3 Teens in Tokyo! A PTR

I'm Japanese, live in Hawaii, and I think Honolulu is more expensive than Tokyo so please don't let cost deter you from visiting Japan. Overall, Tokyo is a much better value if you research and plan your trip.

In both cities, there are expensive and cheap options. However, a $100/night room in Tokyo will likely be in better condition than a $100/night hotel room in Waikiki.

If you are willing to stay in Tokyo, try looking into the Villa Fontaine chain - cheap, clean, and they have REAL double beds, not semi-double beds. I'm paying $80/night including taxes for a double room and the hotel is across from a station - great deal! The rate even includes breakfast :thumbsup2

I'm not certain, but I don't think you're going to find a room that holds 5 people unless you're going to splurge on a suite. The Sheraton Tokyo Bay runs frequent specials - they just had one for $120/night with breakfast. I almost booked it, but like you, I didn't want to switch hotels mid-trip. And since I'm travelling for work, I couldn't justify staying near Disney for the entire trip :)

I would suggest finding a Japanese/English speaking travel agent. Domestic hotel deals are often published only in Japanese and you may or may not find them on kayak, orbitz, etc. JTB and HIS may also offer package deals. JTB just had a Honolulu/***uoka roundtrip for $400 (about $500 discount)!

As far as food goes, $6 will buy a horrible breakfast buffet in Waikiki or a delicious bowl of ramen in Tokyo. Japan has far more quality options for budget-minded travelers. Yes, there are good, cheap eateries in Waikiki, but they are not as abundant as they are in Japan. (Outside of Waikiki, there are many good restaurants.) In Tokyo, there are usually many good, cheap establishments within walking distance of a station. However, I can't think of any cheap places to eat on Disney property. Ikspiari is pretty overpriced as are the hotel restaurants and cafes.

Another cost you might want to factor in for Hawaii is that you will need a car, gas is $4+ on Oahu (more on neighbor islands), parking is $8-$25/night, and if you want to travel to neighbor islands, airfare is $130+/person.

So this whole trip hinged on getting affordable accommodation for our family, I was sold when I came across this picture on Sheratons website

Being able to fit in one room (yeah, I know :crowded:) made it possible for us to go. Having to get two rooms, obviously doubles our accommodation costs.

I had emailed the Sheraton and they confirmed 5 people would fit in their "2 double, 2 single" rooms (which makes me think that there is another bed out of shot in that room) as long as the bed sharers are under 17.

Yep, we have kids under 17.

Anyway I emailed today to confirm and was told that max 4 people in the room! :scared1:

So this made me pretty :sad:, I knew I had received an email about this, so trawled through my inbox looking for it - it was a couple of months ago, and I didnt know who the sender would have been - this was on my work email - I get heaps and heaps of email -and I delete them after 2months.

Luckily, I dont empty the recycle bin, so trawled through there, and found it :thumbsup2.

So a couple of exchanges and it is confirmed, they will accept 5.
(Although I havent actually booked as yet - still waiting for better pricing. )

The person I had emailed today was in a central reservations department, rather than the hotel itself.

So, phew, crisis averted!!!

While on the subject - when should I book a room?

Our trip is not until April - at the moment the room is advertised at 24000yen per night (about A$300 )- the price seems to be the same for all their standard rooms.

Anyway is the price likely to change? If that is what we have to pay, then so be it - but I would hate to see it at $120 later. :sad1:

While on the subject - when should I book a room?

Our trip is not until April - at the moment the room is advertised at 24000yen per night (about A$300 )- the price seems to be the same for all their standard rooms.

Anyway is the price likely to change? If that is what we have to pay, then so be it - but I would hate to see it at $120 later. :sad1:

It depends on what the terms are. I'd book now if you are able to cancel closer to the date without penalty. Then keep checking for a better deal. Especially since it's not like there are a zillion hotels that can accommodate your party size.

If the rate doesn't allow for cancellation, then it's a tougher call.

Yes I think I will do that this week - I know that is where we want to stay, and I think that there is no cancellation penalty - so I can cancel and rebook should the price come down.

I was hoping to give my credit card time to get over purchasing airfare this month!

http://www.vrbo.com/298841#features

This is the place I am thinking of booking in Kyoto - anyone had any experience using VRBO?

OK - Booking at the Sheraton confirmed -

They took credit card details, but only for security - they dont charge it yet :thumbsup2

I can change the booking should a cheaper rate come out. :thumbsup2

For anyone with a family of five that is interested - I had another email confirming that we will be accommodated in the one room, but they stated we could choose a room with 3 beds (2doubles, 1 single) as it is OK for children to share.

I think we will stick with 4 beds, so only DH and I have to share. I have seen a travellers pic where they seem to put another bed where the table and chair is in the picture I posted, and then the table and chair is awkwardly put infront of the TV unit. -

It looks a little crowded,:crowded: I wont show DH, and I will pretend I didnt see it, but will be mentally prepared. If they can remove the table and chairs from the room, it wont be too bad.

Just reading the fine print on the booking for the machiya in Kyoto -

I noted that smoking was not permitted inside this building and read in the contract that there is a $US 700 (yep, seven hundred:crazy2:) cleaning fee if you smoke inside!!

This is a good thing, as we are not smokers, so feel confident there will be no lingering smoke odour, as has been reported in a lot of the hotels (inc. the Sheraton)

That's really good. We only stayed in non smoking rooms, so we couldn't smell anything, but there must have been a smoking elevator (??:confused3??) in the hotel we stayed at in Kyoto, because every time we got in it smelt like someone had been smoking in there just before we got in :crazy2:

I really love planning travel - but I seem to be a bit ahead of myself on this one, there is no urgency for any of this stuff but more of a list that I can add to/tick off.

I need to do more research on how we will be filling our days - the family is urging me to just take each day as it comes and we will "wing it" - but that just goes way against my OCD.

To do list:

1: Confirm booking in Kyoto Machiya - concerned as it requires non refundable deposit - of Y22000, although balance is not paid until arrival. Need to make a decision on this one.

2: Organise travel insurance.

3: Purchase JR rail pass vouchers. (cant do this until February as they need to be used within 3months)

4: Organise Sydney airport transfers. (got a guy that took us last time - need to book him in)

5: Narita / Sheraton transfer (limousine bus, buy tickets on arrival)

6: Suica / Pasmo card (load them up and use as needed )

7: Disney tickets ( can be purchased from Sheraton)

8:

I'm so glad to hear the Sheraton can accommodate 5! I do sometimes travel with a party of 5 and will definitely remember that tip.

The Sheraton rooms are very large by Tokyo standards, so it shouldn't be too tight. And if it does start to feel a little cramped, there is a huge lobby and an area with free computers/Internet where your kids can be comfortable lounging around.

Yes, we figure a room is only for dumping your stuff and sleeping in!
I imagine I will be spending time in the lobby on my iPad, the kids are looking forward to watching some crazy Japanese game shows on tv, even if they can't understand it.

I saw a few of those, nothing like takeshi's castle though... I think it was some sort of dancing game show... or something... :confused3

Battymum, as you know we used VBRO and had no issues-but you do deal directly with owners after the initial contact so guess it may vary. We used Paypal to pay deposit and then it was cash for the balance on arrival (which, because we had bought yen several months in advance when it was at a good exchange rate, suited us). Gion is a good area to be based in-good transport connections and walkable to lots of places in southern Higashiyama which we found very attractive- a lot of people seem to stay near the station and we found it soulless on our enforced extra night there (due to storm closing transport down).

Thanks Wendy, you know it was your TR that inspired me to look at VRBO -

I am ready to book, but hesitating as it does require a non-refundable deposit of one nights accom, although I am happy that I dont have to pay the balance until arrival in cash.

So worst case scenario, we are stuck with no where to stay and lose one nights accomodation cost!

I will probably do it tomorrow - as I am not even interested in looking at other hotels ! We are excited to stay in a traditional home with paper walls etc. - (I have given my boys a lecture about being gentle! ) and there arent that many that sleep 5!

Catching up. Glad you got the Sheraton sorted out.

Just a question about the payment of hotel rooms - do they take prepayment? The dollar is so good at the moment and I know it is personal preference (as to whether you prepay or pay when you get there) and in the laps of the financial gods...or are you exchanging money to cover it when you get there?

Hadnt really thought about it to be honest. I wasnt planning on prepaying, but maybe I should. :confused3

I havent even been tracking the Yen, I know it is sitting around 80, but I dont know if that is historically high or low. Sometimes ignorance is bliss! Less stress that way.

I should get a generous tax return when I get around to submitting it - I was planning on putting that money aside in our holiday account, but maybe I should buy my yen.

80 is pretty high, according to my BIL 72-75 used to be the norm.

We stayed right near the kyoto train station, which was really handy on arrival and departure day, but otherwise I don't think much happens around there. Restaurants etc. are all closed at 9pm. Next time I think we've try some where else, maybe Gion.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using DISBoards

I don't really want to prepay at the sheraton just yet as I am hoping for a price drop nor do I want to prepay the machiya in Kyoto, as it is through vrbo I want to be sure it is ok before handing my money.
Are there any prepaid credit cards such as the anz travel card that I could buy in yen?

edit - just checked the ANZ travel card can be purchased in Yen - think I will do that when I get my tax return

Just FYI - our commonwealth travel card only worked in the occassional ATM (all of the 7eleven atm's worked fine) and while I only tried to use it maybe 2 or 3 times with eftpos it didn't work any of those times.

Generally we just drew out 30000y each time we needed it and that was always fine :confused3

Yes I have heard that, I had planned on taking all our spending money as cash and only using the card for major expenses such as accommodation and tickets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter