So I decided after research to live an internet free life and not set up my computer until I returned back to school. I go to catch up on your planning journal this morning, and think, only 12ish pages after so long? Odd. Get to the last page, there is a whole new journal! :rotfl:

But I loooove your reception location! I cannot wait to see those photos! :goodvibes Shoes came out great and your new cake looks really fun! Can't wait to read more!

Just subscribing to the new PJ. Its nice to see everything all organized in one place. Although, I have to admit I was scatter brained in my original choices too at first and its been fun looking back at my PJ and reading over all my indecisive ideas in my early planning stages :rotfl:

I had to talk DF into doing a first look, he didn't really want to either but once we weighed the pros and cons, we knew it was the right thing for us to do. either way it'll be beautiful! I really can't wait for your wedding its going to be amazing!
I know...I'm not ready to give up yet! It didn't help that his parents agreed with him...

Lovin' the new PJ, Mandy! Can you believe we're just over 6 months out! I don't know if I should be exicted or freaking out! I love everything you have planned, especially the cake, AK site, and the carnation balls (which I might steal, if you don't mind!)!
I KNOW!! Next week is 6 months!! It's crazy really...and steal away!! I do love those carnation balls although I think there is probably a more technical name for them haha.

So I decided after research to live an
internet free life and not set up my computer until I returned back to school. I go to catch up on your planning journal this morning, and think, only 12ish pages after so long? Odd. Get to the last page, there is a whole new journal! :rotfl:

But I loooove your reception location! I cannot wait to see those photos! :goodvibes Shoes came out great and your new cake looks really fun! Can't wait to read more!

Lol what's it like living internet free??? I am so excited to wear my shoes and I do hope that Disney can do that cake!!

Just subscribing to the new PJ. Its nice to see everything all organized in one place. Although, I have to admit I was scatter brained in my original choices too at first and its been fun looking back at my PJ and reading over all my indecisive ideas in my early planning stages :rotfl:
I know but my old PJ just became a jumbled mess!! It's still there to relive my undecisiveness :rotfl:

I totally understand the need for making a new PJ - I think I started 3 times :laughing: My plans were changing all the time and I was confusing the heck out of myself and anyone who was trying to read along :3dglasses

First of all we were planning to have a vow renewal and get married in the uk first, then we switched to a disney wedding at the boardwalk and then we switched to the pavillion and then we switched the time of day we wanted it :laughing: My poor planner!!!

At least you have some time to pursuade DFi to do the first look before the ceremony. I think the pictures that I have seen from other's "first looks" are precious and it is a nice sentiment, plus it calms nerves. Both my FSIL's did a first look and pictures before the ceremony, getting all the family pictures out of the way so after the ceremony you can just worry about taking some pictures of the two of you. I know we don't need to convince you, but maybe it will give you more leverage. DFi and I are planning on doing a first look, but we also have to do some pictures before the ceremony because our ceremony is at 430 and we will be racing the sun by 5 to get nice pictures.

SPEAKING of reception...my FMIL is at it again. I think with 2 boys she just doesn't understand how weddings work. She told DF tonight that his grandmother is in tears that she can't come to the wedding. Now first of all we decided this quite a long time ago. I know she's upset and we would love for her to be there but she is 94 years old and will be almost 95 by the time the wedding rolls around. We can't revolve the wedding around one person (DF's words....)

SO, FMIL says they will throw something small so that his grandmother can see me in my wedding dress. UGH!! First of all I had no desire to go hang out at there house in my wedding dress, BUT It's for his gma so whatever. Second of all, we are not throwing a party just for his side of the family!! So after deciding NOT to do an at home reception it looks like we have to figure something out. Blech.

Um, omg, I am in the EXACT same position. FMIL TOLD us (not asked) that she WILL have some sort of private reception for her side of the family....since we do not want that, we are now forced into finding some type of at-home reception. :headache:

We are trying to make the best of it though, by thinking about all our friends that we can invite, who are not invited to the wedding, and we are going to try to incorporate our wedding theme into it as well. Maybe that will help for you as well?

oh no! Couldn't she just watch the video? Okay, not being completely serious on that one...is there some way though that you could incorporate her on the day of the wedding so she feels involved? I know STVS does the live streaming, so she would be able to watch it, or if that's not an option maybe you could call her right before and have her on the phone during the ceremony so she can hear it?

Ok, before you get too worried, go look at Vanessa at home reception cost... it is crazy low. She is a genius and recylced things from her DFTW so kept the cost down. It was amazing how she did it:thumbsup2

If you dont want the at home reception what about a small wedding dinner at FMIL's house? Maybe a more formal dinner party in suits and you could wear your dress for a bit. Just immidiate family, yummy food and a small cake. I can understand that you want to include her, but if you dont want a huge at home thing, a small dinner party may work nicely. :goodvibes

I may be the only one who would be happy to wear my dress again (but it is too big now and won't even stay up)..I loved wearing it and if it is a small party so the family who couldn't attend the wedding can celebrate, I think it is a pretty fair compromise.

On the first look thing, I really wanted DH to only see me once I walked thru the door. I even made the WC shut the doors so when I came around the corner he couldn't see me. I think it was worth it..the look on his face was priceless..which I guess you can get with a first look as Carrie had great pictures..just my 2cents.

Um, omg, I am in the EXACT same position. FMIL TOLD us (not asked) that she WILL have some sort of private reception for her side of the family....since we do not want that, we are now forced into finding some type of at-home reception. :headache:

We are trying to make the best of it though, by thinking about all our friends that we can invite, who are not invited to the wedding, and we are going to try to incorporate our wedding theme into it as well. Maybe that will help for you as well?
Yea it kinda sucks doesn't it?? Lol oh well...on to searching for a venue!!

oh no! Couldn't she just watch the video? Okay, not being completely serious on that one...is there some way though that you could incorporate her on the day of the wedding so she feels involved? I know STVS does the live streaming, so she would be able to watch it, or if that's not an option maybe you could call her right before and have her on the phone during the ceremony so she can hear it?

That's what I thought...it's one of the only reason we got a videographer. She will have to settle for watching it when we get home. I am not being harsh but even his parents said, she is almost 95 years old...she may not be here when we get married :(

Ok, before you get too worried, go look at Vanessa at home reception cost... it is crazy low. She is a genius and recylced things from her DFTW so kept the cost down. It was amazing how she did it:thumbsup2

If you dont want the at home reception what about a small wedding dinner at FMIL's house? Maybe a more formal dinner party in suits and you could wear your dress for a bit. Just immidiate family, yummy food and a small cake. I can understand that you want to include her, but if you dont want a huge at home thing, a small dinner party may work nicely. :goodvibes

Thanks Sam! I will definitely go check it out. I checked a local party house...not MY first choice but they offer a brunch menu for only $15 per person!! Good enough for me!!

I may be the only one who would be happy to wear my dress again (but it is too big now and won't even stay up)..I loved wearing it and if it is a small party so the family who couldn't attend the wedding can celebrate, I think it is a pretty fair compromise.

On the first look thing, I really wanted DH to only see me once I walked thru the door. I even made the WC shut the doors so when I came around the corner he couldn't see me. I think it was worth it..the look on his face was priceless..which I guess you can get with a first look as Carrie had great pictures..just my 2cents.
Lol it's not that I don't want to wear my dress again...just not walking around his parents house in with no one there :rotfl:

I also see the appeal of waiting till we walk down the aisle but I just thought we have so much time with Randy.

Speaking of Randy, I just got an email back from him saying that even though we will only have him till 6:30ish he thinks 6 hours will work just fine and during our e-shoot next month he will go over it a bit more for us :)

On a side note...my sinus infection is back. I went to the RUDEST dr. today and got more antibiotics...which I have been told to finish this time. I have been out of work for 2 days and will have to go back tomorrow :(

Hi Mandy,
I have been lurking on DIS forever and since I love weddings, have spent quite a bit of time perusing the wedding board and seeing everyone's plans and ideas. I have to say there are some lovely wedding being planned on this board! :goodvibes

Ok, now I'm going to say something not so nice, I hope its not too upsetting considering that you don't know me :flower3: please take it in the spirit its given in. I actually registered just to post this...

My grandparents both passed away, one when I was 9 the other when I was 12. I was very close to them both. I would have done ANYTHING to have my grandparents there for my wedding, but sadly couldn't.

I know you're frustrated with your inlaws, etc., but please, please take the time to put the dress on, even if you feel silly, to give your fiancee's grandma something to see and be happy about. We will all get old some day. Today you're seeing this through the eyes of an impatient young bride. Imagine being 95 and unable to do the things you long to do, to be with your family at such important events. Imagine how wonderful and special and beloved it would make you feel if your grandson's fiancee spent the extra time and effort to let you know that you are important, that your feelings still matter.

As you said, she's 95. Imagine all the heart ache and sacrifice and love that went into those 95 years. Imagine the heatache of watching your life slowly slip away.

The more you strive to find middle ground and harmony with your inlaws the less tension there will be in your marriage.

Also, since I haven't commented here before, I think your reception location is lovely. I think rather than go so strongly toward an animal theme with the cake, you might want to consider a "casablana" style. Imagine how lovely, a '40s piano bar, retro stylings, elegant hollywood chic. Its just a suggestion.

Good luck and best wishes to you, and I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended.

Hi Mandy,
I have been lurking on DIS forever and since I love weddings, have spent quite a bit of time perusing the wedding board and seeing everyone's plans and ideas. I have to say there are some lovely wedding being planned on this board! :goodvibes

Ok, now I'm going to say something not so nice, I hope its not too upsetting considering that you don't know me :flower3: please take it in the spirit its given in. I actually registered just to post this...

My grandparents both passed away, one when I was 9 the other when I was 12. I was very close to them both. I would have done ANYTHING to have my grandparents there for my wedding, but sadly couldn't.

I know you're frustrated with your inlaws, etc., but please, please take the time to put the dress on, even if you feel silly, to give your fiancee's grandma something to see and be happy about. We will all get old some day. Today you're seeing this through the eyes of an impatient young bride. Imagine being 95 and unable to do the things you long to do, to be with your family at such important events. Imagine how wonderful and special and beloved it would make you feel if your grandson's fiancee spent the extra time and effort to let you know that you are important, that your feelings still matter.

As you said, she's 95. Imagine all the heart ache and sacrifice and love that went into those 95 years. Imagine the heatache of watching your life slowly slip away.

The more you strive to find middle ground and harmony with your inlaws the less tension there will be in your marriage.

Also, since I haven't commented here before, I think your reception location is lovely. I think rather than go so strongly toward an animal theme with the cake, you might want to consider a "casablana" style. Imagine how lovely, a '40s piano bar, retro stylings, elegant hollywood chic. Its just a suggestion.

Good luck and best wishes to you, and I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended.

Wow, I don't know if you'd like that type of thing Amanda, but that'd be an awesome reception - especially with your dress and all. Regardless, it's still an awesome reception location and it's your day but I could so picture you in that dress in a setting like that.

I know how you feel about at home receptions. I wasn't bothered either way about having one but I did love the idea of putting my dress on again. FMIL though just assumed we were having one and that it would be where they live, this peeved me a bit but it is where we probably would have had it. They are paying for most of it, I would not be having it otherwise as we could not afford to pay for it all. So we started on the guest list last week and got up to about 115 people :scared1: but I'm hoping only about 75 people will come which is the minimum we've got to pay for. Then my Dad comes at me from another side. I ask him for some addresses of his friends and say I know most of them won't come as it too far but hopefully the ones nearer can make it and he starts going on about how they'd have to pay to stay over (I flew to Scotland for one of there weddings which in the UK is pretty far) and then says I can have another party just for his friends and that he'd pay for half if I paid the rest and how I could pay to stay in a hotel. That is so not going to happen but at the moment i've just said to him i'll wait and see if they come to the party I am already throwing but if he mentions it again i'll be putting my foot down.

Hope you get something sorted out.

Ah I leave for a bit and come back to a whole new Amanda PJ! I love everything, especially Tamu Tamu! I cannot wait for your wedding, the pictures are going to be absolutely gorgeous!!!

I am loving that dress! And I have always been fond of the cherry red/turquoise blue combo. It always makes me happy! :goodvibes Of the necklaces... I am thinking number three might be best. It is nice and simple, yet bold. The second one I fear the flower may interfere with the straps, so that may not be too comfortable. That is just my thoughts on the matter though. Nice finds! :thumbsup2

Edit: I meant cherry red, not sherry! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter