• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 thumbs down for new “Turning Red” movie

OMG don't even get me started on Ariel! The Little Mermaid used to be my favorite as a kid, and now i'm like she's SIXTEEN and wanting to leave her entire life and literally give up her ability to SPEAK for some dude she's never met. King Tritan is the only sane one in this movie.
For real! When Elsa tells Anna "You can't marry a man you just met" she became my 2nd favorite Disney heroine (next to Belle who also took some serious convincing to commit).

I'm 19 and I honestly did not really like it. I thought there were some funny and some cute parts.
But, I felt as if 13 was not the right age? I was in 7th/8th grade when I was 13. Most of the "boy band phase" was in 4th/5th grade. I was definitely not still obsessing with boy bands by the end of middle school. At the same time, when I was in 7th/8th grade if my parents said no to a concert, I might beg them but I wouldn't have raised the money behind their backs. The rebellion phase is usually a little bit more into your teens, but I think you also find yourself in the beginning of middle school or high school (or at least try to although I'm in college and I still haven't) so fighting the "inner panda" probably wouldn't have happened at the end of middle school. Also, many of my friends started menstruating in 5th grade, so even that timeline is a little late. I feel like if the characters were supposed to be younger it would have been better?
I probably will never watch it again, but it also isn't the worst movie I have ever seen.

am I the only one who has been 13? There were definitely days where my friends were more important and “knew better” than my parents. To me at the time. This is a movie from a 13 yr old’s perspective and everyone seems bothered that she doesn’t behave the way adults think kids should behave. I think that means Pixar got it right?

Adults not liking how a 13 year old is portrayed because they dont see 13 years that way, because they identify more with the parents???

The secrets kids keep from adults, how they suppress their personalities and interests at home, how they put on a mask for family and make sure they dress and act a certain way at home, because thats whats expected of them. Some parents dont know their kids and many never will.

Just another thought, if parents are watching it with their teens, and the parents have a negative reaction, don't like the film, say something like, thats not as good as I expected, Mei Lee shouldnt have done that, do they really think their 13 / 14 / 15 year olds are going to say, well actually that's how I feel, I don't tell you things because you would react the same way as Mei Lee's mom, actually I have a notebook like Mei Lee does....

All I kept thinking of as I watched it, is the story a trans woman told me, how she knew from about aged 10 that she was trans, but she suppressed it and kept it hidden because she knew her parents would never accept it. She felt this guilt that she had to be the perfect son, because of her parents, thats what they expected. She only transitioned and came out when her parents died.

Most of the "boy band phase" was in 4th/5th grade. I was definitely not still obsessing with boy bands by the end of middle school.

I'm not gonna lie - I'm 33, and if NSYNC ever does a reunion tour i might be highly irresponsible & cash in some stocks to get the best seats I can 😆 the obsession might be buried under years and age, but it runs deep lol

I don't really understand those who lament that the 13 year-olds act irresponsibly. I mean, yeah, that's what 13 year-olds do! I don't think that the movie is profering that sneaking out and lying to your parents is "right" so much as it is saying that even when people make mistakes, the kids and the parents, we still forgive and love them.

I'm 19 and I honestly did not really like it. I thought there were some funny and some cute parts.
But, I felt as if 13 was not the right age? I was in 7th/8th grade when I was 13. Most of the "boy band phase" was in 4th/5th grade. I was definitely not still obsessing with boy bands by the end of middle school. At the same time, when I was in 7th/8th grade if my parents said no to a concert, I might beg them but I wouldn't have raised the money behind their backs. The rebellion phase is usually a little bit more into your teens, but I think you also find yourself in the beginning of middle school or high school (or at least try to although I'm in college and I still haven't) so fighting the "inner panda" probably wouldn't have happened at the end of middle school. Also, many of my friends started menstruating in 5th grade, so even that timeline is a little late. I feel like if the characters were supposed to be younger it would have been better?
I probably will never watch it again, but it also isn't the worst movie I have ever seen.

Really? Middle school was definitely the peak boy band years growing up. The TRL BSB/N'sync wars went on for years (TRL started when I was in 6th grade).

If you're 19, that puts your boy band phase in late elementary around One Direction time. I was in early high school at the time and we were all obsessed with them, so it's probably just a universal cultural thing for girls.
Internet says average age for first menstruation is 12, so that seems fine.

We liked it on our end, I feel like this is one of the first Disney Pixar movies with a defined decade in recent memory. I thought they did a good job representing the early 00's and that age group, it was kinda fun looking back and seeing some of the things we were crazed about (god damn tamagotchis)

Last edited:
I haven't seen it but it looks like it misses the mark to me. Red Pandas are small creatures so why does she grow giant sized? Maybe it explains it in the movie but hard pass for me based on this huge oversight by the creators/animators.
😜

Loved the movie! I graduated high school in 2002 and I went through phases of being obsessed with Hanson, Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, and N'Sync. One of my friends had satellite access to the MuchMusic channel, so we also fangirled over British and Canadian pop groups. And I had a Canadian pen pal for about 3 years in high school, and so little details (like calling Mei's hat a "toque" as Canadians do :D) made me smile. All in all, it's a nostalgic smile fest for me. Also, as a daughter and as a mom, I related to so many little struggles between Mei and her parents.

We didn’t like it much. DD10 thought it was funny though. I don’t think it was inappropriate. It definitely showed disrespect kids and even adults have towards each other, but that’s life in some cases. I don’t understand the feel good in the fact that she kept the panda since it’s not well controlled and she almost hurt another kid right before that. Uhhhh yeah when she gets angry again that should go well. Idk just a complete miss for me. Back to Encanto! Lol

I haven't seen it but it looks like it misses the mark to me. Red Pandas are small creatures so why does she grow giant sized? Maybe it explains it in the movie but hard pass for me based on this huge oversight by the creators/animators.
😜

It is somewhat explained in the movie.

It is somewhat explained in the movie.

Yes, to dive deeper, the Panda is a spirit granted to the women in the family, but it takes on a form that somewhat matches their personality. Meilin is mostly a very good natured and playful kid, so her panda is cute and cuddly. Her mom was seething with resentment and anger (because of her own mother's rejection of her choice in suitor), so her's was a big, mean monster. At least, that was my read on it.

Last edited:
I did not love this one but I am a parent to boys, so I cannot relate to the daughter angle. I loved the boy bands, and I was a BSB girl in high school. And then when 98 degrees came out they were dreamier.

anyhow, I love the animation style and can see the talent of the animators and graphic designers but this felt forced to me. But I also don’t love Inside Out, so I am in a minority here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter