30 venues announced for Disney Springs

Depends where you live...I have little trouble finding them here, but little interest, since high end is not my current lot in life...

Most malls are going away from "anchors" and becoming open air/high end walk-able sites with zero anchors (or "restaurant/entertainment" anchors - boy, that sounds familiar)...so this is what you can find in any well-off suburb or city all over the US...
See I live in Wisconsin so open air malls don't really work well 6 months out of the year.

See I live in Wisconsin so open air malls don't really work well 6 months out of the year.

Okay, maybe not in the Midwest/Canadian border/NE area...but it's nothing new for MidAtlantic and SE states (every time I see a family member, we hang out at one of these types of places:)...

Most malls are going away from "anchors" and becoming open air/high end walk-able sites with zero anchors (or "restaurant/entertainment" anchors - boy, that sounds familiar)...so this is what you can find in any well-off suburb or city all over the US...

This type of retail is generally referred to as a "Lifestyle Center". There are many of them in warm-weather cities.

I wonder if the presence of a lifestyle center near one's home affects one's level of excitement about the Disney Springs transformation. Living in South Florida, I'm just a few miles from a lifestyle center. Therefore, the novelty of an outdoor shopping center doesn't affect me.

(For the record, I am excited about Disney Springs because I recognize that it's not just a mall.)

This type of retail is generally referred to as a "Lifestyle Center". There are many of them in warm-weather cities.

I wonder if the presence of a lifestyle center near one's home affects one's level of excitement about the Disney Springs transformation. Living in South Florida, I'm just a few miles from a lifestyle center. Therefore, the novelty of an outdoor shopping center doesn't affect me.

(For the record, I am excited about Disney Springs because I recognize that it's not just a mall.)

Restaurants in some areas are now being used as "anchors"...as the sears, Macy's, and jcpennys go away...they are starting to go upscale dining and draw boutique stores to feed off them.

We were in Disney Springs a few weeks ago and took a ride on the Characters in Flight balloon - I was stunned when I saw how big the expansion will be! There is a whole new shopping area behind Planet Hollywood (I believe where the parking lot was). I wish I had taken a photo - it really will expand the shopping opportunities there - it looks similar to the style of Disneyland's DTD.

I think it's going to be fun. A place to go look around, eat. Have fun. Something to do on off park days. I take the bus there. Parking there can run your day.

This is becoming more common at places like Disney and Universal. I enjoy the idea of a place like this because of the fact that it gives you something to do on your off days. We must also remember that not everyone who goes to Disney are families. Some are younger couples who love the aspect of shopping and need a day off from the parks. Disney is reaching out to reach a bigger customer base. I know my family in itself is in love with Disney Springs for the dining and shopping it gives us on a day off from the parks. :wave:

I'm reading this thread and I feel like the only person on this planet who actually enjoys Disney Springs. We always spend some time there, walking around, shopping, listening to the bands and take it all in. Mind you, the past few years haven't been that great with all the construction but I'm happy this is slowly coming to an end. I can't explain why I like it so much, maybe because I like shopping to begin with or maybe because we don't have many of these concepts or stores back home in Montreal, Canada.
My only question is that they announced a partnership with Uniqlo and mentioned a store opening in DS and I remember seeing it on a list and now it has disappeared from all official lists. :( Does anyone know if it's actually happening or not? I'm dying to stock up on their basic pieces.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter