40 inches - 38 pounds - almost 3

Radiator Spring is a no brainer to me due to the seat belts etc. Soarin' as well.

Are you saying you would NOT take him on those???

Those are great rides and are fine. On soarin he’ll have a crotch strap that goes through to keep him from slipping down. RSR is terrific fun and the seatbelts are great.

Big Thunder, I think will be ok with my niece and sister on either side of him (I'm bigger - not quite pooh sized, but the lap bar would not go all the way down on him if he sat with me.

BT is one I would NOT go on with big size differences. With that one littler kids tend to start slipping down. Including my own son the one time he rode with his much bigger father.

That's my biggest issue. . I'm not sure I can count on him to hold on. (almost 3 - mind of his own)

Physics is an amazing thing. Physics is what keeps us from flying out of things like splash. He wouldn’t need to hold on to stay in the seat.

he really wants to be on his toes for some reason

Because he’s 3 and that’s pretty typical.

Is it pretty easy to hold onto them from the side on that ride?

Sure but you don’t need to. Ask for the back seat and have fun.

I would definitely have him sit by you in the back on Splash rather than getting his own seat. That big plunge can be super scary for littles the first time. First time I took DD18 when she was a toddler, I sat back there with her and she wanted to go again and again. Then by the time DD14 was old enough several years later, I'd forgotten about the shared seat and she went in front of me by herself the first time. She was screaming and crying as we came around the corner after the big splash and I almost couldn't get her back on it again!
A little OT...When my DD was not quite five, we went on Splash for the first time. The progression in ride photos is hysterical. The first one, her face was a mask of sheer, unadulterated terror. She got off in tears saying, "I NEVER want to ride that again!" We went on Pooh to calm her down, and, after that, she decided she wanted to try Splash again, so we did. That photo shows some concern, but nothing like the terror of the first ride. By ride #6 that trip, it was her favorite ride. And that's kind of been her pattern. Meltdown, try it, love it, make it your favorite. That was how she went on CS and GotG.

My oldest was 40" at her 2.5 y/o check up and we also took her a few weeks before her 3rd birthday (yeah for free entry!).

She rode everything she was tall enough for (all 40" rides) including what was then the TOT. The only one she didn't like was TOT; at 8 Guardians is her absolute favorite. Her first impression of Space Mountain was less than stellar, but my husband taught her on Splash Mountain that it was fun to scream on rides so she rode Space again and decided she liked it. My son is not so brave. At 5 he's finally warmed up to the bigger rides, but likes me to hold his hand on Space and Guardians.

I will say that Thunder Mtn. is considered the most tame of the coasters. Your best bet is to have him sit in between two people. Chances are good he'll love it. My "chicken" son has always loved Thunder Mtn (and Goofy's, but that one is 42"). The nice thing about Space is that everyone has their own lap bar. It is dark, but it isn't much faster than Thunder Mtn.

Are you saying you would NOT take him on those???

Those are great rides and are fine. On soarin he’ll have a crotch strap that goes through to keep him from slipping down. RSR is terrific fun and the seatbelts are great.

No, those are the ones I feel the most secure about. So agreed! Also - thanks for the detailed response! Appreciate it and agree!

Here is a good example of holding a kid in front of you vs not holding.

Holding:2C45DC8F-0D03-426E-A827-D347B5E02E07.jpeg

Not holding:
1E28DCDC-5982-43AA-8A72-EB2299888B30.jpeg
She absolutely loved it though, went on it about 10 times that week. Just depends on the child.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter