• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2010 Princess Half Marathon and Flower & Garden Fest Trip!

And I did it all WITHOUT COFFEE. ALL WEEKEND. :faint:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Bethany, don't say such things. Just don't- too scary!! :scared1::scared1:

I couldn't live without coffee. DH is our "mug man" on vacation and will run to the food court to fill up with coffee before we have a "real coffee" later on when we get to the parks (coffee stand in Epcot, iced cappuccino at Sleepy Hollow, Starring Rolls in DHS- we've got our routine down. :laughing:) . All weekend?! :faint:

Part of the plan was to take pictures of the room at arrival, because we knew anytime after that it might not be as tidy! We were happy to find this when we opened the door:

I'm just going to put a series of photos from the room. If I comment on them I will sound like Captain Obvious.

The rooms look really nice! Were they recently reno'd? Did you find any difference between the comfort of the beds compared to the Mods?

Umm, I know some may think I am crazy, but i LOVE the All Star Resorts, just love them- you got MY personal idea of a perfect room- top floor near the busses- I son't think it gets much better for my family. I like the top floor b/c there's no one above you and we know there are many kids at the value resorts. Top floor is my #1 priority. The rest I can deal with.

You know, there are such things as coffee pots without a glass coffee pot, right??? We have a B&D that comes with a big mug(like the Disney ones but stainless)- it serves whatever size the mug is- but bigger than 8 ounces-maybe 16oz. It was like $10 -15 at a Walmart/Target type place. I am ashamed to tell you we got rid of it:eek:, b/c Paul found one he likes better- and he's the only coffee drinker here. I could've given it to you. IF I found that we still have it I will give it to you and you can use it if you ever go 'value' again.

Lori

I actually DID like that room location. It was good. :thumbsup2 And it was nice not having people walking above me.

You have to understand where I'm coming from with the first floor thing...Growing up, my parents always requested at least the 2nd floor, preferably higher. We RARELY if ever stayed on the first floor. Growing up, my bedroom was always on the 2nd floor. I'd never really slept on the first floor and for some reason thought it was a bad thing because we never stayed on the first floor. Then on my August 2007 trip to Caribbean Beach Resort, I got assigned to the first floor and it was fabulous!! I didn't have stairs, I could just walk right up to the door (or in my case, RUN out the door across the parking lot to catch the bus I could see was coming....yes, you read that right....RUN in AUGUST for a bus! :lmao:) So then I was preferring the first floor at WDW. Incidentally, that CBR trip was the ONLY time I've ever been on the first floor. :confused3

Now that I LIVE on the first floor, it's less of a novelty. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Yes, I was aware that other coffee pot options exist, but I didn't look into any before the trip.

Ah, sorry. Didn't mean to fuss, I so took that the wrong way :hug:

I am so not shocked about your packing coffee.

Looking forward to more updates.

It's okay! I was messing with you a bit. ;)

I didn't expect you to be shocked. :laughing:

I didn't know that the Values didn't have coffee pots. That's a HUGE problem for me. I hardly open my eyes before drinking my first cup!

Warm beverage masquerading as coffee.

Do you have coffee singles there? I know Maxwell House makes some here they look like a tea bag only its coffee. Hot water might be a problem unless you packed a small electric kettle or walked to the food court for it.

Is that no coffee first thing in the morning or no coffee at all? :scared1: Did you get a powerful headache?

I am fine to get rolling in the morning without it. I actually don't usually drink my coffee until after I get to work - about 2 to 3 hours after I wake up! I just ENJOY drinking my coffee! I do get a headache if I don't drink it though. I also used to get caffeine headaches at about 11:30 and in the afternoon/evenings from the lack of my Coke. But I have cut WAY back on drinking Coke and no longer get the headaches.

:rotfl: @ warm beverage masquerading!

Yes, I we do have coffee singles and instant coffee and all that. I considered taking it but also ran into the "how to warm up the water" issue.

On this trip, I substituted Coke. Lori brought a collapsible cooler and I brought ziplock bags that I filled with ice and I put a bottle of Coke in it overnight so it'd be pretty cool in the morning. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do! :rotfl:

I am sorry to say that I am not adding an update tonight. I'm trying to cut back on computer time a little bit and get some organizing done around the house. I need it organized for my peace of mind!

I'm aiming to add the next installment either tomorrow or Friday, and thanks for all the comments! It's good to know I have readers who are enjoying this!

Next up: The Race Expo at the Wide World of Sports! :cheer2:

That's awsome! If I ever get back I am going to do the onlince check-in!
Great that your room was ready too.

Good idea. Up there with taking a picture of your section and row when you drive your car to the parks

I was extremely pleasantly surprised that the room was ready! I had assumed we would need to do bag check, but that was not the case!

Yes, I also had a picture of the parking garage at the New Orleans airport! :lmao:

Bethany, don't say such things. Just don't- too scary!! :scared1::scared1:

I couldn't live without coffee. DH is our "mug man" on vacation and will run to the food court to fill up with coffee before we have a "real coffee" later on when we get to the parks (coffee stand in Epcot, iced cappuccino at Sleepy Hollow, Starring Rolls in DHS- we've got our routine down. :laughing:) . All weekend?! :faint:

I am SO going to have to get this list from you the next time I go. I like your funnel cake routine too!

The rooms look really nice! Were they recently reno'd? Did you find any difference between the comfort of the beds compared to the Mods?

I believe they were reno'd within the last couple years. I know they don't match the pictures that I saw online from a few years ago. I will say, the photos of the All Stars (especially the exteriors) did nothing for me. They look WAY better in person!

I did not notice the bed comfort; I slept fine. I am really the wrong person to ask about this. I can sleep just about anywhere. (This will become evident as this trip report goes on!)

Bethany... I totally hear you on the first floor at WDW. I hated the stairs at the end of a long day. :headache: That said, I did enjoy my view better up higher. :goodvibes

Lorie. Having done both a value and a moderate, and I tend to NEED to be comfortable to sleep unlike Bethany :snooty: I will tell you that I slept fine at both classes of resorts, however, I did notice that I loved the bed at POR :love:, where at the value it did the job and I didn't love or hate it.

Take all the time you need now.. I was just looking forward to the room pics since I can't even entertain a stay at a value for a few years now that we outgrew them. :flower3:

And I do not like first floor- even in apartments we've lived in- I find them TOO accessible:rotfl:. Now in Disney, I don't think I'd worry about that as much as noise level of the people above you and the people walking around. There ARE elevators at the values!

We had a choice b/t 1st and 2nd floor at the temp apt we were in- of course, we picked second-but there were no elevators! Thankfully, it was only a month of my life.

Whomever asked about beds- I stayed at a mod too long ago to remember, but i do think the mattresses are firmer (no fluff) at the values, but I could be sooo wrong. But the matresses are not cheap, as in, there is no sinkage in the middle or anything like that. That would be a good thing to post on the boards!

Looking forward to more!

Lori

And I do not like first floor- even in apartments we've lived in- I find them TOO accessible:rotfl:. Now in Disney, I don't think I'd worry about that as much as noise level of the people above you and the people walking around. There ARE elevators at the values!

We had a choice b/t 1st and 2nd floor at the temp apt we were in- of course, we picked second-but there were no elevators! Thankfully, it was only a month of my life.

Whomever asked about beds- I stayed at a mod too long ago to remember, but i do think the mattresses are firmer (no fluff) at the values, but I could be sooo wrong. But the matresses are not cheap, as in, there is no sinkage in the middle or anything like that. That would be a good thing to post on the boards!

Looking forward to more!

Lori
Lori, you are too funny!!!! I always stayed in the first floor when we were at the All-Stars, but not because I asked for it, just where they put us. I never heard a sound out of our upstairs neighbors there. Maybe we were just lucky not to have a room full of excited kids above us. I found myself wishing the Alligator Bayou section of POR had elevators. Mostly because I get some nasty joint pain and those stairs became killers :upsidedow

I love the first floor for the same reason you don't... I like my room being easily accessible for me :rotfl:

I will second that you are right about the mattresses at the values being a good quality mattress. They were comfortable Lorie, trust me, I wouldn't be able to sleep if they weren't.

Bethany... I totally hear you on the first floor at WDW. I hated the stairs at the end of a long day. :headache: That said, I did enjoy my view better up higher. :goodvibes

Take all the time you need now.. I was just looking forward to the room pics since I can't even entertain a stay at a value for a few years now that we outgrew them. :flower3:

The All Stars do have elevators. The Coke can in the pictures had stairs that were right next to our room. The elevators are in the center of the building (the buildings are shaped like a T and they are at the "intersection") and they were not out of the way. We did use them, even though I don't really like elevators.

I am taking my time. ;) I know I said I was going to try to get the next installment up last night. As you can see, that didn't happen, but I'm getting started on it in the next few minutes.

All you wanted was room pictures? I can end this report right here? :confused3 :lmao: No worries....we are just getting to the good parts!

Oh oh oh how I love a good trip report. Lovin it!!!! Thanks.

:welcome: I'm glad you're lovin it!

Had I had a choice, I probably would have picked the 2nd floor for this apartment, even though there are no elevators at this complex.
I do have to say, it's great not having stairs for the many times Anabelle wants to go outside! Also, I'm sure my energy bill is lower than the 2nd floor. My apartment is like a little cave - I have neighbors on all walls but one.

Okay...I need to go upload the next batch of photos so I can type up the next installment!

In the last installment, we had just checked in to our room, grabbed our stuff, and left to go to the bus stop. Before we left, I took pictures of the front and back of our park tickets.

2692658390106080727BhZaVM_fs-M.jpg

I took the Pluto one and Lori took the Donald one. We also took pictures of the backs because I have heard that if you lose your park tickets, they can pull up the information on them if they have the numbers from the back and re-issue the tickets with the remaining value. I have never had to test this theory, but I took a picture just in case.

If you recall, our plane was supposed to land at 9:15 but we actually landed early at 9:00. We were at the bus stop to go to the Expo at 10:25! :woohoo:

It turns out the buses to/from the Expo to/from the host resorts ran on the half hour. We only needed to wait a few minutes for the bus! The Expo was at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. I'd never been there before. It's really nice! I only have this one picture of it:
:confused:

2998775260106080727oHPvkd_fs-M.jpg

I was taking photos as we were walking; it was crowded and we didn't want to spend a lot of time HERE, we wanted to go to the parks!! I've taken better pictures before, although these are not as bad as I thought earlier. :laughing:

2137249910106080727PPggLT_fs-M.jpg

2281907790106080727CqkhRF_fs-M.jpg

The atmosphere at this place was very exciting. People were there for a bunch of different reasons. There was a high school event - something with softball/baseball and also something with dance teams. We could see some of them and their families walking around. The fun run for children was that morning, and there were many kids walking around with their finishers' medals and their families. Also, I heard that spring training for the Atlanta Braves (I think?) was going on and there was a game later that evening at the ballpark at the Complex.

The Expo was in the Jostens Center. Every participant in the race needed to attend in order to get their race stuff and turn in the waiver. This could not be done the morning of the race. They also had several booths of companies that sell running-related merchandise and/or services. They also had a stage and chairs for a "Speaker Series"; they had people talking about different aspects of running and training. We didn't stay to take advantage of the speakers, but it's cool they had it.

2827118270106080727yZLIdt_ph-M.jpg

The "Official Storybook Program" had a map of the Expo. The entry was on the left, the big box is the official Disney Merchandise area. The little boxes all over the middle are the vendors. The registration area is all the way to the right of the map.

We entered on the 2nd floor and saw this:
2697702220106080727uhzDEA_fs-M.jpg

In the front is the merchandise area, it was quite crowded and had a very long line. I wanted to get the "I Did It!" shirt and also needed to get my bag of stuff, which included the race bib. You can see a long line of white light in the back of the earlier picture. I needed to go over there.

Lori and I decided to split up to fight the crowds easier. I gave her the cash for my shirt from the merchandise area and she stood in line while I did the other stuff.
Front of shirt:
2434709170106080727RoErjf_ph-M.jpg

Back of shirt:
2621298640106080727CNXBgt_ph-M.jpg

I knew my race number from looking up some information online and from printing out my "I won't sue you" waiver that I needed to submit in order to receive my bib number and other stuff.

2725534880106080727ZOIVzp_fs-M.jpg

We got a mesh bag with some pamphlets, the bib, safety pins, a camera, and the pin that I had pre-ordered when I signed up for the race. We had to pick up our shirt and a pair of socks at another station, and to get there we had to walk over some floor mats. On the back of our bib was a tag that later we attached to our shoes that tracked our official time in the race. We had to test the tags in the Expo by walking over mats that were the same as in the race.

By the time I was done and got back to the front where the merchandise section was, Lori was just finishing. Splitting up was a fantastic plan! When we were done, I took a few pictures of the Expo on the way back up the stairs:
2680613560106080727fgKAZl_ph-M.jpg

2601083210106080727zorVla_ph-M.jpg

At this point, we left the Expo and the ESPN Wide World of Sports to head back to the resort to drop this stuff off. It wasn't much, but I didn't want to risk losing it in the parks during the day.

On the way back to ASSp, we really lucked out with the bus AGAIN! It was almost 11:30 and the bus was just pulling in and we made it! NO wait! :woohoo:

Up next...some photos of the stuff I got at the Expo, and then on to Animal Kingdom!

Here are some of the things that I got at the Expo:

Bib and shirt. Some people wore the shirt during the race, but I didn't want to wear a shirt I was unfamiliar with for that long.
2243778990106080727gLAvIA_ph-M.jpg

This is the mesh bag. If you did bag check, you were supposed to use it with a zip tie that they included. It's a cute little bag!
2909962940106080727ohlGlq_ph-M.jpg

Here is the camera they gave us. It has a cute Disney design on the outside. I didn't use it during the race because my little digital camera has a wrist strap. I'm sure I'll find something around town to take photos of using it!
2407482120106080727iXcoGi_ph-M.jpg

This is a close-up of the pin I bought. I believe this is the first Disney pin I have actually ever BOUGHT. The way I see it, the pin craziness is a slippery slope! I am afraid to buy ONE to start some sort of "series" because one leads to another leads to.....:faint:
2075645740106080727TlwcEB_fs-M.jpg

Here is a picture of my pin lanyard. You can see that I don't have many pins, but for someone who has only bought ONE, it's a decent amount!
2636699950106080727CpAVIL_ph-M.jpg

I didn't get caught by the Dream Team. Someone else did and they gave it away to a friend, and it ended up mine! :goodvibes (Thanks MamaPotts!)

2291086220106080727zBsfvP_ph-M.jpg

The lanyard came with the two Million Dreams pins. The Princess one above it is the one I bought. The Norway one above it was a gift from someone at work. She just went a couple weeks ago. Before she went, she was asking me about it, so she brought back a set of pins from the World Showcase. She let me pick from Norway, Mexico, and Japan. I picked Norway because my family has some Norwegian blood for one, and for two because I like the ride and pavilion. We would eat at that bakery on every trip. We would get lefse.

The 2000 pin, the Nemo/Turtle Talk pin, and the What Will You Celebrate pins were all part of packages and/or promotions of some sort. The Hero Award pin was a gift from somebody else at work. :goodvibes

Lefse looks like a tortilla, but it doesn't taste the same. You put butter and cinnamon sugar on it and roll it up. It's eaten cold. Here is a lefse photo from my WDW Stock Photo Collection. ;) (August 2006)
Day%207%20-%20074-M.jpg

Oops! Looks like I've gotten a little off topic. :upsidedow After we dropped our stuff off in the room, we went straight back to the ASSp bus stop to catch a bus to the Animal Kingdom!

Oh Wow! You are on the ball today! The Expo looked crowded. But that is a very efficient way to do things. I love the ride at Norway too. I made my family go on that one. I just wish I made them ride the ride at Mexico too. As cheesy as that one is, I love it. Plus, having spent so much time in Mexico I now recognize many of the places they show on it. The first time I rode the ride in Norway, I was terrified of it... never eaten there though. I look forward to one day going to Epcot alone so I can take in the World Showcase at my speed. Sad, isn't it?:laughing:

Great report. I wish we were back there now. Thanks for inviting me. I had a great time. We were so busy I think we only got to watch Stacey once...lol.

Thansk for stopping by my TR! I can't wait to hear all about the Princess Half! I would love to run it one year! I love the Princess I did it shirt! I wasn't too fond of the I did it Marathon weekend shirts so I made my own in the Design a Tee shop in DtD! lol!!

All I have to say is....

WHO DAT?!

:cheer2::cheer2:

I am enjoying your report. I love all of your pictures.

I am laughing about the coffee. DH takes his coffee very seriously. That's his only complaint when we go to Disneyworld.

By the way, he says the best coffee he's had at WDW is at Tony's Town Square.:thumbsup2

Can't wait to read more.

Great report. I wish we were back there now. Thanks for inviting me. I had a great time. We were so busy I think we only got to watch Stacey once...lol.

The temporary corp apt we were in for a month had Stacey on 24/7- I thought she was reserved for on property but there she was! Even my kids tease about crazy Stacey.

it was great to meet you, Lori!

Bethany- you crack me up girl! I am enjoying the TR and love al your goodies from the race

Lori

Oh Wow! You are on the ball today! The Expo looked crowded. But that is a very efficient way to do things. I love the ride at Norway too. I made my family go on that one. I just wish I made them ride the ride at Mexico too. As cheesy as that one is, I love it. Plus, having spent so much time in Mexico I now recognize many of the places they show on it. The first time I rode the ride in Norway, I was terrified of it... never eaten there though. I look forward to one day going to Epcot alone so I can take in the World Showcase at my speed. Sad, isn't it?:laughing:

I was on the ball the other day....to make up for the mid-week slump! :lmao:

I've ONLY had the lefse at the Kringla Bakery. I was scared of the ride too the first time I rode it. Granted, I was in elementary school still and thought we were going over that cliff.

:welcome: to my trip report! This, folks, is the Lori I keep mentioning...the one that was on the plane with me and shared the room with! Lori, feel free to jump in and add your comments about the trip....maybe share some pictures too!

I was thinking about missing the Stacy show the other day. I know we were talking on the way to WDW about watching her Top 7 things show. Top 7...haha the 4 parks + the 2 water parks + 1 DTD = 7 things. :lmao:

Thansk for stopping by my TR! I can't wait to hear all about the Princess Half! I would love to run it one year! I love the Princess I did it shirt! I wasn't too fond of the I did it Marathon weekend shirts so I made my own in the Design a Tee shop in DtD! lol!!

All I have to say is....

WHO DAT?!

:cheer2::cheer2:

:welcome:

I've been enjoying your report! I like reading about other people's race experiences. People have already talked to me about doing the Princess next year, but so far I'm not planning to. It's the same weekend as Mardi Gras!

That is a brilliant idea to make your own shirt! I hope I'll get to see a picture at some point!

WHO DAT?!? WE DAT!!! :cheer2:

By the way, I think if you click on any of the pictures in this report (except the "stock photos", it will take you to my Webshots and you can click on other albums. I have some photos (need to upload more still) of Bourbon Street after the Superbowl! Yes...I was there! CRAZINESS!!!

I am enjoying your report. I love all of your pictures.

I am laughing about the coffee. DH takes his coffee very seriously. That's his only complaint when we go to Disneyworld.

By the way, he says the best coffee he's had at WDW is at Tony's Town Square.:thumbsup2

Can't wait to read more.

Thanks for the compliments. :goodvibes

I didn't used to be this picky about my coffee. I really wasn't. I could take it or leave it. Not anymore! :rotfl2:

Tony's Town Square...like, the TS restaurant on the right side when you first enter the MK?

The temporary corp apt we were in for a month had Stacey on 24/7- I thought she was reserved for on property but there she was! Even my kids tease about crazy Stacey.

it was great to meet you, Lori!

Bethany- you crack me up girl! I am enjoying the TR and love al your goodies from the race

Lori

WOW! That was the best thing about that temporary housing, huh? :rotfl:

I'm so sad we ALL forgot to take photos of us that night! Duh! :rolleyes: Thanks for the compliments! I'm glad you're enjoying it! :goodvibes

Okay I had full intentions of adding an installment or two tonight. I have NO IDEA where the evening went?? :confused3

Yes, Tony's is in Magic Kingdom. We've been eating at that restaurant on almost every trip since the kids were small.

Ok, so guess what? It looks like I forgot to sub so I've been missing your updates:rolleyes1 I do that ALL the time!!!! I am caught up and ready for more. Where are you?!?!?

I started my TR a while back. You should come check it out. Lots of pics!!! :thumbsup2

Ok, so guess what? It looks like I forgot to sub so I've been missing your updates:rolleyes1 I do that ALL the time!!!! I am caught up and ready for more. Where are you?!?!?

I started my TR a while back. You should come check it out. Lots of pics!!! :thumbsup2

:scared1: It's been a MONTH since my last update! :faint: I'm sorry!

I've been around! This TR has been on my to do list! I hope to get some updates up this weekend....we are just getting to the good parts of the trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter