2021 Midwest DIS Meet- May 14-16, 2020 Starved Rock State Park

Wow - I'm just catching this and am truly disappointed that I don't think I'll be able to make it. DW is working that weekend, which means I can't make it a solo trip. Between kids being in school through Friday afternoon, and me needing to be back in Milwaukee by 8a Sunday, it would be a 6 hour round-trip with the camper for less than 24 hours down there.

That said, I am going to follow along with the plans. It's possible that DS and I could make it a day-trip on Saturday so that we could at least come down to say hello!

Jim,

As an update on this trip, I have nailed down our overnight stops both coming and going. It's almost exactly halfway at a CoE campground in the Land Between The Lakes region just outside Paducah (same place both ways).

We've also planned to stay a few days longer to go visit family outside of Chicago and also to run down to Springfield and see the Lincoln historical sites there.

Almost a month away!

Ed

We sadly are unable to come to this. About two weeks ago, we committed our camper to a family that had a house fire. Our fifth wheel toy Hauler is leaving this Saturday for about five months. I am so sad we will not have it for this beautiful weather, but feel good about the choice we made. We are coming for a day visit, as it is only about 2 hours from our home. We have different types of camping this year. Check out UnderCanvas. We are staying for a week at the Mt Rushmore site. We chose the Stargazer tent. Will do UTV rides on off highways. And a trip to the Bahamas in June, and a family wedding. So we were kind of not going to use it much, but we got a call from friends to go local camping this weekend. We did the right thing.....we did the right thing. See you in May, but without an RV.

We are a little over a week away from our Midwest Meet. I was wondering when everyone planned on arriving.

I have to go in to work for 0600 and 0700 meetings, I should be out of work by 0830. DW is going to work on the drive up. It's about a 3 hour drive and I should be on the road by 11 or so. Figured I'll be at the park early/mid afternoon. I just looked and most of our sites are open Thursday night.

j

Jim,

Google Maps shows me with a 6.0-6.5 hr driving distance on Friday so I would estimate we would arrive by/around 3pm.

Ed

We will be driving down for a day visit. We will be there late morning. Anxious to see and meet everybody.
What day are you and Bill coming over? We are excited to see both of you.

j

Friday, or is that a day planned for something else. Just let me know.
No specific plans for the weekend. Friday is the arrival date for most of us though. It looks like Ed and I won't be there until the afternoon. Joe and Tim will be earlier.

j

I swapped the lightbulb in my Mickey head globe light. Out went the orange one from the Fort DISMeet (for Halloween) and in went the usual green lightbulb for the DIS.

My stand was covered in ugly yellow pollen. Oy! :scared:

The “Cheese Wagon” is coming down to visit for the day on Friday. if anybody wants that “great” Wisconsin Cheese, let me know, we can pick it up for you. We will be picking up the cheese from Roelli Cheese House., whose webisite is; https://www.roellicheese.com/about-us/roelli-cheese-store/you can shop online and we will pick up and bring down.

if any of you have tried the New Glarus Beer, they sell that as well. Spotted Cow is their signature beer, but they have lots of other flavors. Totally Naked, Moon Man, and so many others.

We anxious to see everybody. Is there a evening meal planned? A potluck, perhaps. Let me know so we can bring something.

Barb and Bill

Barb,

We still talk about the cheese curds we had at your house. I'm not normally a "cheese" person, but those curds are addictive.

We haven't talked about plans for the weekend. It doesn't look like the weather is going to be that great. We can certainly plan on some food on Friday evening. Throw a change of clothes in the car for you and Bill. The new coach has a pull out air bed in the living room. The master bed is a Sleep Number, but the one in the living room is almost as nice.

We are going to shoot for getting there as early as we can. A lot depends on how long I get stuck at work Friday morning.

j

Part of my pre-trip routine is to take a look at GasBuddy.com to check fuel prices along my route and try to spot the exits I might stop at to fill up along the way.

Illinois is flirting with $3 gas now?! And up near Elgin where my family is, $3.19 is the current going rate? :crazy: The streets must be paved with GOLD up there.

giphy.gif

I just tanked up here in Bamaland at $2.61. Guess I'll have to sell another round of platelets before we leave to cover the difference. :rolleyes:

Bama Ed

PS - oh and pack the electric blanket too. :cold: Low is gonna be about 50F.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter