to become a MiB agent anytime soon😂

When we got off of MiB, we went to get our stuff from the locker, and our ticket didn’t work to open the locker. We asked an attendant to help, but when he asked us our locker number, none of us could remember. So, then we had the fun game of him opening every locker asking us if that was our stuff. Moral of the story here is remember not only your locker section but also your number.

To be continued…

Loving the trip report! We are going to Universal for the first time and staying at PBH - so love the interesting info, pics, etc. etc. Hope you had a great rest of trip and get a chance to finish the report some time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter