2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

I will put in the training - but.......when race weekend comes around, what happens if I have to walk a lot of it? THANKS and have fun everyone!
As long as you can maintain a pace of 16 minutes per mile or faster you will be allowed to remain on the course and finish. I can walk faster than the minimum pace, but not everyone can. Start training now! You can do it. <3

As long as you can maintain a pace of 16 minutes per mile or faster you will be allowed to remain on the course and finish. I can walk faster than the minimum pace, but not everyone can. Start training now! You can do it. <3
thank you so much for that. about 13 months to train!

I know this is the 2019 board but I've been watching it with a friend and we are excited to sign up for the 2020 race weekend. I was planning to do the 5K and her the 10K. I am a COMPLETELY INEXPERIENCED athlete of any kind. I'm a certified couch potato. But - with this on the books, I will get to it!

Unfortunately, we realized today we couldn't get there in time for me to run the 5K - I have to do the 10K. That sounds scary! I will put in the training - but.......when race weekend comes around, what happens if I have to walk a lot of it? THANKS and have fun everyone!
My dad wanted to do a RunDisney race, and signed up for this year’s Marathon Weekend 10K. He is not a runner, only a walker, and walked the whole thing. Started back of the last corral so as not to get in people’s way and had no trouble finishing within the pace requirements. If you train for it, you will be fine!

I know this is the 2019 board but I've been watching it with a friend and we are excited to sign up for the 2020 race weekend. I was planning to do the 5K and her the 10K. I am a COMPLETELY INEXPERIENCED athlete of any kind. I'm a certified couch potato. But - with this on the books, I will get to it!

Unfortunately, we realized today we couldn't get there in time for me to run the 5K - I have to do the 10K. That sounds scary! I will put in the training - but.......when race weekend comes around, what happens if I have to walk a lot of it? THANKS and have fun everyone!

You can definitely do it with this much time to prepare! Just stick with it, and you will be ready. You can definitely walk if you are a fairly brisk walker. I went from no running at all to half marathon in about a year, so you've got this!

Note, we are going to be in the last corral, since this is our first run and have no proof of time.

You don't enter a proof of time for the 10K. No one does.

If you gave an estimate (and you did) when registering, they will go by that to put you in a corral. Unless you chose the very longest time possible, you might not be in the last at all.

1) Are buses the only option for transportation? We are staying at a monorail resort, and didn't know if that is an option too.

Monorails haven't been an option for the 10K for a few years now. Of course, this year since I booked at Boardwalk they'll likely start it up again, but I suppose my plans are no guarantee of that. :)

Bus or your own car are your options. Or a taxi/rideshare.

2) What time should we leave BLT?

Early. You have to get out of Bay Lake, and if it follows the last 3 years...walk over to contemporary, out the front door, and to their attached convention center to get on the bus. Time for the bus to fill, to drive over to the epcot parking lot, time to walk to security, go through security, do whatever you need to do, get into the corrals.

3) We are having Kids Nite Out keep our 2YO, while we are running. We need to know what time we should have them there. They can be there at any time, since it is 24/7, but we have no experience to know when we need to be leaving!

I would ask them for advice.

Historically the monorails haven't been running early enough to get to the start for the 10k.

Not since before 2016, I believe.

Walking is fine.

Remember you still have to be there the day before the 10K to get your bib.

Walking is fine.

Remember you still have to be there the day before the 10K to get your bib.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying I still have to be there Thursday to get the 10K bib or I can get that on Friday since the 10K is Saturday? Thanks!

Just wanted to join everyone else saying sure, plenty of people walk most of the races, so that's fine, but you TOTALLY have time to train to run it. I just started running in January of last year, and since then I've done a few 5ks, a couple 10ks, and a half marathon, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying running the upcoming Princess 10k at whatever pace feels good to me in the moment. When I signed up for the January half marathon in July, I had that same fear you have, and assumed I'd walk most of it. But with the right kind of training, I was able to run almost all of it. The best advice I can give you is to check in with @DopeyBadger for help with a training plan that can get you where you want to be in a safe way, without pushing yourself too hard too fast and causing some kind of injury. I followed one of his training plans for my first 10k and another one for my first half marathon, and I'm still amazed at what I've been able to accomplish because of it. You can ABSOLUTELY do it. :)

Just wanted to join everyone else saying sure, plenty of people walk most of the races, so that's fine, but you TOTALLY have time to train to run it. I just started running in January of last year, and since then I've done a few 5ks, a couple 10ks, and a half marathon, and I'm really looking forward to enjoying running the upcoming Princess 10k at whatever pace feels good to me in the moment. When I signed up for the January half marathon in July, I had that same fear you have, and assumed I'd walk most of it. But with the right kind of training, I was able to run almost all of it. The best advice I can give you is to check in with @DopeyBadger for help with a training plan that can get you where you want to be in a safe way, without pushing yourself too hard too fast and causing some kind of injury. I followed one of his training plans for my first 10k and another one for my first half marathon, and I'm still amazed at what I've been able to accomplish because of it. You can ABSOLUTELY do it. :)
Thanks for that motivation! I'll check in with @DopeyBadger (I'm a Badger too - not sure if we are talking about the same thing!)

Thanks for that motivation! I'll check in with @DopeyBadger (I'm a Badger too - not sure if we are talking about the same thing!)

On Wisconsin!

giphy.gif

Walking is fine.

Remember you still have to be there the day before the 10K to get your bib.

Are you saying I still have to be there Thursday to get the 10K bib or I can get that on Friday since the 10K is Saturday? Thanks![/QUOTE]

If the 10K is Saturday, then you can pick up your bib on Friday. I'm doing the half this year, and due to plane times changing, I won't get to pick up my bib until Saturday.

I am kicking myself for not getting a proof of time race in this fall, I suspect I am going to be in the last corral with a bib number in the 15000s. Blergh.

Interesting that there are only three corrals for the 5k, as compared to six in past years.
I can see what my bib number is on the waiver, but could someone post a link to the corral placements? I am having a hard time finding it on the event guide.

Based on my bib number, and looking at corral breakdowns for Marathon Weekend, I should be right around where I expected for the half (E).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter