2018 Disney Dining Plan Prices & General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to DX DDP. Am I to understand this correctly... There is no distinction between a child and adult table service meal on the plan? I just trying to wrap my head around keeping track of all our meals. So if we stay 9 nights. 1 adult 2 kids have the DX DDP that's a total of 81 credits. Not 27 adult meals 54 children credits. 81 total would make life so much easier..... So when I sit down and if we have an extra person like if my cousin from FL joins us in TRex I can possible pay for his meal in our plan by using 4 credits? Soooo confused

I am new to DX DDP. Am I to understand this correctly... There is no distinction between a child and adult table service meal on the plan? I just trying to wrap my head around keeping track of all our meals. So if we stay 9 nights. 1 adult 2 kids have the DX DDP that's a total of 81 credits. Not 27 adult meals 54 children credits. 81 total would make life so much easier..... So when I sit down and if we have an extra person like if my cousin from FL joins us in TRex I can possible pay for his meal in our plan by using 4 credits? Soooo confused

Yes, your understanding is accurate now. I don't believe they have changed this yet for the 2018 Deluxe Dining Plan. Folks, please correct me if you've heard otherwise.

(Not to say they *will* split deluxe credits into adult/child, but that if you are planning a trip for 2018 or beyond, definitely keep an eye out for any new announcements!)

How will this work on a Dec 27-Jan 3 trip. If I got the dining plan am I charged as the 2017 or 2018 or does it literally change on Jan 1. Would the free drink also start on Jan 1 or do we think it would only be on a trip that starts in 2018?
I had to make two separate reservations for our Dec 31-Jan 8 trip in order to have the 2018 dining plan. I put the room and 2017 dining plan on the one night (Dec 31) and then our room, 8 day tickets, and 2018 dining plan on the second reservation. I will simply have to activate our tickets (that are on our second reservation) when we check in on the 31st.

Last edited:
I had to make two separate reservations for our Dec 31-Jan 8 trip in order to have the 2018 dining plan. I put the room and 2017 dining plan on the one night (Dec 31) and then our room, 8 day tickets, and 2018 dining plan on the second reservation. I will simply have to activate our tickets (that are on our second reservation) when we check in on the 31st.

Thank you for this!! I believe this is a first and probably a result of last year's QS change that allowed everyone to still get dessert for two weeks. They learned something!

So, I am constantly reading on these forums and blogs that signature restaurants are a terrible use of two dining credits. I can see how ordering a plain chicken or veggie dish at one of these restaurants can make that true. But I'm not understanding why this is always the case. Especially at places like Yachtsman where the entree alone is easily $50-$70+++ or even the brunch at California Grill, which looks amazing and includes lobster benedict and bottomless mimosas, doesn't that make them a value at two credits? What am I missing? I haven't been since 2013 so I don't remember how it worked then, but I am currently planning our honeymoon for Feb/Mar 2018 and am debating whether we are going to add the dining plan, or even the deluxe. Help! lol :confused3

Ok... what it boils down to is that prices at a signature generally aren't double the prices at a standard single-credit restaurant (on the whole, there are likely specific exceptions here). So that means that using 2 credits on a signature is axiomatically less of a value than using the same 2 credits on single credit meals.

In practice, this means that signatures are generally a bad idea on basic DDP, because it's hard enough for adults to hit the break even point on a regular basis for single credit meals unless you're ordering specifically to maximize value.

Deluxe is a different animal. It's actually hard to not exceed the break even point on most single credit meals, unless you're leaving entitlements unused. (Non-buffet breakfasts are typically exceptions, as breakfast just tends to be that much less expensive.) So taking a "lower value" signature might reduce your overall plan savings, but not by enough to make you lose money, and it's a good way to use up all of those credits without being so stuffed you can't use them all.

And Cali Grill brunch is an excellent use of 2 deluxe credits - not a huge savings, but you will come out slightly ahead and completely satiated.

They don't, and as many of us have said, most places that DO have milk shakes and smoothies have already been giving them to DDP users, so that inclusion is really no benefit at all. The only new benefit is the alcohol. So anyone aged 10-20 is basically paying more to get the same they've always had, thereby subsidizing for those 21 and over who will now get alcohol.

Sorry if I missed it, but has there been any discussion as to whether this expansion would include non-alcoholic drinks in souvineer cups or with glow cubes? If so that would be a non-alcoholic addition that to my knowledge was not previously allowed anywhere.

Sorry if I missed it, but has there been any discussion as to whether this expansion would include non-alcoholic drinks in souvineer cups or with glow cubes? If so that would be a non-alcoholic addition that to my knowledge was not previously allowed anywhere.

No one knows. It's not specified, so looks like we'll have to wait until January to see just what non-alcoholic specialty drinks they're talking about.

This is something that has been alluded to by other posters:-

Where there is a selection of beers on offer (ranging from industrial beers like Bud Lite to, for example, a craft beer like Fat Tire) then does anyone have a sense of how Disney will handle the alcoholic drink credit?

I see three possibilities:-

1. There is a designated house beer, house white wine, house red wine etc and an approved list of speciality drinks and whatnot. You would be only able to order Bud Lite or another industrial beer in many cases. Order an alternative and you pay the full sticker price.

2. Disney let you order any beer on tap, price differences are not considered just as the dining plan does not consider the difference between food items in terms of their sticker price.

3. There is a designated house beer etc. but if you order a more expensive alternative then there is a supplement i.e $3 or whatever.

This is a trifling matter but the craft beer nerd in me wants to know.

As far as the whole "gates of hell" thing goes, I can understand why some people might be concerned that this could change the tenor of the park and peoples' behaviour, but I do think those fears are unfounded. As mentioned by another poster the truth is that people who were going to drink were going to drink anyway, I don't think this is going to cause an overall increase. If it is just 1-2 drinks over the course of the day while at the park then really the effect is negligible anyway. If I did this dining plan I would not be saying to myself "Oh, well I've had my dining plan drink, now I must have ANOTHER drink".

With that said, even as someone who likes a beer on holidays, something that I did appreciate was the lack of alcohol in the Magic Kingdom (for the most part, I think there's one place where alcohol can be ordered IIRC) - it seemed to gel with the overall wholesome vibe more.

I have the same question as the Irishman. I'm OK with the house wine, but I can't drink crap beer. If the beer option is only the standard light American lagers (BudMilloors) then this is no value to me. If I can get an IPA, then I might consider it. But if they are not going to tell me, then how do I decide?

I have the same question as the Irishman. I'm OK with the house wine, but I can't drink crap beer. If the beer option is only the standard light American lagers (BudMilloors) then this is no value to me. If I can get an IPA, then I might consider it. But if they are not going to tell me, then how do I decide?

If you're going Jan 1, then you'll probably have to take your chances. Once this begins, I'm sure there will be MANY reports back here as to what you actually receive.

I actually emailed Disney to pose the question to them, and I got a response this evening which was non committal but fairly positive. They said that that it would apply to "most" alcoholic drinks, but that the offer might be excluded from certain products at their discretion.

I'm guessing that you won't be able to order glasses of good champagne or 10% ABV imported belgian beers, but I'm guessing that most wines and most beers on tap will be fair game.

I actually emailed Disney to pose the question to them, and I got a response this evening which was non committal but fairly positive. They said that that it would apply to "most" alcoholic drinks, but that the offer might be excluded from certain products at their discretion.

I'm guessing that you won't be able to order glasses of good champagne or 10% ABV imported belgian beers, but I'm guessing that most wines and most beers on tap will be fair game.

To me that says that they don't really know. It will be interesting to see how this plays out with the non-Disney owned restaurants and their DDP contracts for next year. If Disney doesn't put a little more definition to this, I see either a lot of unhappy guests who thought they were getting something more or several restaurants no longer participating in the plan, which would also lead to some unhappy guests.

So, I am constantly reading on these forums and blogs that signature restaurants are a terrible use of two dining credits. I can see how ordering a plain chicken or veggie dish at one of these restaurants can make that true. But I'm not understanding why this is always the case. Especially at places like Yachtsman where the entree alone is easily $50-$70+++ or even the brunch at California Grill, which looks amazing and includes lobster benedict and bottomless mimosas, doesn't that make them a value at two credits? What am I missing? I haven't been since 2013 so I don't remember how it worked then, but I am currently planning our honeymoon for Feb/Mar 2018 and am debating whether we are going to add the dining plan, or even the deluxe. Help! lol :confused3
I have yet to do the DDP due to cost calculations but in May this year I was close to buying it and using 2 credits for the CA Grill brunch. I have been the brunch twice and feel it is well worth 2 TS credits. The unlimited mimosas, sushi and appetizers are a great meal and then you get an entree and dessert. You can ask to have the entree and dessert boxed which we have and enjoyed it for another meal.

Can anyone clarify if an alcoholic beverage will be included with a buffet or family style meal on the new plan? The way it is worded seems like it is not... and I don't understand the ** note. I've tried looking for this answer but no luck yet, I'm sorry if I've missed it.

Each Table-Service meal includes (for lunch or dinner):
  • 1 Entrée
  • 1 Dessert*
  • Non-alcoholic Beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage, for Guests 21 and older—2018 plan only)
-OR-
  • 1 Full Buffet** or Family-Style Meal
*Ask your server about potential substitutions, but substitutions are not guaranteed. **If available; buffet excludes specialty beverages that are sold separately (2017 plan only).

Can anyone clarify if an alcoholic beverage will be included with a buffet or family style meal on the new plan? The way it is worded seems like it is not... and I don't understand the ** note. I've tried looking for this answer but no luck yet, I'm sorry if I've missed it.

Each Table-Service meal includes (for lunch or dinner):
  • 1 Entrée
  • 1 Dessert*
  • Non-alcoholic Beverage (or Alcoholic Beverage, for Guests 21 and older—2018 plan only)
-OR-
  • 1 Full Buffet** or Family-Style Meal
*Ask your server about potential substitutions, but substitutions are not guaranteed. **If available; buffet excludes specialty beverages that are sold separately (2017 plan only).

To me the **If available, is for the 2017 folks. My guess is, if there is one available, the 2018 guests will have that as an option.

Quick question (sorry if this has been asked before) - On the regular DDP can my kids order from the entire menu for table service or are they limited to the kids menu? I know quick service they can order anything but I'm curious about the sit down meals.

Thank you!

**edit**

nevermind I found it. They do order from the kids menu.

Last edited:
Do I have it right- Adults 21+ can have 2 alcoholic beverages a day with their meals one with CS and one with TS (or two CS... two TS... etc depending on Plan you get how you use your credits). Covered by Dining Plans? Anyone done the math and figured out the most expensive (single alcohol, correct?) drinks? Would it be beer? Like "special" Epcot beers? Wine? Mixed drink? Single Alcohol drinks like the frozen drinks from the machines in Epcot WS. Are the expensive beers included? Is there a price limit on the drinks? Like there mostly seems to be a price limit on Snack Credits which are usually around $5 or less- with a few exceptions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter