• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2010 Princess Half Marathon and Flower & Garden Fest Trip!

I hate packing. There's no real reason for it. I'm just lazy. :confused3

Therefore, I'm always packing at the last minute. I mostly packed on Friday night, but I still had that last minute stuff to take care of in the morning. On Saturday, I got up at 3:30a to get ready and throw the last of the stuff in the suitcase. I double and triple checked everything (I get really paranoid when traveling, I think that I'm going to forget something important) and then I put my stuff in the car and off I went!

Driving through the city at 5am on a Saturday is kind of strange. Full of speed traps (drunk driving traps??) I made good time, but not TOO good of time because of all the police sitting around on the sides of the streets! My friend Lori beat me to the airport (she lives WAY closer to it than I do!) and she was waiting for me when I got there. We got through security very quickly since there weren't many people there.

I had tried to eat breakfast, but I did not have much success with that. I just wasn't hungry between how early it was and the fact that I was nervous. I don't like flying. This comes as a surprise to many people since I fly quite often, but it makes me anxious and I don't like when it gets bumpy.

2396137470106080727yNXMDf_ph-M.jpg

We were flying Southwest. This was my first time using them, and I was more than a little curious about how they loaded up the plane. I had checked in the morning before at the 24 hour mark and got an A boarding pass. (A24 I think). Their boarding strategy sounds odd, but it works pretty well. I got a window seat, which is what I wanted. I wanted to look out the window on the way, and really what I wanted to do was lean against it to take a nap. :laughing:

I DO like looking out the window of the airplane to see what is below. I like to try to guess exactly what is below me. I DON'T like flying over large expanses of water. Take a look at a US map. Guess what you fly over from Louisiana to Florida? The GULF OF MEXICO. That is a LOT of water! :headache:

The weather was supposed to be great this day, so flying should be nice. However, it was cold. As in, cold enough to need to de-ice the plane!

2993074040106080727cvKyRG_fs-M.jpg

It was funny when they announced it; a lot of people were talking about how they had never seen a plane get de-iced before!

After we took off and could turn on electronic devices, I took a few pictures from the plane. The first is of New Orleans. The river is the Mississippi and the neighborhood is Uptown. It's looking kind of southwest. The park on the top right of the picture is Audubon, where the zoo is! :goodvibes

2360817880106080727ofPcmx_fs-M.jpg

The next two are of the end of the Mississippi River! Plaquemines Parish! :teeth:

2033326940106080727hCnuJB_fs-M.jpg

2583082690106080727FjkvFl_fs-M.jpg

The flight was great. I didn't sleep, but I had my snack time and I listened to my music and looked out the window...at all that water...:scared: and then eventually I saw land again :cool1: and before I knew it, we were looking out the plane window at this:

2355530170106080727RxlImK_ph-M.jpg

We were supposed to land at 9:15. We were at the gate at 9:00! We got in 15 minutes early!! :woohoo: The captain was funny. He said something like "remember this the next time we're late. Just consider it even." :laughing:

Ahhh....the Orlando airport shuttle. :goodvibes
2967388860106080727UHArVV_ph-M.jpg

We went to look for the towncar. Somehow we got turned around and ended up on the wrong side of the airport, but we figured it out pretty quickly. (There's only two sides....if it's not on one, it's on the other. :idea:)

We were on our way quickly and it was not long before we saw this:

2335896580106080727jUFIxX_fs-M.jpg

The driver was telling us that they had to add those "Emergency Stopping Only" signs on the side of the road because so many people were stopping to take pictures that it was dangerous!

There's even a "No Parking" sign:
2256693390106080727IskGfD_fs-M.jpg

And no, we had nothing to do with the Mardi Gras beads hanging from his rearview mirror...honest.

Up next: My first visit to a Value resort - Checking into the All Star Sports Resort!

I have to say that just reading this last entry has me full of anticipation. I love the "arriving" part of TRs. So many possibilities. Time to truly leave the rest of the world behind you.

I confess, I've been steering clear of TRs since the breakup in October. I'm hoping yours gives me a nice easing-in point that I can get back to my own pics and notes and sort through them and separate the wonderful WDW part from the less-than-wonderful company part. No pressure, though. ;)

I kinda like packing. Unpacking on the other hand...not so much.

I had tried to eat breakfast, but I did not have much success with that. I just wasn't hungry between how early it was and the fact that I was nervous. I don't like flying. This comes as a surprise to many people since I fly quite often, but it makes me anxious and I don't like when it gets bumpy.

Same here. Can't eat for a few hours after waking up. Can't really relax enough to eat much on a plane.

[Up next: My first visit to a Value resort - Checking into the All Star Sports Resort!

Can't wait to see it!

Therefore, I'm always packing at the last minute. I mostly packed on Friday night, but I still had that last minute stuff to take care of in the morning. On Saturday, I got up at 3:30a to get ready and throw the last of the stuff in the suitcase. I double and triple checked everything (I get really paranoid when traveling, I think that I'm going to forget something important) and then I put my stuff in the car and off I went!

Driving through the city at 5am on a Saturday is kind of strange. Full of speed traps (drunk driving traps??) I made good time, but not TOO good of time because of all the police sitting around on the sides of the streets! My friend Lori beat me to the airport (she lives WAY closer to it than I do!) and she was waiting for me when I got there. We got through security very quickly since there weren't many people there.

Ahhh....the Orlando airport shuttle. :goodvibes

We went to look for the towncar. Somehow we got turned around and ended up on the wrong side of the airport, but we figured it out pretty quick. (There's only two sides....if it's not on one, it's on the other. :idea:)

We were on our way quickly and it was not long before we saw this:

The driver was telling us that they had to add those "Emergency Stopping Only" signs on the side of the road because so many people were stopping to take pictures that it was dangerous!

There's even a "No Parking" sign:

And no, we had nothing to do with the Mardi Gras beads hanging from his rearview mirror...honest.

Up next: My first visit to a Value resort - Checking into the All Star Sports Resort!

How I miss the Orlando Airport. I used to love to visit it in my younger years just to get to ride the train. It was as close to a "metro" feel I was gonna get. Thankfully, I got to go to that airport a lot.

Last minute packer... you??? Never :rotfl2: At least you didn't forget anything important.

Speed Traps at 5AM? I better watch out the next time I do an airport race that early in the morning. When we overslept once for my sister's flight, I made it to the airport in 18 minutes... DON'T ask how fast I was going... :scared1:

And I don't believe you had nothing to do with the towncar having Mardi Gras beads...not one little bit. I know you are trying to figure out what to do with the uglier ones :laughing:

Loving your report about your secret trip, but taunting your Yankee, beignet-deprived friends with beignets was just cruel! ;)

Can't wait to read about the event itself! (In other words, "More, please!")

I'm enjoying reading your trip report. It is getting me more excited about my upcoming trip:banana:

Nice job. Love the picture of monorail in the airport.

as most Dis'ers, i LOVE that sign. Funny, I noticed those No Parking and Emergency Stopping Only signs the last time i went through that sign- I didn't remember them as many time as I have gone under it in the last 2 months.

Looking forward to more!

Going to finidh reading Cara's report

Lori

I have to say that just reading this last entry has me full of anticipation. I love the "arriving" part of TRs. So many possibilities. Time to truly leave the rest of the world behind you.

I confess, I've been steering clear of TRs since the breakup in October. I'm hoping yours gives me a nice easing-in point that I can get back to my own pics and notes and sort through them and separate the wonderful WDW part from the less-than-wonderful company part. No pressure, though. ;)

I started reading your post and started thinking "no pressure". :eek:

:hug: to you!

I kinda like packing. Unpacking on the other hand...not so much.

Ugh. Unpacking. I took the most important stuff out of the suitcase, but it's sitting here next to me with a few things still in it. :rolleyes1

During last school year, I took 4 trips (only one to WDW!), each about 2 months apart. I never fully unpacked the entire year. :rotfl:

How I miss the Orlando Airport. I used to love to visit it in my younger years just to get to ride the train. It was as close to a "metro" feel I was gonna get. Thankfully, I got to go to that airport a lot.

Last minute packer... you??? Never :rotfl2: At least you didn't forget anything important.

Speed Traps at 5AM? I better watch out the next time I do an airport race that early in the morning. When we overslept once for my sister's flight, I made it to the airport in 18 minutes... DON'T ask how fast I was going... :scared1:

And I don't believe you had nothing to do with the towncar having Mardi Gras beads...not one little bit. I know you are trying to figure out what to do with the uglier ones :laughing:

I love trains. The train at the Denver airport was as close as I got for awhile. :rolleyes:

At least I wasn't rolling through security 10 minutes before boarding and still needing to buy food. Not that I've done that or anything... :rolleyes1

I'm not sure if they were speed traps or drunk driver traps or a combination of the two. 18 minutes, huh? :rotfl2:

:lmao: @ the Mardi Gras beads comment. :rotfl2:

Loving your report about your secret trip, but taunting your Yankee, beignet-deprived friends with beignets was just cruel! ;)

Can't wait to read about the event itself! (In other words, "More, please!")
I'm enjoying reading your trip report. It is getting me more excited about my upcoming trip:banana:

Nice job. Love the picture of monorail in the airport.

:welcome:

MamaPotts, I do blame the beignet addiction on you. It's really all your fault. This is just payback. :lmao:

More is coming. I've been uploading pictures while typing this. :thumbsup2

I love my coffee. I really, really love it. I start every morning with a nice big travel mug full of Community Coffee New Orleans Blend. :cloud9:

The Value resorts have no coffee pots in the rooms. Now you know why I haven't stayed at a Value before. It's true. That is the reason.

I've booked at a Value before, but with discount codes I'd always upgraded to a Moderate. I love the Moderates. They have more realistic theming, pool slides, slightly better locations, less rooms, closer bus stops (usually), a little more space, a little fridge, and a COFFEE POT, all for a still reasonable price (especially compared to a Deluxe! :eek:)

I really have nothing against the Value level of resorts, aside from slight anxiety about the bus situation...and the coffee pot. And yes, I know Nescafe is available in the food court.

Let's get something straight right here: Nescafe is NOT coffee. I don't know what it IS, but coffee it is NOT.

I considered packing a coffee pot in my luggage but nixed that idea. The thought of broken glass mixed into my clothes was :scared1: and I didn't want to risk it.

So anyways....I said I stayed at the All Star Sports Resort. I did. I actually stayed at a Value for the first time. And I did it all WITHOUT COFFEE. ALL WEEKEND. :faint:

WOW... no coffee all weekend. I am impressed, didn't think you could do it. Now to the resort please... I am dying to see the pics....

I was not going to use online check in. I wanted to check in the way I knew how, which is to show up at the hotel and tell the front desk you'd like to check in.

Then I thought to self...wait...this thing might save some time at the front desk. Visions of arriving at ASSp right after a Magical Express bus full of families with complicated requests danced through my mind. :scared:

The night before I left, I decided to try this new "online check in" thing. It was painless. I really don't remember much about it, but I was able to check a box to "request ground floor" and "request near bus stop". Remember that. ;)

We pulled up to the All Star Sports directly behind...wait for it....the Magical Express Bus!! :dance3: errrr....:rolleyes:

BUT! I had used ONLINE CHECK IN!! :cool2: I got to go in a separate, SHORT line. When I got to the front, they had my folder already prepared for me, with our room keys and our park tickets. (I got a special half marathon weekend rate on both the tickets and room; the tickets were not embedded into the room keys.) The room was ready! Before 10am! :cool1:

In the folder, there was a small resort map, a times guide, the little information booklet thing...the usual stuff. And something I hadn't seen before: a little pocket thing that had room for your room key on one side, and a fold up information packet/resort map folded up in the pocket.
2791117270106080727WhwjOj_fs-M.jpg

2831025430106080727kalfyU_fs-M.jpg

2004031100106080727fLHxAu_fs-M.jpg

On this one you will see where I added a little post it note pointing out our 3rd floor room in Building 8. We were in the baseball section. The bus stops are right in front of Stadium Hall. Not horribly far...but I wasn't going to pay for preferred, either! This was a budget trip!

2312254450106080727SVyurV_fs-M.jpg

I took a picture of our room number on my iPhone, because I wanted to make sure I remembered it after a long day at the parks. It's not like the end of the day is a pop quiz. You KNOW this test is coming at the end of the day. The picture is my cheat sheet in case I need it. :lmao:
2920321820106080727QJyqdb_ph-M.jpg

Now, y'all realize I'm doing this in multiple posts for Portocall! ;)

WOW... no coffee all weekend. I am impressed, didn't think you could do it. Now to the resort please... I am dying to see the pics....

Thanks! I didn't think I could do it either. But I really can't drink that Nescafe stuff. I've tried. No amount of cream and sugar can salvage that hot mess.

On a previous trip, I actually packed pre-measured coffee in filters in snack size ziploks and also pre-measured cream and sugar for the in-room coffee pot. This is SERIOUS STUFF here. :rotfl2:

grrrrrrrr... Thanks a lot Princess Piglet :rotfl: I guess I am gonna have to sneak a read tomorrow while I am at work... not so enjoyable reading that way

No, no. You misunderstood me COMPLETELY. ;) I have broken it down into parts so you would not have to wait so long in between!

Well, that and there's a limit on images per post. And a smiley = an image on the DIS.

Oh, and after having a computer eat some stuff I'd written earlier today, I'm more inclined to make shorter posts. :upsidedow

Part of the plan was to take pictures of the room at arrival, because we knew anytime after that it might not be as tidy! We were happy to find this when we opened the door:

2652375100106080727mrGJGM_fs-M.jpg

I'm just going to put a series of photos from the room. If I comment on them I will sound like Captain Obvious.
2192965780106080727SZwWMa_fs-M.jpg

2276449300106080727QGXtFo_fs-M.jpg

2525081920106080727INlQow_fs-M.jpg

2530379980106080727NUKSpk_fs-M.jpg

2169439870106080727YKxtsD_fs-M.jpg

2473263450106080727GcoHYb_fs-M.jpg

As soon as we checked in, we had gone straight to the room, where we dropped off our stuff, took our photos, gathered our park bags, and left for the bus.

On the way to the bus stop, I turned to take this picture. Our room was the 2nd from left on the 3rd floor.

2493693750106080727pRXlMC_fs-M.jpg

I took these photos throughout the trip while waiting at the bus stops:
2169354880106080727BTCUpM_fs-M.jpg

2444915990106080727JeIiPm_fs-M.jpg

2350615610106080727OFsNwC_fs-M.jpg

These two photos were taken from the room as we were leaving on the last day. :sad1: We were right above the baseball pool, but it was one of those things that I THOUGHT I took a picture of so I didn't want to "take another one of it". I have zero daylight pictures of the pool as seen from the room. :rotfl: Oops.

2150212860106080727uvXwsb_fs-M.jpg

2140377470106080727mJFLzH_fs-M.jpg

Yes, that's the football section the next building over.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!
;)

I hope you enjoyed the photos of the resort. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, but if I drive to WDW I'm totally bringing a coffee pot!

On this one you will see where I added a little post it note pointing out our 3rd floor room in Building 8. We were in the baseball section. The bus stops are right in front of Stadium Hall. Not horribly far...but I wasn't going to pay for preferred, either! This was a budget trip!

I took a picture of our room number on my iPhone, because I wanted to make sure I remembered it after a long day at the parks. It's not like the end of the day is a pop quiz. You KNOW this test is coming at the end of the day. The picture is my cheat sheet in case I need it. :lmao:

Umm, I know some may think I am crazy, but i LOVE the All Star Resorts, just love them- you got MY personal idea of a perfect room- top floor near the busses- I son't think it gets much better for my family. I like the top floor b/c there's no one above you and we know there are many kids at the value resorts. Top floor is my #1 priority. The rest I can deal with.

You know, there are such things as coffee pots without a glass coffee pot, right??? We have a B&D that comes with a big mug(like the Disney ones but stainless)- it serves whatever size the mug is- but bigger than 8 ounces-maybe 16oz. It was like $10 -15 at a Walmart/Target type place. I am ashamed to tell you we got rid of it:eek:, b/c Paul found one he likes better- and he's the only coffee drinker here. I could've given it to you. IF I found that we still have it I will give it to you and you can use it if you ever go 'value' again.

Lori

Thanks! I didn't think I could do it either. But I really can't drink that Nescafe stuff. I've tried. No amount of cream and sugar can salvage that hot mess.

On a previous trip, I actually packed pre-measured coffee in filters in snack size ziploks and also pre-measured cream and sugar for the in-room coffee pot. This is SERIOUS STUFF here. :rotfl2:

No, no. You misunderstood me COMPLETELY. ;) I have broken it down into parts so you would not have to wait so long in between!

Well, that and there's a limit on images per post. And a smiley = an image on the DIS.

Oh, and after having a computer eat some stuff I'd written earlier today, I'm more inclined to make shorter posts. :upsidedow
Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to fuss, I so took that the wrong way :hug:

I am so not shocked about your packing coffee.

Looking forward to more updates.

The Value resorts have no coffee pots in the rooms. Now you know why I haven't stayed at a Value before. It's true. That is the reason.

I didn't know that the Values didn't have coffee pots. That's a HUGE problem for me. I hardly open my eyes before drinking my first cup!

Let's get something straight right here: Nescafe is NOT coffee. I don't know what it IS, but coffee it is NOT.

Warm beverage masquerading as coffee.

I considered packing a coffee pot in my luggage but nixed that idea. The thought of broken glass mixed into my clothes was :scared1: and I didn't want to risk it.

Do you have coffee singles there? I know Maxwell House makes some here they look like a tea bag only its coffee. Hot water might be a problem unless you packed a small electric kettle or walked to the food court for it.

So anyways....I said I stayed at the All Star Sports Resort. I did. I actually stayed at a Value for the first time. And I did it all WITHOUT COFFEE. ALL WEEKEND. :faint:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Is that no coffee first thing in the morning or no coffee at all? :scared1: Did you get a powerful headache?

[BUT! I had used ONLINE CHECK IN!! :cool2: I got to go in a separate, SHORT line. When I got to the front, they had my folder already prepared for me, with our room keys and our park tickets. (I got a special half marathon weekend rate on both the tickets and room; the tickets were not embedded into the room keys.) The room was ready! Before 10am! :cool1: ]

That's awsome! If I ever get back I am going to do the onlince check-in!
Great that your room was ready too.

[I took a picture of our room number on my iPhone, because I wanted to make sure I remembered it after a long day at the parks. It's not like the end of the day is a pop quiz. You KNOW this test is coming at the end of the day. The picture is my cheat sheet in case I need it. :lmao:

Good idea. Up there with taking a picture of your section and row when you drive your car to the parks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter