9/11 Church Event Controversy

Do you feel a 9/11 Celebration for America is ok?

• Yes, celebrate America and our freedom

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • No, it is a day of reflection and remembrance

Votes: 79 87.8%
  • Possibly, without the fireworks it would be acceptable

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters
I can very much see the point of keeping things somber, but I also remember how much everyone rallied together after 9/11 - the flags everywhere...that sort of thing. So I can understand wanting to acknowledge that part as well.

Then perhaps a day of service in remembrance for the people that died and the first responders that died. Organize something that makes sense.

As for the fireworks permit, we're in a nasty drought here. Are they? I would think that might be a reason to deny it.
I'm sure the depends on the area. Here burn bans aren't too too common, they usually occur with high winds and prolonged dryness conditions together but just normal drought conditions won't do that and fireworks aren't usually included anyways.

I looked at my country (which is fairly strict) and it has nothing about weather conditions in regards to what's on the permit application.

Our town has a solemn ceremony for the victims that lived here. Last year someone had a wedding reception on 9/11 at a country club the next town over, with fireworks. The local Facebook pages/nextdoor blew up asking who the heck sets off fireworks on 9/11. We are 10 miles from Manhattan, it was a scary, sad, terrible time here, while I loved the 9/11 museum and found it cathartic, it also brought back a little ptsd. It’s nothing to celebrate.

Are people not supposed to celebrate other things that happen on 9/11 just because one year a bad thing happened? I got married on June 6th. Should I be somber that day because it is an anniversary of D-Day? Should we have avoided having a good time because the date our venue was available at the time of year we wanted to marry happened to fall on a date where a lot of people died?

That couple would likely have had fireworks at their wedding regardless of the day. I think it is unrealistic to mute their celebration just because of the date which they may not even remember. For that couple, especially if they are younger, the most impactful thing that will ever happen to them is their wedding, not an attack that happened 20 years ago.

Like pretty much everything else, I'm torn on this. (I would make a horrible judge!)

I can very much see the point of keeping things somber, but I also remember how much everyone rallied together after 9/11 - the flags everywhere...that sort of thing. So I can understand wanting to acknowledge that part as well. (Like I said, I'm great as a mediator, no good as a decision-maker. :rotfl: )
Well, aside from the increase in Islamophobia and hate crimes against Muslims and people who looked Middle Eastern.

Are people not supposed to celebrate other things that happen on 9/11 just because one year a bad thing happened? I got married on June 6th. Should I be somber that day because it is an anniversary of D-Day?

That couple would likely have had fireworks at their wedding regardless of the day. I think it is unrealistic to mute their celebration just because of the date which they may not even remember. For that couple, especially if they are younger, the most impactful thing that will ever happen to them is their wedding, not an attack that happened 20 years ago.
I think it depends entirely on the context of the event. When discussing this earlier today, my mom even said if this was a fair celebration or some sort of sports event, she wouldn't have cared or seen any issue with it. It's different for this specific event as it is for celebrating America. That came off as tone deaf in her opinion.

Well, I'm not sure those behind Memorial Day would think picnics and boating are a good way to observe that day.
But lets face it, September 11th was a generation ago. Before a lot of adults were born. While it was the biggest news story of my career, for a lot of folks, it's ancient history.
Did you see the pastor? He was alive on 9/11. This was not solely organized by adults who cannot remember the actual day.

Did you see the pastor? He was alive on 9/11. This was not solely organized by adults who cannot remember the actual day.
I did not see the Pastor. But it WAS a generation ago.

Are people not supposed to celebrate other things that happen on 9/11 just because one year a bad thing happened? I got married on June 6th. Should I be somber that day because it is an anniversary of D-Day? Should we have avoided having a good time because the date our venue was available at the time of year we wanted to marry happened to fall on a date where a lot of people died?

No one is saying you can't get married on that day. No one is saying if your birthday falls on it you have to celebrate before/after it either. That is not the gist of the question I posed when I started this thread.

My focus was on a specific type of event that was focused on celebrating our country. And I know you have a right to your opinion, as I do mine, but that bolded phrase sounds so flippant. It was the worst terrorist attack on our country and the worst terroist attack in world history. I personally consider it more than a "bad thing." But YMMV.

I did not see the Pastor. But it WAS a generation ago.
Take 2 minutes to watch the video.

Yes, it was almost 21 years ago, but what does that have to do with a pastor who was alive at the time organizing a family fun fest on 9/11? It doesn't take a genius to know this could create a situation. It may be 21 years ago, but there are people living who still have strong emotions about that day. After watching his interview (which if you read my post you know the key part I don't like was edited out of the later broadcast) he was hoping this backlash would create more people to come. The more I think about it, the more I am bothered by it.

No one is saying you can't get married on that day. No one is saying if your birthday falls on it you have to celebrate before/after it either. That is not the gist of the question I posed when I started this thread.

My focus was on a specific type of event that was focused on celebrating our country. And I know you have a right to your opinion, as I do mine, but that bolded phrase sounds so flippant. It was the worst terrorist attack on our country and the worst terroist attack in world history. I personally consider it more than a "bad thing." But YMMV.
That post was a response to a post specifically about the reaction to how a couple chose to celebrate their wedding because it happened to fall on the 11th day of September.

That post was a response to a post specifically about the reaction to how a couple chose to celebrate their wedding because it happened to fall on the 11th day of September.
people didn’t realize it was a wedding, they thought it was one of the local towns celebrating, which is why folks went on social media to figure out what was going on. There was a time here, close to ground zero, that no one would even think to have an event like a wedding on 9/11, but that has changed. Many here lost loved ones, and haven’t completely gotten over it.

AGREED^

I wonder if this church would have a upbeat celebration with picnics and singing and fireworks for ...

... D-Day or Pearl Harbor or the Galveston Hurricane or the San Francisco Earthquake ...

I think not. Mass deaths happening in singular events are not the same as a holiday set aside for centuries of soldiers who died in the line of duty. There are better and more respectful ways to honor those that died that day, those that gave their lives trying to save others ... than a superficial party you give yourself to gain attention for yourself.

Last edited:
people didn’t realize it was a wedding, they thought it was one of the local towns celebrating, which is why folks went on social media to figure out what was going on. There was a time here, close to ground zero, that no one would even think to have an event like a wedding on 9/11, but that has changed. Many here lost loved ones, and haven’t completely gotten over it.
Exactly …the point was perfectly clear to me 🤷🏻

And on a different point - 9/11 is a Sunday this year, and tons of Churchs are doing fall fairs and picnics that day with absolutely no references to 9/11. Tons or other folks will have back to school get togethers. And the NFL opens up its Sundays season with a full slate of games and tailgating.

Our church has a "Rally Day" celebration where we celebrate the start of a new Sunday School year (children's Sunday School goes in hiatus in the summer due to low attendance).

But 9/11 isn't a holiday - we've never designated it as such.

I agree with the PPer - I find sticking it to the people who attacked us by saying we're strong happy people who can continue our communal way of life despite their wicked acts is about as American as you can be.

I see this as the way different people approach funerals and their respective events - some want very solemn rememberances and some want a party. Neither way is better or worse that the other for remembering a departed soul.

And on a different point - 9/11 is a Sunday this year, and tons of Churchs are doing fall fairs and picnics that day with absolutely no references to 9/11. Tons or other folks will have back to school get togethers. And the NFL opens up its Sundays season with a full slate of games and tailgating.

So, in my mind, it's okay to come together and be totally happy that day. And taking a moment to remember 9/11 before all that happiness would be even better.

So, this is a mountain out of molehill situation that got big b/c of the internet, not b/c it deserved to be big...
I completely agree.

I voted no - 100% no

My DH is a retired volunteer firefighter and he still wears a metal bracelet in remembrance of Father Mychal Judge, the NYC FD Chaplain that died on 9/11. The last thing my DH would want to see on 9/11 is a place having a 9/11 party like celebration and fireworks. Even though he wasn’t in NY on 9/11, he still feels connected due to being a firefighter. He would have gone to NY to help after 9/11 happened, but his career job, at the time, wouldn’t allow it.

I can see how the church is wanting to celebrate the fact that America persevered after 9/11 and that we held strong after 9/11, but to do it with fireworks and party like atmosphere is not good. They need to have a picnic or potluck and concentrate on how so many people died that day, and the first responders that died while trying to save people. 9/11 is a day for that - not having a 9/11 party.

ETA - celebrating other things that day is a different story. Of course people can have a bday party, wedding, sporting events and etc. It’s the theme of the church party that’s in question.

Last edited:
I can see how the church is wanting to celebrate the fact that America persevered after 9/11...and the first responders that died while trying to save people. 9/11 is a day for that...
It would definitely be nice if some of these rally events included a component of thanking first responders - kids making cards, people signing up to bring meals to firehouses, something like that.

• Love
Reactions: slo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter