40 inches - 38 pounds - almost 3

geekswearlpstk2

Earning My Ears
Looking for advice here.

My little guy(2 almost 3 - we're going 2 weeks before his bday) can get on a good portion of rides now, but am a little hesitant to take him on a few.

Radiator Spring is a no brainer to me due to the seat belts etc. Soarin' as well.

I don't do Guardians because it makes me sick, so not doing that anyway.

I've been showing him the rides and he says he wants to do Splash Mountain and Big Thunder.
Splash freaks me out because he'd have to ride by himself with me behind him or in the back next to me. If he wasn't so skinny and light, I'd probably not think twice. But those inside drops in the dark where you go up and down really quick . you almost get airborne. So I'm a little freaked.

Big Thunder, I think will be ok with my niece and sister on either side of him (I'm bigger - not quite pooh sized, but the lap bar would not go all the way down on him if he sat with me.

He's a bit of a speed demon/daredevil, but he's still an almost 3 year old. So

(I know he can get on Space Mountain, but I think that might freak him out - dark with no breaks for light)

Thoughts? what do you think?

I was thinking of taking him on gadget as a precursor prior to Big Thunder as he's never been on a rollercoaster. If he hates Gadget, we won't be attempting Big Thunder. If he loves it, we will give it a shot.

I think you’re thinking of all the right things. I would probably do a couple test attractions then once you two have the hang of it try a big one. If he meets the height requirement and seems to be handling himself well on attractions then go for it! Our wisp of a 3yo held on so tight I don’t think anyone could pry her off the splash Mountain log.

The last row of the log on Splash can accommodate an adult and kid side by side. While I agree he'll probably be fine holding on, you can ask for that back row to sit next to him if you prefer.

Honestly, if your kid meets the height requirement, I wouldn't be too concerned about safety. There is zero chance he will fall out of a ride vehicle (they would not allow him to board if there were). Now, whether or not he can handle the ride's intensity is another matter, though it sounds like you have a little daredevil in your hands, so he'll probably love it.

My son hit 40 inches right before his third birthday. I’ve taken him on RSR, Soarin, Big Thunder and Star Tours. He did fine on all although he was slipping down in his seat on Star Tours, which made me uncomfortable. FYI, only two to a car on Big Thunder I believe.

Honestly, if your kid meets the height requirement, I wouldn't be too concerned about safety. There is zero chance he will fall out of a ride vehicle (they would not allow him to board if there were). Now, whether or not he can handle the ride's intensity is another matter, though it sounds like you have a little daredevil in your hands, so he'll probably love it.

It’s not just about falling out. It’s also about having the mental maturity to follow and understand instructions. Children have been seriously injured on DL rides when they were not supervised and not doing what they should have been. BTMRR included.

I think between two people on BTMRR is a good idea. Next to one person would make me nervous if the lap bar can’t cone down far enough, unless it is an adult holding on tight to him. Gadget is a great test ride, but if he likes RSR then BTMRR is probably fine for him too.

ALso, be aware, their height check sticks are exact. And the height we get at home can be off, so do be prepared that he could possibly not make it. I would be sure to use the phrase "IF you make the height...." I've seen too many parents arguing and yelling at CMs because their child IS 40", their chart at home says so, or the doctors office says so. I have measured the height sticks at Disneyland and DCA myself, and they are exactly accurate. Also, if they are borderline, have them ride in the morning before their body gets tired and they start "compressing". They will often lose 1/2"-1" just by being tired (spine compresses.)

FYI, only two to a car on Big Thunder I believe.
Nah, you can actually have three - my daughter, husband, and I always ride together, or I’ve ridden with my daughter and her friend. A little in between two adults works well and sounds like a good plan for OP.

OP, just make sure to mention the big “explosion” at the end of Big Thunder so he’s prepared before he rides it - when I see kids upset at the end, it’s usually because of that.

We have been to the parks 3 times with our kids and watched a million you tube videos. On our last trip at 3.5 our kiddo was tall enough for the big rides. We chose to not offer him Splash, Space, Star Tours, Indy, Matterhorn, Grizzly River Run or Guardians. Screamin was closed.

RSR and big thunder freaked him out. He wanted to go again but physically his body wasn't ready for those stomach dropping feelings. And mentally I think he was scared even though he liked the idea of the ride. He did great on Soarin'. It's a calm ride and obviously no safety concern. I had no safety concern on any of the other rides after we experienced them.

We stopped going on any adult rides after that. Emotionally our kiddo was not ready.

I was in the same situation age and height wise for my daughter. Did quite a bit with her. I thought she’d love RSR the most since she loves cars, but she hated it. I think the loud speakers by her head was what did it. She loved splash and BTMRR though. In splash, I just sat behind her and held her a bit. On BTMRR we sat 3 in a row

The last row of the log on Splash can accommodate an adult and kid side by side. While I agree he'll probably be fine holding on, you can ask for that back row to sit next to him if you prefer.

That's my biggest issue. . I'm not sure I can count on him to hold on. (almost 3 - mind of his own)

ALso, be aware, their height check sticks are exact. And the height we get at home can be off, so do be prepared that he could possibly not make it. I would be sure to use the phrase "IF you make the height...." I've seen too many parents arguing and yelling at CMs because their child IS 40", their chart at home says so, or the doctors office says so. I have measured the height sticks at Disneyland and DCA myself, and they are exactly accurate. Also, if they are borderline, have them ride in the morning before their body gets tired and they start "compressing". They will often lose 1/2"-1" just by being tired (spine compresses.)

Yep! my wording to him is definitely, "they need to check you every time". So we are practicing standing tall but NOT on tiptoes (he really wants to be on his toes for some reason) He was a little over 40 inches at the doctor with NO shoes. So I'm thinking we'll be ok. . if not. . .we're going back in December probably so he'll get a chance.

We have been to the parks 3 times with our kids and watched a million you tube videos. On our last trip at 3.5 our kiddo was tall enough for the big rides. We chose to not offer him Splash, Space, Star Tours, Indy, Matterhorn, Grizzly River Run or Guardians. Screamin was closed.

RSR and big thunder freaked him out. He wanted to go again but physically his body wasn't ready for those stomach dropping feelings. And mentally I think he was scared even though he liked the idea of the ride. He did great on Soarin'. It's a calm ride and obviously no safety concern. I had no safety concern on any of the other rides after we experienced them.

We stopped going on any adult rides after that. Emotionally our kiddo was not ready.

Yep - if he's in the least scared or sick or uncomfortable - I will veto. I want him to enjoy it. We went when we was 16 months and he loved everything he was able to ride. We will be doing fantasyland and toon town for EMH & morning the first day. Then moving on to others. So hopefully we can get a quick ride on gadget in the morning.

Yep - if he's in the least scared or sick or uncomfortable - I will veto. I want him to enjoy it. We went when we was 16 months and he loved everything he was able to ride. We will be doing fantasyland and toon town for EMH & morning the first day. Then moving on to others. So hopefully we can get a quick ride on gadget in the morning.

Just remember toon town usually opens an hour after regular park opening. With a very special opening at times.
Have fun!

Nah, you can actually have three - my daughter, husband, and I always ride together, or I’ve ridden with my daughter and her friend. A little in between two adults works well and sounds like a good plan for OP.

OP, just make sure to mention the big “explosion” at the end of Big Thunder so he’s prepared before he rides it - when I see kids upset at the end, it’s usually because of that.
Good to know!

I would definitely have him sit by you in the back on Splash rather than getting his own seat. That big plunge can be super scary for littles the first time. First time I took DD18 when she was a toddler, I sat back there with her and she wanted to go again and again. Then by the time DD14 was old enough several years later, I'd forgotten about the shared seat and she went in front of me by herself the first time. She was screaming and crying as we came around the corner after the big splash and I almost couldn't get her back on it again!

I would definitely have him sit by you in the back on Splash rather than getting his own seat. That big plunge can be super scary for littles the first time. First time I took DD18 when she was a toddler, I sat back there with her and she wanted to go again and again. Then by the time DD14 was old enough several years later, I'd forgotten about the shared seat and she went in front of me by herself the first time. She was screaming and crying as we came around the corner after the big splash and I almost couldn't get her back on it again!
Is it pretty easy to hold onto them from the side on that ride?

My granddaughter made 40" at 2.5 years. (She is extremely tall.) I let her ride Soarin' and RSR. The next day her dad said "Great! Let's do Space!" And she did all the rest of the 40" rides. And she loved them.

My middle daughter was 40" before age 3 too and loved all the rides she was tall enough for. It wasn't hard to help with any belts bars etc. She is a good listener tho and wouldn't run off or anything. Her little sister isn't 40" yet and is 3.5, we have a mark on the wall to show 40" so we will know when our next trip should be!

I think it probably just depends on the kid. My oldest two were both 40" by 3 and we took them on everything they were tall enough for, and they loved it all. Tower of terror pics are hilarious because my husband and I are screaming and my 4yo and 2yo are totally looking around super nonchalant. Just depends on personality. Now, my then 4yo is now 6, and she wanted to go on Screamin' and then threw a fit once we got to the front of the line. I knew she would like it so I bribed her to go against CM advice. It ended up being her favorite ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter