9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

We are flying out the same day. I wonder if Disney will offer a city tour on the way to the airport?

Has anyone thought about what they are going to do once they get to New York? I'm probably going to fly out that day but was wondering about maybe doing a tour or something. Can't find much though out there as solo so if anyone else is thinking of anything similar let me know. I found a tour on Viator that includes luggage transport for £500 roughly for up to 5 people and luggage. https://www.viator.com/tours/New-Yo...vate-Tour/d687-3112PRTNYCPOSTL/important-info

The port is right next to the USS Intrepid. If you want to spend the morning at that museum, it's a great site.

Since we live in a 200 mile radius, we will just be renting a car and driving home (YAY, no flight).

We are 20 minutes door-to-door and will probably get car service. This is why we were so happy the 2017 WBTA debarked in NYC.

We are 20 minutes door-to-door and will probably get car service. This is why we were so happy the 2017 WBTA debarked in NYC.

Our first time was doing the Carnival cruise round trip from NYC. It was so extraordinary to be departing so close to home with no flights involved. I can get very used to that :thumbsup2 My next cruise port to try is Baltimore.

For those who want an activity for arrival day: it's definitely very touristy, but even as a local I have taken the Circle Line sightseeing cruise and it's a great way to see a lot of NYC sights very quickly. It goes right by the Statue of Liberty and you can see a lot of other fun sights without having to get off the boat. That being said, perhaps getting on another boat after 11 days on one isn't the best idea...

If you get up early enough, the Magic should also go by the Statue of Liberty. Also, I think we dock on a Wednesday so if there are any theatre fans who are staying over (or leaving pretty late), you might consider seeing a Broadway show since most of them have Wednesday matinees. I've thought about that myself, but 1- I'd need to stow my luggage and even more importantly 2- I'd have to deal with taking a train home (with said luggage) during rush hour which would probably not be very pleasant.

And I should have a pretty good idea in October if I'll need to cancel or not. Hopefully I can work things out because the more I think about it, the more excited I get about taking this cruise.

If you get up early enough, the Magic should also go by the Statue of Liberty. Also, I think we dock on a Wednesday so if there are any theatre fans who are staying over (or leaving pretty late), you might consider seeing a Broadway show since most of them have Wednesday matinees. I've thought about that myself, but 1- I'd need to stow my luggage and even more importantly 2- I'd have to deal with taking a train home (with said luggage) during rush hour which would probably not be very pleasant.

And I should have a pretty good idea in October if I'll need to cancel or not. Hopefully I can work things out because the more I think about it, the more excited I get about taking this cruise.

My sympathies exactly. We are not allowed to officially ask for the time off until one year out -- so I won't know for sure until next month. And now my daughter is applying for a new position and may not be able to go at all in a year's time. I hate the unknowns because I want to start looking for airfares in October!

Has anyone thought about what they are going to do once they get to New York? I'm probably going to fly out that day but was wondering about maybe doing a tour or something. Can't find much though out there as solo so if anyone else is thinking of anything similar let me know. I found a tour on Viator that includes luggage transport for £500 roughly for up to 5 people and luggage. https://www.viator.com/tours/New-Yo...vate-Tour/d687-3112PRTNYCPOSTL/important-info

We were just in NYC and had a blast, but we are still planning on several days there when we dock and plan on doing the Statue of Liberty again as well as a few other touristy things that we had a lot of fun doing. We are backpacking through Europe before the cruise so will have pretty portable luggage and my husband will fly home same day so he will take an extra bag with him. It's just the kids and I staying behind and then taking an Amtrak home to extend the trip even longer! LOL

We were just in NYC and had a blast, but we are still planning on several days there when we dock and plan on doing the Statue of Liberty again as well as a few other touristy things that we had a lot of fun doing. We are backpacking through Europe before the cruise so will have pretty portable luggage and my husband will fly home same day so he will take an extra bag with him. It's just the kids and I staying behind and then taking an Amtrak home to extend the trip even longer! LOL

Last time we did the Statue of Liberty there was a package deal that you could buy that included Ellis Island -- which also shouldn't be missed.

So far I've chose not to worry about the time off. I'm trying to fit it into the "known" change which may not actually change. It is so hard not knowing if you will still have a job due to a merger or not. I figure if I do end up being somewhere else I'll be 100% clear in any and all interviews that I do have a honeymoon planned and hopefully that doesn't lose me any potential job changes. The only other "big" vacation we have next year is D23 Expo. Again if I'm in my current job no big deal but if that changes who knows.

Last time we did the Statue of Liberty there was a package deal that you could buy that included Ellis Island -- which also shouldn't be missed.

Yup we did that too, it's phenomenal! We collect National State Park stamps and it was one of our favorites! Next year we aiming to head up to the crown!

UPDATES: I have updated page one under TRAVEL INFORMATION AND TIPS to include some new taxi info and added a tab for excursion info. This is the spot where I will make all the updates. If anyone has any tips they want me to add, or a new tab, etc., just let me know.

Please note my new tab on page one for FYI. If you are flying in on that date, you may want to know. Of course, that IS the date we chose to fly in on, so should be fun getting through the city to the hotel!

Also, I just contacted the company I posted under excursion information -- Barcelona Day Tours -- and their response time was incredible and full of detailed information about private and semi-private tours. We were thinking of use them for the Girona/Costa Brava Tour. Anyone used them in the past? Also going to book them for the taxi from airport to hotel.

Like their city tour also because it includes a "skip the line" entry into Park Guell.

Last edited:
I need to get back into planning mode as I feel I've lost a few weeks with my med holiday! Great updates on tips etc. I am still in the debate mode about New York. If I wasn't travelling solo I might have been more inclined to stay the night but with coming in on my own and the fact I hate crowds I think I'm not going to enjoy it enough to stay there overnight.

FYI: Newfoundland will be the Canadian Dollar; all other ports on this itinerary take Euro.

OMG I hadn't even thought about this! Thanks for the heads up! I was still thinking we were going to the other St Johns which was USD

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter